• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Yeah, they said that about Christie too.

They also said Hogan would not win in the first place (in fact I bet you said that as well).

I didn't say that about Hogan. I thought it would be a close race and it was but you could see that the African American community had become fed up with the Obama administration and locally the O'Malley admin. On top of that the tax increases and lack of jobs in MD would drive the other communities either to the republicans or away from the poles. It was a toss up as to who would win. Brown was horrible and was still within 10 points of winning. This election showed us all that just being a Democrat will garner you a good percentage of votes in this state.

Good point about Christi. 2 terms. He is a good republican. Not done much for 2A though, but he was reelected!

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    Hogan cannot, by himself, repeal SB281; but he now has the opportunity to do a lot of good on 2A issues. SB281 ignored violent crime to only accomplish an anti-gun agenda. Proper gun legislation that removes violent criminals, especially recurring ones, from the streets would help fight the fear arguments used by the antis to convince average voters to support their gun grabs.

G&S is a timing issue to me. Including self defense in G&S early which allows for several years of demonstrated responsible CC gives us a better chance to fight any reversals in the future. When paired with stronger violent gun crime enforcement we are more likely to attract/convert others to accept responsible gun ownership even if they don't choose to own a gun themselves. A last minute change to G&S would only be used by a Dem challenger to discredit Hogan and would likely be almost immediately reversed by a Dem administration.

Hogan's reelection will require him to deliver on many fronts. Better fiscal policies, lesser regulation, lesser crime, recognition of 2A rights, etc. all will take time to show positive results in the state. If he waits too long on any of these, even with improvement and demonstration that his policies are working, he faces an extremely difficult reelection.

AC20814

American
    Mar 8, 2012
    Bethesda, MD
    I hope the state's refusal to codify an objective legal definition of G&S comes back to bite them in the ass, and that can happen without breaking ANY campaign promises. Their only practical remedy would be to finally define it-- which will surely make the folly of G&S easy to flaunt.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Hogan cannot, by himself, repeal SB281; but he now has the opportunity to do a lot of good on 2A issues. SB281 ignored violent crime to only accomplish an anti-gun agenda. Proper gun legislation that removes violent criminals, especially recurring ones, from the streets would help fight the fear arguments used by the antis to convince average voters to support their gun grabs.

G&S is a timing issue to me. Including self defense in G&S early which allows for several years of demonstrated responsible CC gives us a better chance to fight any reversals in the future. When paired with stronger violent gun crime enforcement we are more likely to attract/convert others to accept responsible gun ownership even if they don't choose to own a gun themselves. A last minute change to G&S would only be used by a Dem challenger to discredit Hogan and would likely be almost immediately reversed by a Dem administration.

Hogan's reelection will require him to deliver on many fronts. Better fiscal policies, lesser regulation, lesser crime, recognition of 2A rights, etc. all will take time to show positive results in the state. If he waits too long on any of these, even with improvement and demonstration that his policies are working, he faces an extremely difficult reelection.

Thank you.

Good points all. But the most important bit, to me, is timing.

We know a lot about where Larry stands on 2A, but--and I know it won't sit well here--it's down on the list of things to "fix" in MD.

Am I confident it's on the list? Definitely. Those who know me, understand that eye contact is my measure of character and resolve. When someone looks my ugly mug square on and tells me he's committed?? I know he is.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Christ it's like throwing a half naked hooker into general population at the local penitentiary. Slow the hell down guys. This state is so FUBAR.... gun rights are not the first thing that need to be addressed.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    ih23, that is well written, but I have to suggest the flip side to that. Another point of view is that if we could get the gun rights stuff out of the way early on, it would give time for crime to drop and actually improve the crime statistics in the state. Then at the end of his first term he could say, "hey everyone, look what happened".

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right. As Mr. H said above, timing is key. I hope it is sooner than later even though we have more pressing issues in this state.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Christ it's like throwing a half naked hooker into general population at the local penitentiary. Slow the hell down guys. This state is so FUBAR.... gun rights are not the first thing that need to be addressed.

Thank you. Hogan is going to have a ton of stuff on his plate & 2A, while important to us, may not be the most pressing issue he has to address.

Let's let him settle into office, get his administration established & work toward righting some of the wrongs of the previous administration.

I'll wait for 2A & CCW issues for the time being, but he'll know our "wants" are festering in the background.

Let's give the guy a chance to work his magic & who knows, a 2nd term may be possible, but let's focus on the 1st term for now.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    ih23, that is well written, but I have to suggest the flip side to that. Another point of view is that if we could get the gun rights stuff out of the way early on, it would give time for crime to drop and actually improve the crime statistics in the state. Then at the end of his first term he could say, "hey everyone, look what happened".

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right. As Mr. H said above, timing is key. I hope it is sooner than later even though we have more pressing issues in this state.

I like this too, especially since crime is going to follow a downward trend regardless. O'Malley exploited this, no reason we can't as well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

The crime statistics are dependent upon a lot of things. Increase welfare handouts and there is less reason for people to resort to crime.Then again, one can also increase the prosperity of the citizens of the state and that usually leads to less crime. Increase the criminal penalties and the time in prison and that will reduce crime. Legalize carry for the law abiding and that will reduce crime too. Way too many factors to say "increased carry" is the sole reason for a reduction in crime.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    The crime statistics are dependent upon a lot of things. Increase welfare handouts and there is less reason for people to resort to crime.Then again, one can also increase the prosperity of the citizens of the state and that usually leads to less crime. Increase the criminal penalties and the time in prison and that will reduce crime. Legalize carry for the law abiding and that will reduce crime too. Way too many factors to say "increased carry" is the sole reason for a reduction in crime.

Ahh, but I wasn't asking for just carry restrictions to be lifted. Though all of the reasons you listed are more reasons to improve the gun laws now. Who cares what it is that makes the crime rates drop? Minimize the restrictions>improve prosperity>Increase penalties>and reduce our taxes= crime goes down. When the public sees that crime goes down, it can be blamed on Concealed Carry. :innocent0

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    How about loosen your panties, have a cold beer, sit back and relax and let the man get sworn in before acting the whiney 3 year old ass. There are things he can do with a pen and things he can't. In the meantime let him build his cabinet and actually take over as governor. He's got a crapton more on his plate than you do I'm sure.

You people that want instant results and want to start pressuring the newly elected guy before he's has a chance to do more than take a well deserved nap after the election crack me up.

I fully understand, It's like winning a Million Dollar Lotto, you just can't wait to get that check. I'm sure it's coming but can't wait to have it in my hand.
    Understandable it's going to take time both on the Local and Federal level.

I stayed up all night watching the returns, too tell the truth I felt like a kid on the way to Disneyland, as the numbers came in I could not wait to land and walk through the Gates of the Magic Mountain.

I understand because I'm in a "State" of elation seeing something I thought not possible.

I need to calm down and purchase a Star 9mm with my C&R and load up that empty case of 9mm, let the new Government clean House and start working on 2016. Can you believe it, both Houses and the Gov. of Md. I can't remember this happening before in my lifetime.

I know we need to wait but you need to forgive me my excitement.

For those who watched the full Obama speech can you believe the arrogance of that Ass, he blamed the loss on failure of young Blacks to get out and Vote. If I heard 2/3's once I heard it a dozen times. He threatened the new Congress with continuing to pass unconstitutional Executive Actions unless they passed Bills to his liking. On at least three occasions he inferred the new Speaker was an Alcoholic. Twice he said If I met with him for a drink of Kentucky Bourbon and a third time when he said I don't know what kind of Bourbon he drinks.

It's been a while since I was familiar with the succession of the Presidency, please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the Speaker third in line to the Presidency. Maybe I'm reading too much into the Alcohol references but it just struck me wrong on several level’s as did his entire Speech. As I said for me my focus is on the 2016 Election. Although I would love to see that Magic Pen my Firearm business will be as usual in Md. augmented by out of State Gun Shows.

Congratulations to all the Winners and thank you to the 1/3 of the American population that Obuma despises. God bless them all.

Eddie O

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Bait not taken. Goodbye.

There is no bait there. Maybe just some short memories. Erich didn't deliver for the 2A community. Furthermore he treated the sportsmens community like he had them in his pocket. Now I'll bet they didn't vote against him but many of those folks took a screw this attitude and didn't vote at all.

Hogan has four years that's not knee cutting that's political realism. Brown ran an incompetent campaign in a very bad democratic year. That won't happen next time. We will have a new White House. Hopefully a recovered economy and no one will care. The FSA will be lined up for its cheese and will vote accordingly.

Also, the GA will block him at every turn same as Erlich and slots so why wait for our end. Anything he can accomplish with his pen I expect him to do. ASAP.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Politics is what they think you can do.

You want to cut His knees and call it realism.. fine..

Here's realism... I don't need to stay in MD. And nothing will drive me out faster than short term thinking.

So with that said... we have a legistive session coming up..

Should I show up at all? If so why?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How about a nice congratulations letter on a hard fought win, and kindly ask him to define "good and substantial reason" in the COMAR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom