• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm just about ready to put my Christmas gifts to use and start reloading 223 cartridges. Here's what I have on hand.

1lb H335
    1lb Varget
    1000 CCI Small Rifle Primers NO. 400
    2000 55 GR. FMJ-BT W/C

1) Can you give me advice on a receipt for 223, 55 grain plinking ammo? I plan to use the 55 grain ammo for practicing for and participating in 3-Gun competitions. The primary use would be for targets out to 150 yards. I have 2lbs of powder that I think would do the trick. I think the H335 is better suited for smaller bullets like the 55gr.

2) Can you give me advice on a receipt for 223 long range ammo? I would be using these for targets out to 600 yards in 3-Gun competitions. I want these rounds to be more accurate than my plinking rounds. I don't have any heavy 223 bullets yet so suggestions on bullets would be helpful also.

3) Has anyone used the Hodgdon CFE powder? I'm just getting started loading 223 rounds so I'm not tied to any powders yet. It sounds like the CFE might be a good powder to get started with.

4) I plan on using an automatic RCBS powder dispenser/scale. That might be too slow for reloading 223 rounds in bulk. Any suggestions on a powder dispenser? I might get a Dillon 550B at some point so it would be nice if I could use it on the Dillon if I get one.

Thanks much and Happy Holidays,
    Eric

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    What stu929 said.....slow down and read. Take your time and don't try to be a hero. Use published load data only. Don't trust anyone's internet recipe, including mine!

Enjoy!

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I have had great luck with H335.

Look up the load in a reloading manual, people can make mistakes posting recipes which could result in bad things.

If you don't have one, get one or two.

There are also some online lookups as well I use.

The loads for different ranges depend on a lot of things, including the firearm you are shooting them from.

I would start with making some target practice rounds for 100 yards or less, get the kinks worked out of your system and process and then move on from there.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Any suggestions on any published load data online?

In terms of checking for accuracy. I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x scope mounted on my AR. My eyes are not good enough to aim well enough to test my guns accuracy at 100 yards with 4x power. I suspect to fully test the loads, I will need to mount one of my higher magnification scopes on my AR for the load development process.

I suspect that the powder I choose will have to be somewhat temp insensitive. There should be a big difference in the bore temperature between the first shot and the last shot in a string of 30.

BTW, I'm using a 18 inch SS 1 in 7 twist barrel. It's a Stag Arms 3G upper.

Thanks,
    Eric

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'll echo what the others have said.

H-335 is a GREAT powder for .223/5.56x45mm!!!!!!!!!!!

Read loading manuals.
    You don't want to load 'maximum' or even 'minimum' from the loading manuals.

I've found the best accuracy to be about in the middle range of the data, to just above the middle range.

Read, understand and follow all accepted safety practices, and READ the manuals.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I've had a lot of success with Varget and 52 gr SMK's.

You should always work up your own recipe's, as each rifle and barrel are a little different. I typically start a little under 1/2 way in the published range and work my up in .5 grain increments until I find a good accuracy node.

As far as advice for long range / match ammo...instead of a recipe I'll give you some general advice. Accuracy is about consistency. There are some big payoff and some smaller to negligible payoff steps when it comes to consistency. Biggest payoff step IMHO is a consistent powder measure. I would take the time to throw a light charge and trickle up.

Have fun, stay safe!

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    What stu929 said.....slow down and read. Take your time and don't try to be a hero. Use published load data only. Don't trust anyone's internet recipe, including mine!

Enjoy!
    Agreed, and maintain an accurate log of your speeds. It will give you a base to work from. We've had pretty good luck with varget for longer range ammo. I've been playing with sierra 69gr & 77gr bthp for far away steel. Goodluck.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The one thing about min and max every book varies on what it feels is mix and max and some books vary by a lot so cross reference and try the loads as you work up.

I also recently ended up with what seems to be a slow lot of powder that for all i can tell should be more than enough to run my carbine but instead of a mild/mid load like most of my rifles love I had to go all the way to the posts max load to get it to run right though still no pressure signs. I guess this lot was a little slow....

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    69 gr SMK / Varget load

I had a Del-Ton carbine with 1/7 twist 16" barrel...that thing loved 69 grain SMKs over 25.0 grains of Varget. Sierra recommends COAL of 2.260" if you magazines will feed reliably. Consistently got MOA or better accuracy with this carbine with a 3X scope and parts kit trigger.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I won't waste your time with yet another post that tells you to get several manuals and do your homework. I agree with them, you should do that.

In my rifles, this load is very accurate:

H335, 24.5 grains, 2.25 COL, Hornady 55 grain HPBT.

This is not reloading advice, do your homework. Oh, and ... have fun.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I'm just about ready to put my Christmas gifts to use and start reloading 223 cartridges. Here's what I have on hand.

1lb H335
    1lb Varget
    1000 CCI Small Rifle Primers NO. 400
    2000 55 GR. FMJ-BT W/C

1) Can you give me advice on a receipt for 223, 55 grain plinking ammo? I plan to use the 55 grain ammo for practicing for and participating in 3-Gun competitions. The primary use would be for targets out to 150 yards. I have 2lbs of powder that I think would do the trick. I think the H335 is better suited for smaller bullets like the 55gr.

2) Can you give me advice on a receipt for 223 long range ammo? I would be using these for targets out to 600 yards in 3-Gun competitions. I want these rounds to be more accurate than my plinking rounds. I don't have any heavy 223 bullets yet so suggestions on bullets would be helpful also.

3) Has anyone used the Hodgdon CFE powder? I'm just getting started loading 223 rounds so I'm not tied to any powders yet. It sounds like the CFE might be a good powder to get started with.

4) I plan on using an automatic RCBS powder dispenser/scale. That might be too slow for reloading 223 rounds in bulk. Any suggestions on a powder dispenser? I might get a Dillon 550B at some point so it would be nice if I could use it on the Dillon if I get one.

Thanks much and Happy Holidays,
    Eric

Eric you should ask the gifters for the receipt if you want it. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The good news is, most .223 brass is similar in capacity. So you don't have to worry as much as some other calibers.

I ALWAYS recommend looking up the published data and working up your OWN load for YOUR rifle. If you use someone else's recipe, reduce the charge by 10% (or to the book starting load) and work up, checking for pressure signs.

I use H335 for my 55 grain loads. H335 is basically the same powder used for US military ammunition. So it should work well.

The best primers to use are CCI #41, these are the mil spec primers. CCI #450 SR Magnum primers are almost the same. Remington 7 1/2 are also good, and were used for US military ammunition produced by Remington.

Avoid soft primers, as that can lead to slam fires. Federal tend to have VERY soft cups. Wolf has hard cups and should be good.

Varget is very good for the heavier bullets and accurate loads. But you need to weigh charges, it doesn't meter well (none of the extruded/stick powders meter well).

All that said, my plinking recipe is:

Mil Surp brass
    55 gr FMJ-BT with cannlure
    25.0 grains H335
    CCI #450 primer

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    H335 meters well burns clean for me.
    Same plinking load traveler uses works for me
    Good luck op but you should build up your own loads from publish data