LEO Ignorance of SB281 (and gun law in general)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    So this isn't another rant about MSP interpretation, but more of a warning/reminder/heads up.

There is no reason to expect that that any individual LEO (MSP or otherwise) will be up to speed on gun law after Oct 1.

Case in point, yesterday I did a transfer at MSP barracks, and the trooper in charge was ignorant on multiple points.

1. He didn't know that SBR's were handled differently and I believe would have (if we had tried) processed the transaction of an SBR as a normal regulated firearm not knowing the difference.
    2. Although we had done our homework regarding transfer via Power of Attorney, he had "never heard of it before" and completely took our word for it in allowing us to transfer to a person who wasn't present (with only a photocopy of the license :|).
    3. When asked to confirm the possession vs purchase of 20rd+ mags after Oct 1 (just wanted to hear someone from MSP say it :)) his response was to ask us "What is the limit going to be when it changes?"

This isn't a statement about him or any other LEO but rather to reiterate that we should be prepared to defend ourselves in the field with regards to current law post Oct 1. If/when you run into a situation where a given LEO is ignorant of the law, and wants to press the point, the burden of proof will suddenly lie on you.

To that point, have we (MDS) compiled a concise 1 page doc citing current MD/ATF law and AD interpretation to be carried in the field to help head off trouble in the eventual encounter with a LEO doesn't know the law for whatever reason?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It's worth remembering that a printed copy won't mean much on road side to some extent. We argue here about whether something is a copy of a regulated weapon. how much more confusing is it for a cop that isn't in to guns and likely will receive little training on it. Thankfully (in this case); 281 doesn't change much at road side. It's much more about what we can't buy.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I'll have a copy of all regs, laws and applicable AG opinions in my gun case.

Good stuff, i've not yet compiled this.

On this point, do you happen to have a copy of the AG opinion that was recently mentioned in another thread regarding purchase vs possession of mags?

I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to educate/correct LE on certain things.

Yeah, I've had to do this with auto-regs before....frustrating.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    That's a good idea, OP.

I keep a couple pages printed out on carry/firearms policies for some of the places where I do work, in my pistol box in the truck. I show it to security when they aren't aware/sure of the policy. A couple have asked if they could make copies of it to keep in the Guardhouse.
    :)

Before I had my permit, I kept (probably still in there) a letter from the MD State's Attorney about loaded magazines, in my range bag.

You can never have too much "proof"!
    :)

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I also am not picking on LEO's but for the most part they are not Lawyers and are not up on ANY laws. They have a hard enough time just dealing with the public daily to go and research all the new laws Crapnapolis comes up with. I have several LEO friends and they tell me straight up that they don't know everything. That's why they carry those books in the trunk. Same as us, for reference.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I also am not picking on LEO's but for the most part they are not Lawyers and are not up on ANY laws. They have a hard enough time just dealing with the public daily to go and research all the new laws Crapnapolis comes up with. I have several LEO friends and they tell me straight up that they don't know everything. That's why they carry those books in the trunk. Same as us, for reference.

Yeah, no doubt. Have a bunch of friends/relatives that are LEO so totally get that. And like in any job, you've got some who are more dedicated to it than others.

Is it worth creating a compilation thread where people can share existing Opinions/Regs that they currently reference/carry with them to help compile them for newer guys and keep a reference list of sorts?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A friend and I did a transfer of a stripped lower about a month ago at MSP Frederick. The trooper was honest about the whole process since neither of us had done a transfer at MSP before, and he answered all the question we had about the forms. I had questions about MDC status and how the transfer would be affected due to me leaving MD in October at some point. All around a knowledgeable trooper and a great experience. Although he did spend a lot of time looking at that engage billet lower. I think I saw him drool a little bit when he was looking it over for the serial.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not a slam , but LEOs don't know , or particularily expected to know "Laws" or "Court Cases" . They are responsable for knowing Memoranda , and General Orders. If they need to know somthing , their Chain of Command will issue it at Roll Call.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    It would be nice to have a piece or two or 10 of paper with just the pertinent laws on it to keep in your gun case. Does someone already have something like this that is cut and pasted to take up minimal space? Or did I just volunteer for something?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If we can figure it out, the people who wrote it can't figure it out, the AG, can't figure it out, how the hell is the LEO on the beat supposed to know any of this.....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    +1.
    I've been doing this in one form or another for yrs.I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to educate/correct LE on certain things.It's been said on this forum many times that not all LEO's are gun enthusiasts.

LEO's do NOT know all the laws out there. Trust me on that. I have had LEO's put the incorrect code reference on citations plenty of times. I've had them charge clients with incorrect charge, which makes it easy to get the charge dropped.

In my personal experiences with law enforcement, I have found very few that want to listen to me about what the law is. They usually figure they know better. In those cases, it has been a lot better just dealing with the Judge.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I think this is a great idea, how about a bit of a broader audience with a dedicated thread too (I can write that up real quick).

Who knows we might get some gems in the form of some lesser known state/ATF opinions to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom