• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i had hypershocks but didnt like them...switched to rage 2 blade...i have one down with it so I cant really say good or bad but this one had a good blood trail and only ran about 60yds

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have been using Muzzy 100 3 blade for years, no reason to change a good thing here. I do not care for mechanical heads. I want a fixed no issues hit.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I am considering switching from my Rage 3 blades to something different. The Rage 3 Blades have killed deer for me, but I have some issues with them. One is removing them from the quiver, I have to pay close attention to them and make sure all blades are locked in place. Its simple to keep an eye on, but a pain in the ass. I worry about a loose blade hanging out if I have to shoot twice. Another problem was that only two blades opened going into the deer I shot yesterday, but some how all 3 opened when it went through the heart.
    Didn't we have this conversation a while back, and I mentioned many of these things? :innocent0 ;)

I switched from my Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain to the Rage 2 blade 100 grain this year. ... The videos on the internet of the Rage 2 blades in action were enough for me to want to switch...
    Even on their demo videos, you rarely see a pass-through shot with the Rage. They do make a helluva wound though....on one side.

I'm not a "seasoned" hunter by any means, but in 4 years of hunting with 100g Muzzy MX-3's the only deer that I didn't recover, and recover within sight, was one that I put a bad shot on. This year alone I have put 3 arrows straight through an opposite shoulder, only one didn't pass all the way through (3-4 yo buck). And on two of those shots (quartering away), I had people ask me if it was a Rage 2-blade, the wound was so wide (a good 3" from one blade cutting hide from the angle).

Plus, if I have a shot at a doubler, I just pull an arrow out of the quiver and I'm ready to shoot (no messing with blades), and if I'm stalking, I don't have to constantly check to make sure blades are in place if I bump a branch or leaf or the wind blows.

There's a lot of broadheads out there, and they all will kill a deer. You just have to find one that does it easily.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    hmm I must shoot a magic bow, in 8 deer (last 2 seasons using rage 2 blade) they all went though both sides of a deer

Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    I am using the 3 blade blood runners. The whistle is annoying but I like the reliablilty and less worry about opening. MY buddy swears by slick tricks 100 grain 4 blade.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I shoot Muzzy 3 blade, very strong and kill well. I am shooting a crossbow though. My buds love the Grimm Reapers. Both say they have seen every deer they have shot in the last few drop within sight. They are also quite strong. One shot a buck and it entered in the right shoulder and exited left ribs. Went right on through no problem. I would shoot them too, but cost is an issue especially since most of my deer drop within sight with the Muzzy's. Just can't jusify it.

Vic

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am using the 3 blade blood runners. The whistle is annoying but I like the reliablilty and less worry about opening. MY buddy swears by slick tricks 100 grain 4 blade.

I thought about those Slick Trick heads myself, but, then I said the same thing, I'm using the Muzzy 100 3 blade and they do a fine job, so, why try to improve on something I know I can kill with. The concept of mechanical blades is good, but, over all what's the point. I know a lot of guys who used mechanical heads and after about 2 seasons, they are back to fixed blade.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    ^^^ Just an FYI i saw muzzys on clearance at walmart yesterday for like 13 bucks. I dont shoot them or id have bought them. This was the one in abingdon.

REALLY ? I'd buy every package they had and then ask for the ones in the warehouse too. I have probably 7-8 brand new unopened six packs here now though.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I shoot Muzzy 3 blade, very strong and kill well. I am shooting a crossbow though. My buds love the Grimm Reapers. Both say they have seen every deer they have shot in the last few drop within sight. They are also quite strong. One shot a buck and it entered in the right shoulder and exited left ribs. Went right on through no problem. I would shoot them too, but cost is an issue especially since most of my deer drop within sight with the Muzzy's.

Vic

AMEN !

trent.hawk

Feb 11, 2010
    Do you need expandables? I'm a huge fan of muzzy 100 (four blade trucar point). They get my vote. Silent, very accurate, and they get the job done.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I like muzzy 125 3 blades never had any problems with accuracy and the extra weight really helps to punch through bone. Whatever you get don't get any 4 blades. Stick with the two or three.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Slicktrick tends to stay on my arrows...i have suggested to a few hunting buddies to try them and they all love them..

I hit two deer with them last week and watched them both fall...they get the job done for me.

I think there are many good heads on the market..just make sure you practice with them and they shoot good, and keep the blades super sharp.

Slicktrick i feel is one of the best because the really do fly like fieldpoints and tend to not plane or drift off target. I remember shooting other heads that you needed to tune and mess with..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom