• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I was just accompanying my wife to a craft store and picked up a copy of this in the checkout aisle, thought it might be of interest to some.

2940160683386_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

Here is a pic of the table of contents page:

20220719_184238.jpg

It starts with some background on the invention of gunpowder, early cannon and artillery, and then follows the development of the rifle from the "Hand Gonne", Netherlands circa 1500 on page 12 through the Sharps 1856 Carbine and the Sharps Big 50 of 1872 on page 92.

There are sidebars on famous people and events, like "Guns at Little Bighorn", etc.

It was $15.99 on the rack but it looks like you can get the e-book for $13.99 at Barnes & Noble (which is where I stole the cover pic from).

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I saw this at the grocery store recently and thought about picking it up. You think it's worth it?

That's totally dependent upon the reader... it isn't a reference book or something that I can claim is very valuable or required reading.

I like history and this isn't a topic I know a lot about. If you don't like history, or already know far more about antique rifles than the information in the magazine, then it may not be for you.

Keep in mind it covers almost 400 years in ~80 pages, which may or may not be the right level of detail for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom