Like ticks and chiggers weren't enough....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    F you guys and your F'd up pictures of F'd up bugs.

What does SB281 say about flame throwers? 'Cause I'm getting one. Now.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I wonder if thats what got me yesterday!

I actually posted in the Black Widow thread asking if anyone else had been bitten to help identify what got me it was that bad.

But the pattern of the sting is almost identical to what you get on google for "puss moth sting"

Stung on the back of the wrist and it felt like my hand/wrist were being perpetually broken for ~12 hours

I'm burning down that tree I was mowing under...never liked it anyway :)

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I was out in the garden and saw this innocuous creature crawling on my hand and went to flick it off when it either bit, burned or shot me in the finger. It felt like it was burning and it still itches days later.

It left a tiny red mark about the size of a pin prick.

It is called a "Wheel Bug" and is related to the "Assassin Bug".

WheelBug3-778090.JPG

Wheel Bug (Arilus cristatus) 1.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was out in the garden and saw this innocuous creature crawling on my hand and went to flick it off when it either bit, burned or shot me in the finger. It felt like it was burning and it still itches days later.

It left a tiny red mark about the size of a pin prick.

It is called a "Wheel Bug" and is related to the "Assassin Bug".

View attachment 95897

View attachment 95898

I got bit by something like that in MD...felt like battery acid...didn't really do any damage. I also stepped on something in the yard and it left 6 or 7 small black marks and it swelled up about a half dollar size on my foot...hurt like hell but didn't really itch that much...I never did see what that was...but I still have my foot...:lol2:

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I saw something similar to the OP back when I was a kid. Saw one of these suckers on three consecutive years in the same tree in August timeframe. Ugly as sin and looks like it would kill you if you looked at it wrong, but it's considered harmless. I didn't find that out until I googled it just now.

1385402-18958d71-ff3c-439d-b0fc-19165bba4a032.jpg

Hickory Horned Devil. About 6" long and 1" wide (body without the horns).

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    F.......why did I look at this thread.....man I hate bugs..and really spiders. Now I see some crab you need a 12ga. to kill.....

Someone could throw a brown paper bag balled up with pipe cleaner legs on it and I would start screaming.

This has been a weird year for bugs. I got scabies while turkey hunting. Took a couple of months to fully rid myself of those. Now I have these huge grubs at the bottom of the pool. They plug up the strainer and smell like death on a hot day when I dump them.

Assassin bugs are ok by me because they kill stink bugs. That's probably why we are seeing a lot of them (and praying mantis).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom