• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've owned three of them. I'm down to one left and have no plans to sell it. My Marlin 336 in .30-30 was a fine deer rifle, I don't hunt. My Marlin 1894 was expensive to feed and a waste at an indoor range, but a fine carbine regardless. I still have a Marlin 39A in .22. It is simply one of the finest rifles ever built in America.

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I've owned three of them. I'm down to one left and have no plans to sell it. My Marlin 336 in .30-30 was a fine deer rifle, I don't hunt. My Marlin 1894 was expensive to feed and a waste at an indoor range, but a fine carbine regardless. I still have a Marlin 39A in .22. It is simply one of the finest rifles ever built in America.

thats what I like about lever-action rifles. its a feeling of americana. its whats pushing me away from the Rossi. i honestly want one as a fun gun. so whats an affordable lever-action thats not totally lame?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    thats what I like about lever-action rifles. its a feeling of americana. its whats pushing me away from the Rossi. i honestly want one as a fun gun. so whats an affordable lever-action thats not totally lame?

Define afordable. A Marlin 336 is a fine .30-30 and can be had under $400, maybe not so much this time of year. Winchester 1894's are popular. Henry is American made and has a wide following but I'd put a good Marlin 39 against any of their .22's any day. I think Henry DOES make one in .22WMR, which I think would be awesome.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you can find an older Marlin (before Remington f'ed them all up), it'll serve you well for many years.

My 336C (30-30) is older than I am and shoots very well considering your normally using soft-point ammo. The newer Remington/Marlins I've seen and shot, just don't feel as smooth in the action and don't seem to stack up on build quality when compared against an older Marlin.

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Define afordable. A Marlin 336 is a fine .30-30 and can be had under $400, maybe not so much this time of year. Winchester 1894's are popular. Henry is American made and has a wide following but I'd put a good Marlin 39 against any of their .22's any day. I think Henry DOES make one in .22WMR, which I think would be awesome.

under $500 is affordable.:cool: and thanks for all the info!

thunderstick has a marlin in 357 mag. in stock.

thunderstick? sorry if thats a stupid question , i'm new here.

If you can find an older Marlin (before Remington f'ed them all up), it'll serve you well for many years.

My 336C (30-30) is older than I am and shoots very well considering your normally using soft-point ammo. The newer Remington/Marlins I've seen and shot, just don't feel as smooth in the action and don't seem to stack up on build quality when compared against an older Marlin.

i'll definitely take this into account. thanks for the info

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thunderstick is an Industry Partner in PA.

$500 will buy a good rifle. Your next challenge is to figure out it's purpose and that will lead to caliber. Levers can be had from rimfire to pistol caliber to bear killing rifle rounds. There are 12ga lever actions but they're either very old and expensive or imported copies.

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Thunderstick is an Industry Partner in PA.

$500 will buy a good rifle. Your next challenge is to figure out it's purpose and that will lead to caliber. Levers can be had from rimfire to pistol caliber to bear killing rifle rounds. There are 12ga lever actions but they're either very old and expensive or imported copies.

purpose would be a fun gun. just to shoot at the range etc. i was looking in the pistol calibers ( .357 , .454 casull , etc. ) and $500 is my very top lol. like any red-blooded american i'd love to save money :D

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Not anymore. Just looked at the site. Been looking for a .357 lever action but it seems like Rossi has the only ones reasonably available.

My Rossi .38/.357 sold several months back before I had finished loading pictures for more than I paid for it. I picked up a Henry Golden Boy in .22LR which is more pleasing aesthetically and has better stock sights, and was cheaper. Just my opinion for a plinker.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I have a Savage 93 in .17HMR which is a tack driver and sooo much fun to shoot. I wish I'd opted for the same gun in .22 mag instead - the ammo is cheaper.

honestly we have even more fun with the mosin nagants (we have two one round reciever 91/30 infantry and one sniper) and the old russian surplus ammo is so cheap.

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I have a Savage 93 in .17HMR which is a tack driver and sooo much fun to shoot. I wish I'd opted for the same gun in .22 mag instead - the ammo is cheaper.

honestly we have even more fun with the mosin nagants (we have two one round reciever 91/30 infantry and one sniper) and the old russian surplus ammo is so cheap.

isn't the Savage 93 bolt-action?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The Rossi/Pumas aren't bad; fun shooters.
    But I think I'd agree with the above unless you're hunting or playing cowboy.

Rossi nowhere near equals Henry in fit and finish, yet everyone goes nuts over them. I thought it was a crappy shooter too.

I have both, plinking with 22LR is a heck of a lot cheaper than plinking with 357 magnum (thinking long term).

Rossie levers are fine guns (either the ranch hand or puma), Henry's are good also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom