• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I know you won't care, but I think it's sad you have this attitude.

It sounds to me like your word doesn't mean anything.

I would have to have an incredibly exigent circumstance to cancel at the last second, and even then, I likely wouldn't, as when I give my word, it's as good as pledging my life.

The funny thing is, that I DO care. I care about my reputation. I care about my word, very much. I believe myself to be an honest man, more honest than most even. And I knew I'd get pushback. But it's a dynamic world.

As far as "incredibly exigent circumstance," things happen. Story time.

I went to privately buy a car once off of a newspaper classified (when people still did that), agreed to the purchase, and the car literally dumped its' coolant on the road just before money changed hands. Yeah...no. The situation changed. If it happened half an hour later I would have been unhappy but wouldn't be trying to go back on the deal. The seller was unhappy and tried to BS me that it wasn't a big deal as a green puddle formed on the parking lot.

I agreed to sell an extension ladder when moving out of my old house. $100 agreed to (a serious bargain, I think). The slimy bugger brought $75 after texting me over and over to make sure I didn't sell it to someone else. I said hell no. He magically came up with the full amount. I still said "hell, no." Sold it shortly after to one of several other people who had been texting me about it.

I went to sell a car (privately) and the buyer kept delaying, changing the time to meet, and being a pain in the ass. So I sold it to someone else after a few days. I told him I was going to if he didn't step up. He accused me of not honoring my word, too. Screw him. I didn't feel obligated to be strung along until he could (or not) finally get things organized.

I sold my old boat (privately). The buyers financing fell through (we agreed on a grand for Christmas Sake) and he had to back out. Sucks, but life happens. I wasn't mad at him for it. I was annoyed. I sold it to someone else later that week for $1,200, so good for me.

I almost sold a gun to someone 25 or more years ago (not in Maryland). A friend of a friend. Met him at a party, he seemed ok. He wanted a budget gun, I wanted to upgrade, so we made a deal. Met the dude later at his place. I got bad feelings about things. Backed out. Eventually traded it in at a gunstore for a sweet used S&W 6906 for something like half what the guy was offering. I don't feel bad about that at all. The friend eventually told me that the guy was a real dick and should never be trusted. Gut won.

I pulled out of another deal (rifle) when my Father died. Life got chaotic. Seller understood. I felt bad, but my priorities where clear. I suppose if the seller made a stink I would have found the time to finish the deal, but he was pretty cool about the whole thing.

I've lived a long enough life now that I've accumulated a lot of stories. Surely many more than listed here, although these are all that come to mind right now. Rarely are things black and white. Things happen. Reasonable people understand. Sometimes feelings get hurt. We try our best. What else can we do?

For what it is worth, I've agreed to sell stuff, gotten a better offer, and did not back out of an agreed deal for a few more bucks. Not the way I role.

If there is a history of repeated unethical behavior, I can understand being upset. But sometimes things change.

In the end, until the money moves it doesn't really count. Hell, I've bought things retail online, been later told the product was backordered, and eventually had the order canceled. This isn't even that uncommon. So don't count chickens, and all that stuff.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'd give away 99% of my possessions before I broke my word over selling one. Things happen and I've had to change plans, but if we agree to a deal, I'm not backing out. I'm not saying I was 100% perfect as a kid or young man, but I've learned over the years that good people will shut you out really quickly if they can't trust your word. The rest of the people really don't matter because you can't trust them for anything.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I told the OP that I had to back out and told him the reason. The details of the trade are no one's business but ours. I did apologize to him about backing out. He seemed to be getting hostile with me after I told him so I blocked him which is why he couldn't text me anymore. There should be no problem for him to return what was purchased for the pistol. Sadly no one can please everyone and those who I have met through deals, the range and stores know how I am and things were always positive. This was the first deal I ever ended with a meet-up planed since I was in a position where I needed to do so. I no longer have it because of said situation.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've bought a number of firearms from users here and, to date, all have been smooth transactions. And then ...

Fordracer2082 posted a WTT for his S&W M&P 2.0. We worked out the details. He accepted my offer and we made plans to meet for the paperwork. I ordered an aluminum Apex trigger kit and OWB for it.

Couple of days before meeting he pulled out, changed his mind. No trade or sale. Now I have $200.00 worth of trigger and holster I don't need.

MdShooters rightly points out this site is for users and the site is not responsible for the interactions. I've assumed MDShooter participants were decent human beings, but not all I guess. Lesson Learned.

You assumed that everyone on an online forum, despite being mostly total strangers, are close buddies because of common interests. Self interest and individual ethics still apply here just as with mostly total strangers in any other situation

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I bought a few things from people on the classifieds here. everything went well with my purchases.

I had an old bug I put up for sale on the classifieds several years ago. A member offered me $75 and then he committed to buy and then he immediately left me a negative feedback. He was soon banned for some other reason, and I look like an ******* with negative feedback.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The funny thing is, that I DO care. I care about my reputation. I care about my word, very much. I believe myself to be an honest man, more honest than most even. And I knew I'd get pushback. But it's a dynamic world....
    Thank you Crazytrain for your thoughtful reply.

I think perhaps, we are not so different. If someone agreed to price A, and then showed up and said A-, that person broke the deal.

Henceforth on MDS, you will also (like me) be known as Pike Bishop. :thumbsup:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Thank you Crazytrain for your thoughtful reply.

I think perhaps, we are not so different. If someone agreed to price A, and then showed up and said A-, that person broke the deal.

Henceforth on MDS, you will also (like me) be known as Pike Bishop. :thumbsup:

I had this happen once with a drum set I sold

He really didn't expect me to send him back to Delaware empty handed...

Honor goes both ways

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You assumed that everyone on an online forum, despite being mostly total strangers, are close buddies because of common interests. Self interest and individual ethics still apply here just as with mostly total strangers in any other situation

I've been lucky. Every deal that I've been involved with here has gone great. The sellers all did what they said they'd do and I did the same. I have been able to meet some very fine people this way.

Heck, I've even bought a few things from you and everything went smooth as silk! LOL!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One of the main reasons I don't normally buy from the Classifieds is situations like the OP's. On record, I've only made one blind purchase(Dillon 550) from a member here and it went well. Luckily. People don't all dance to the same sheet music. And in there lies the rub. That is a poor excuse for bad practices.

In my personal opinion, it is a different matter if a buyer backs out of a deal as opposed a seller. Deals are made as an agreement between two parties. Deals are never done until money and product change hands. It is quite normal for a prospective buyer to back out of a deal. Things happen and money needs to go somewhere else(think of someone trying to buy a car). But, when a deal is made between two parties and the seller backs out, I see that as a problem. Imagine again, you are buying a car. Your offer is accepted by the seller. Then you go to pay for the car and take it home only to find out the deal is queered. That's just bad business practice.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'd give away 99% of my possessions before I broke my word over selling one. Things happen and I've had to change plans, but if we agree to a deal, I'm not backing out. I'm not saying I was 100% perfect as a kid or young man, but I've learned over the years that good people will shut you out really quickly if they can't trust your word. The rest of the people really don't matter because you can't trust them for anything.

*****Same. No way I break my word if I agree to a deal. I don't care if it costs me money. Your word is your bond.

Attachments

• bond.jpg
      bond.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 371

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I’ve bought a few things and they have all been good experience . Actually have had a lot of help from members on varies things . Sad to here .

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Most people's word doesn't mean a thing

Fordracer2082 posted a WTT for his S&W M&P 2.0. We worked out the details. He accepted my offer and we made plans to meet for the paperwork. I ordered an aluminum Apex trigger kit and OWB for it...Now I have $200.00 worth of trigger and holster I don't need.
    Bummer. Sounds like something I'd do. Buy something I like, and start ordering bling before it's in hand. I've had second thoughts about selling something and pulled an ad, but consider that once an offer is accepted, my word is more valuable than anything gained by going back. Apparently Fordracer2082 is like the majority of people, in that his word is negotiable, depending on the amount of gain. I've found in the business world that honesty is rare everywhere I look. It doesn't matter if people are religious, non-religious, conservative or liberal, the word of the majority means nothing. Sad.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    There is something on there right now at a 60% markup from retail. Says it is sold out. Says he bought an extra by mistake. It is out of stock online, but it's in stock at every store that carries it. It irked me as naked profiteering for a kids toy before Christmas, and deceptive salesmanship. Especially in light of the exceptional generosity of (most) of the members here.

Hey, that's my ad! Heck yeah it is naked profiteering (and there is zero wrong with that, and at the time the price I listed was less than the avg. sold price on eBay, currently sellers are actually losing money on these sets due to shipping and sellers fees, so clearly there is supply out there, apparently at brick and mortar Lego stores) but there is absolutely zero deceptiveness. Don't want to pay? Fine, I will sit on it for a couple years and about double my money.

I got up at midnight to go online to purchase one, the website was wonky, I assume from millions of people trying to pounce at once, and would not finalize the order, then it did, after multiple attempts to get it to go through, two went through. So I ended up with two of them. One I will build myself, the other I will sell at some point.

With regard to the OP's situation, the seller should be ashamed of breaching the contract like that!

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i've had that happen to me only once with multiple purchaces on this fourm , agreed to a price , drove 45 minutes the next morning , only to be told " i sold it last night " . was i pissed ? yes , but that's the way the cookie crumbles .

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Some of my best online transactions have been on this website over the years. I consider the trustworthiness of the members here to be very high, even if I shouldn’t. It’s mostly because everyone I’ve dealt with here has been a man (woman?) of their word. I’ve even shipped multiple things I had no intention on shipping because of this. I love selling stuff here.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I had this happen once with a drum set I sold

He really didn't expect me to send him back to Delaware empty handed...

Honor goes both ways

It wasn't a set of bongos was it? I seem to recall hearing a story involving bongos on here... 3% chance it's just MDS lore.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It wasn't a set of bongos was it? I seem to recall hearing a story involving bongos on here... 3% chance it's just MDS lore.

Yes. There is a nearly 100% chance of finding video somewhere around here detailing the fate of those bongos.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom