• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hi all,

The latest Prinary and Secondary modcast (Episode 341, linked to below on iTunes, though it's available in all the major podcast platforms) is a discussion between the host, Matt Landfair, and John Daub of KR Training, Erick Gelhaus (cop and Gunsite instructor), and Guy Relford, 2A and self defense lawyer (he represented Eli Dicken). Both Daub and Gelhaus had to use deadly force (legally), and both describe their own experiences in the events and the aftermath.

Like all P&S modcasts, it's long (I broke it up over some commutes and dogwalks), but this is a must-listen for all members here. From some bravado I've seen here over the years, there are at least a few members who seem almost eager to use deadly force, do third party interventions, etc. Give this a listen to learn what these experiences can be REALLY like. Lawyers, civl suits, PTSD, etc.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is the part often ignored. It’s why I was/am adamantly against Kyle Rittenhouse being in the situation he was allowed to be in.

I’ll give it a listen. Thanks for the post.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This is the part often ignored. It’s why I was/am adamantly against Kyle Rittenhouse being in the situation he was allowed to be in.

I’ll give it a listen. Thanks for the post.
    Saying he should have stayed home or that he should have done like the taco joint guy and rolled out after doing the work?

In all seriousness, some people are able to inflict violence without mental anguish but the majority are not. The legal assache is going to be unpleasant, regardless. Unless you dip out and get away with it (did they ever find taco joint guy in his highly distinctive pickup truck?)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Saying he should have stayed home or that he should have done like the taco joint guy and rolled out after doing the work?

In all seriousness, some people are able to inflict violence without mental anguish but the majority are not. The legal assache is going to be unpleasant, regardless. Unless you dip out and get away with it (did they ever find taco joint guy in his highly distinctive pickup truck?)
    I believe taco man came in from the cold(at least I recall hearing that).
    I will try and give this a listen during my commutes, if I can figure out how...

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm not sure. I'll have to sniff around and see if I can find an update.
    I'm still convinced the coup de grace shot was a ND.
    Even if it was an ND, that's why muzzle discipline is a thing.

Even if cleared of criminal charges, the scumbags family is going to try to win the ghetto lottery.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    He did a perfect job. I’m more worried about his psychological disposition. There is a big difference between the way soldiers are put in that position, with orders, support, desensitization in training etc., and a 17 year old alone in a riot.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    He did a perfect job. I’m more worried about his psychological disposition. There is a big difference between the way soldiers are put in that position, with orders, support, desensitization in training etc., and a 17 year old alone in a riot.
    Possible problem.

Not everyone is made to kill but some are. A guy I know escaped vietnam on a boat, and saw a lot of people die on the boat. He and his father both killed people in the process of getting the family out. He was about ten, based on his age now. I don't see any outward signs of trouble in him. He built a life here in the states, raised a family, and most would have no idea the road he travelled to get here.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Possible problem.

Not everyone is made to kill but some are. A guy I know escaped vietnam on a boat, and saw a lot of people die on the boat. He and his father both killed people in the process of getting the family out. He was about ten, based on his age now. I don't see any outward signs of trouble in him. He built a life here in the states, raised a family, and most would have no idea the road he travelled to get here.
    Oh, I get it. One of my best friends just retired after 20 years with 5th Group. Something like 10 tours. Silver Star for defending his guys with the M240 from their vehicle when it hit an IED and flipped over them came under attack. He’s bumped off a bunch of bad guys. Good Christian, a-hole wife, but good circle of friends. He has no problem with any of it. Certainly doesn’t broadcast, but is comfy in his own skin. OTOH, I know a cop who killed a couple of guys who killed his partner in a shoot out. Great guy, tough guy, too. Not in a bad way. Had PTSD badly.

I’d still rather not put 17 year olds in a position where they may need to shoot someone.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Oh, I get it. One of my best friends just retired after 20 years with 5th Group. Something like 10 tours. Silver Star for defending his guys with the M240 from their vehicle when it hit an IED and flipped over them came under attack. He’s bumped off a bunch of bad guys. Good Christian, a-hole wife, but good circle of friends. He has no problem with any of it. Certainly doesn’t broadcast, but is comfy in his own skin. OTOH, I know a cop who killed a couple of guys who killed his partner in a shoot out. Great guy, tough guy, too. Not in a bad way. Had PTSD badly.

I’d still rather not put 17 year olds in a position where they may need to shoot someone.
    Better not to put anyone in that position but I can say for a fact that the young ones (a LOT younger than 17 included) think about it a lot less before pulling the trigger. And you know even better than I do that the military wants em young for a reason.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Better not to put anyone in that position but I can say for a fact that the young ones (a LOT younger than 17 included) think about it a lot less before pulling the trigger. And you know even better than I do that the military wants em young for a reason.
    Yep.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Time builds callus. The trick is living long enough to allow them to form.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At least as much is dealing with society's reaction to you , as to the actual events .

Cynically , but true - You have to be alive afterwards to have PTSD .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    At least as much is dealing with society's reaction to you , as to the actual events .

Cynically , but true - You have to be alive afterwards to have PTSD .
    Agree absolutely with this.

The first part is especially true of OIS for sworn officers. Highly politicized self defense shoots go high on this scale as well (Rittenhouse).

The second part is unassailably true in every case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom