• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Loaded long gun is a no-no. DNR regulation and W&C does not apply to long guns. A shotgun with a full side saddle is not loaded. A rifle with ammo on the stock (lever action/bolt action) is not loaded. An AR or AK with dual magazines (IE jungle style) with the empty magazine in the gun is not loaded.

I like AR's and ETS mags that can be coupled together. If you've never used jungle or coupled mags the ammo should be closest to the side that loads the gun.

If it were only on your person, it would be a “Wear Permit.” The “and carry” part is more like “transport.”

Meaning, no permit? Can’t have that loaded pistol in the vehicle console. Do have a W&C permit? You can.

Why that wouldn’t translate to a nice little carbine in the same setting I can’t imagine. Other than: Maryland.

I don't know if "carry" pertains to transporting or actually "carrying" (which seems to me would be redundant)

But you see what is once again happening here right? The purposely vague and confusing laws of this state have us questioning what's right and what's not..It's done that way to intimidate and confuse .. all to make a person think they better not try it just in case they are accidentally breaking the law..Even when there was no motive to purposely do so..

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Loaded long gun is a no-no. DNR regulation and W&C does not apply to long guns. A shotgun with a full side saddle is not loaded. A rifle with ammo on the stock (lever action/bolt action) is not loaded. An AR or AK with dual magazines (IE jungle style) with the empty magazine in the gun is not loaded.

I like AR's and ETS mags that can be coupled together. If you've never used jungle or coupled mags the ammo should be closest to the side that loads the gun.

Amen

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I'll give you the most honest answer I can and one I pass along to officers I train... (IMO it applies to anybody)

Because we can't pick the date, time, or circumstances of that fight should it come and as such, we do everything we can to give ourselves the advantage no matter how small or how unlikely that advantage may be.
    yes.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Knowing what on line legal advice is often worth, I still have a question. I have an unrestricted Md CCW. What’s the prohibition of having a cased, loaded, shotgun in the trunk? A cased unloaded shotgun in the trunk, ammo in a box in another part of the trunk? I am aware that there are crim and DNRlaws re transporting a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Question is, does CCW affect this? Wear, carry, transport?

You must have been reading my mind, I was considering starting a thread and asking this question today as well.

I think the real answer is this has never been tested in MD court. It would be up to the judge or jury.

Its impossible to know the outcome of a court case that has never happened. MSP might fold, but PG and MoCo would be asking for the death penalty.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    You must have been reading my mind, I was considering starting a thread and asking this question today as well.

I think the real answer is this has never been tested in MD court. It would be up to the judge or jury.

Its impossible to know the outcome of a court case that has never happened. MSP might fold, but PG and MoCo would be asking for the death penalty.

I'll go back to smokey's post. An AR pistol. Problem solved.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it were only on your person, it would be a “Wear Permit.” The “and carry” part is more like “transport.”

Meaning, no permit? Can’t have that loaded pistol in the vehicle console. Do have a W&C permit? You can.

Why that wouldn’t translate to a nice little carbine in the same setting I can’t imagine. Other than: Maryland.

Why is because no loaded long guns is natural resources law. Nominally to combat poaching. The west and carry law doesn’t exempt that.

Probably for the same reason. MD doesn’t really care about self defense. And I guess their rationale is, you can already carry a loaded handgun. Why does a long gun also need to be loaded in the vehicle?

IMHO, if you are already carrying a loaded handgun, just have the long gun along for the ride and ready to be, but not actually loaded.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    A Keltec Sub 2000 fits nicely into a laptop case when folded and the mags fit into the side pouch well.
    If you carry a handgun that uses the same magazines, it makes a great backup gun.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Mossberg shockwave is a handgun in Maryland and therefore bound by the state’s transport restrictions of regulated firearms.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Mind you, I'm not promoting the idea. Merely adding to the conversation.

Where would this fall under an unrestricted W&C?

That’s an interesting question. Would a loaded Mossberg 500 be illegal and a loaded shockwave be legal? Would you need a scabbard to show intent of carrying it?
    Maybe a backpack would do.

Attachments

• 0342FAE7-42C1-480A-B10F-2E9573CA0EFD.jpeg
      0342FAE7-42C1-480A-B10F-2E9573CA0EFD.jpeg
      43.2 KB · Views: 245

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I doubt a holster would have any involvement. As far as I recall the only mention of a holster in MD law is for legal transport by non W&C citizens, the mention of an enclosed holster. Permitees can pocket carry if they wish.

If you have your hunting license, hunting gear and a bunch of dead birds, squirrels or rabbits in your vehicle, you'd definitely be toast, but outside of that, its a toss up. Nothing presented so far convinces me that its anything but untested law.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Mind you, I'm not promoting the idea. Merely adding to the conversation.

Where would this fall under an unrestricted W&C?

"Fall" in what way?

It's a handgun in Maryland, and just like an AR pistol, can be carried just like any other handgun in Maryland with a W&C permit, wether unrestricted or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom