• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WWII_M1er

Oct 3, 2014
    Hello All,

Looking for a little insight / advice on a call I received last night. I received a phone call from a Baltimore area code identifying himself as Sgt Jones from the MSP Licensing Division. He requested a interview this week in regards to an application I submitted. I am trying to a validity check on the mans background (make sure my identification isn't out there an a random dude is trying to lure me to Waldorf). Any insight guys and gals? Quick responses appreciated.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Hello All,

Looking for a little insight / advice on a call I received last night. I received a phone call from a Baltimore area code identifying himself as Sgt Jones from the MSP Licensing Division. He requested a interview this week in regards to an application I submitted. I am trying to a validity check on the mans background (make sure my identification isn't out there an a random dude is trying to lure me to Waldorf). Any insight guys and gals? Quick responses appreciated.

He did my interview. Good guy. His report will carry a lot of weight with the final verdict.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    When trying to verify someone's identity or organizational ties, especially in the case of a police officer, you should always call the organization to verify instead of an on line forum. If you are that worried about your name being "out there", just sayin.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    When did you apply. Date that is. Wondering how long it took to schedule your interview?

No body

ElijahJudah

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 8, 2016
    Is the face-to-face interview required for all wear n carry applicants? Do business owners need to have a face to face interview?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    First. Did you apply?
    Second. Where is he interviewing you? Local barracks?

Answer both yes.. No worries.. Simple as that.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    When did you apply. Date that is. Wondering how long it took to schedule your interview?

No body

I applied in Jan and got my in person interview March 4th. The Trooper called and talked with my refs the week before..

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    First. Did you apply?
    Second. Where is he interviewing you? Local barracks?

Answer both yes.. No worries.. Simple as that.

I don't know about the others who do interviews, but SGT Jones goes to the applicant. He's out of Baltimore, but he was willing to meet me in Southern MD. Great dude.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hello All,

Others have already given you good advice here. This is the great thing about this forum, very knowledgable and helpful people abound.

If you have the phone number he called you from, you can simply google it and see if its connected with the LD (licensing division). He could have called you from his personal phone, so you could call and ask the LD if Sgt Jones is working your application, and thank them for processing your paperwork, its a thankless job that I bet most of them wish a civilian agency could do. Not everywhere are police relegated to doing these interviews, I think its better left to a private company or other state agency; but this is how it is in Maryland. Would be very easy to just lay out the process for applicants, that includes the same MANDATORY background check that they do for many sensitive professions, then, unless the person is disqualified (for a legitimate reason); simply issue them a permit. This is the very definition of 'SHALL ISSUE', so easy a caveman could do it. But instead, because of (mostly racism) a bunch of crooked politicians that have taken over OUR statehouse; we waste a lot of time and money, and have to attend rallies, fight to keep the rights we have, and execute law-suits - what a HUGE cluster!

I digress.

I'm very confident you got a real phone call from a real officer; I've spoken with many of them, all so far knew what they were doing and had their heart in the right place. We're lucky to have such a professional LE agency at the state level.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Back during the post Woolard "365" period, some members reported having their interview done via a phone call.

I've heard that too. I know several of you guys that got in during that 'open season' period. I wish it had turned out better for all of you; but I know many now have reapplied and are hoping to get a favorable appeal by the Handgun Permit Review Board (HPRB).

When there is a rush, lots of agencies will do telephonic interviews. I've been interviewed many times by MDSP investigators for other folks who have applied for permits. I think its a good idea to do the first 'subject' interview in person; but not really necessary. Even for national security interviews, they will do the reference interviews over the phone if requested by the interviewee's (references, not the subject). As long as there is no derogatory info, they will take it. Makes sense to me, and saves time and money.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Just another data point.
    I had my interview a few days ago. It was in person at the Maryland State Police Licensing Division in Pikesville. My investigator did not appear or imply to be a MSP trooper.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What was your g&s? If you want to pm me that is fine

Nobody

Immediately after Woollard, G&S was not needed. I just put self defense. After Woollard was overturned by the 4CA, the apps that were being held during the litigation by the MSP were returned disapproved. i was one of the 365 who thought we would get a permit until Woollard was overturned.

You were more right than I was.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no because MSP used the word DISAPPROVED, not denied. big difference.

Attachments

• msp.jpg
      msp.jpg
      13.2 KB · Views: 175

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Ummmm... I just had my interview with a Sgt from the maryland state police, when we spoke on the phone he looked at my address- he asked "can we meet at the Frederick county Sherifs" so I'm sure you will meet somewhere as in police station, not the end of a dirt road.. verify his identity, really?

Hello All,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom