Let's talk 10/22 barrels for one minute...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I was pretty dead set on an 18 or 20 inch threaded barrel.

However, after doing some research, a lot of people are regaling the 16 inch barrels.

I have a few requirements for my barrel:

- Shoot well suppressed
    - Be threaded
    - Accuracy

Bearing that in mind, would a 16 inch Tac Sol threaded barrel, or a 18 or 20 inch green mountain threaded barrel be better? Both are 1/16 twist.

If anyone has other suggestions for barrels, please chime in.

Chad, and Scar, looking forward to your responses especially, thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was pretty dead set on an 18 or 20 inch threaded barrel.

However, after doing some research, a lot of people are regaling the 16 inch barrels.

I have a few requirements for my barrel:

- Shoot well suppressed
    - Be threaded
    - Accuracy

Bearing that in mind, would a 16 inch Tac Sol threaded barrel, or a 18 or 20 inch green mountain threaded barrel be better? Both are 1/16 twist.

If anyone has other suggestions for barrels, please chime in.

Chad, and Scar, looking forward to your responses especially, thanks.

Ive seen some Tacsol barrels that dont shoot super accurate.

Green Mountain would be my choice but Im not sure if they make a factory threaded model. I dont know becasue I just thread them myself, but a factory threaded model will save you money.

The TacSol will be lighter. I like the heavier barrels, the gun stays on target better.

18 is a good compromise. 20" is too long and does nothing to improve anything beyong changing the balance.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    How hard is it to thread the original 10/22 barrel? Is it even possible/practical?

Very doeable. I have done many.

The front sight wont be there anymore but it looks good.

Usually you have to cut off about 1/2" to get the threads at the right length and have a solid shoulder.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would definitely go with a 20" heavy threaded barrel ( 1/2x28tpi).(1:16 twist)

This allows you to shoot standard velocity ammo and get subsonic performance. Anything over 14", the 22LR loses steam and begins to slow down. The slower projectile results in two major advantage:

1. Subsonic LR projectiles do not cross the sound barrier. That minimizer bullet flutter ( turbulence) and results in better accuracy. This is why most bench rest shooters shoot subsonic rounds. Not because they use suppressors. Everytime the 22LR crosses speed treshholds ( Supersonic- transonic- subsonic) , bullet stability is affected. Look at it as down shifting when driving a car and trying to keep your coffee from spilling at the same time. everytime you switch gears, you jerk the vehicle a bit. Staying in low speed ( subsonic) minimizes instability in a bullet during flight.

2. Not breaking the sound barrier ( staying subsonic) prevents sonic cracks. This is the major flaw of suppressors. While most quality suppressors efficiently dampen the actual noise or report. They do nothing for suppressing the sonic crack. ( The tip of indiana jones ' whip produces that crack when it breaks the sound barrier and that is loud). employing a 20" barrel on a 22LR, slows down the projectile to make it stay subsonic. It also allows you to shoot cheaper bulk ammo and get subsonic performance out of them.

The combination of a 20" barrel and suppressor gives you the best of both worlds. Stay away from the faster twist rates( 1:9) unless you are shooting 60 grain projectiles. These are best shot out of AR conversion kits.

Also,

A 16" tacsol barrel will result in supersonic velocities. This equates to breaking the sound barrier ( sonic crack), bullet flutter ( downshifting/ instability/ turbulence) , more noise and to correct these flaws, you must resort to expensive subsonic match ammo.

Scar

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    @ SCARCQB-> This is the second one of your post with this information that has really made me think about this sub vs. supper speed. Is the 20" that much more of a "brake" for the cheaper ammo than the 18"?

And I ask that question, because of the question you can't answer...why do the shorter barrels seem more sexy to me?

TIA:thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    @ SCARCQB-> This is the second one of your post with this information that has really made me think about this sub vs. supper speed. Is the 20" that much more of a "brake" for the cheaper ammo than the 18"?

And I ask that question, because of the question you can't answer...why do the shorter barrels seem more sexy to me?

TIA:thumbsup:

Your used to short things. I say stick with a little barrel for you. :lol2:

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    HighDesertDogs has factory pull off barrels that they thread and move back the original sight. I would go for that and then have Nemohunter at rfc do his magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom