• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaszerBranes

May 25, 2013
    As the title says. If I wanted to go to one of Maryland's surrounding states, to buy a long gun (SKS, Shotgun, Bolt Action etc.) will I be allowed by Maryland law and would the other state accept my Drivers License for purchase?

Also as I am new to the buying guns in Maryland, is there a list of NICS only (over the counter) and the ever so long full background check guns?

I used to live in Kentucky so buying guns from there is so much simpler.

I also have just purchased a handgun in Maryland and waited over 90 days for my paperwork. <-- I know this may be irrelevant.

jonnybadua

Mar 5, 2013
    Fort Washington. MD
    I have only purchased in Virginia as far as neighboring states...unregulated firearms (shotgun, heavy barrel, 22lr rifles, etc.)...your drivers license and a couple forms with your name and address as it apears on your DL (car registration, IRS form, county tax bill) some may ask for more than one so I always bring 2 or 3 forms.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    As the title says. If I wanted to go to one of Maryland's surrounding states, to buy a long gun (SKS, Shotgun, Bolt Action etc.) will I be allowed by Maryland law and would the other state accept my Drivers License for purchase?

Also as I am new to the buying guns in Maryland, is there a list of NICS only (over the counter) and the ever so long full background check guns?

I used to live in Kentucky so buying guns from there is so much simpler.

I also have just purchased a handgun in Maryland and waited over 90 days for my paperwork. <-- I know this may be irrelevant.

I bough a shotgun in PA with no issue. You can't buy anything that is regulated meaning no handguns or AR15's and you must buy from or though an FFL. Can't buy off a private citizen.

Thanks
    Robert

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    There are some out of state dealers that may not know the md law and err on the side of caution by not selling things like HBARS and mossberg 500 "persuaders" to Maryland residents cash and carry

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Federal law (which mostly covers out of state purchases) only requires one form of ID/documentation on the 4473 unless you are trying to prove residency.

You may purchase unregulated long guns in any state and possibly the US territories. I'm not 100% sure how the territories work.

hippygeek

Jun 2, 2012
    I've purchased unregulated long guns in Delaware and Pennsylvania. Very straightforward. Saw a shotgun I liked in Florida once and they wouldn't sell it to me curiously enough.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Any State that borders MD You may purchase non regulated Firearms with your MD DL No problems

Doesn't have to border MD to be able to buy it. AS long as it's not regulated and the state you purchase in doesn't have any special restrictions, you're gtg.

Take TN for example. I can walk into Wal-Mart and buy a shotgun no problem.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The bordering state requirement has been gone since at least 1989. That was part of Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68).

BUT, not all FFLs will sell to MD residents. Because of the regulated gun thing, they do not want to bother with being up on MD law, so they just will not sell to any MD resident. And since SB281 passed, even more will not sell to MD resident (even though it doesn't go into affect until Oct 1).

Getting mad at them will not make them sell to you. :)

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Friend of mine hunts in VT and NH and asked if he could buy an AR OTC with an out of state license. Response was "Yes". Each dealer is different, so your results and mileage may vary.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Friend of mine hunts in VT and NH and asked if he could buy an AR OTC with an out of state license. Response was "Yes". Each dealer is different, so your results and mileage may vary.

This is where you have to be careful and know the laws yourself, so they don't come back and haunt you some day in the form of an ATF visit or an arrest.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you did, both you and the FFL could end up in SERIOUS trouble.

UNLESS, it was an HBAR.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS

then yes, if he asked "with a MD license" i suspect the answer would be different.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Question #2

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Question #2

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

So instead of using a Bill of Sale, you modify it to be 100 year rental and walk away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom