• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dahoopd

Mar 15, 2016
    Anyone have an update on the laws regarding these. Of course as most threads on forums they go to the wayside of Eagles fans and other conversations not associated with the subject. Thanks for the help.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ASP Inc , and most of their distributors as a matter of policy, market to the LE/ corrections/ security market. Most of their brick and mortar sellers are LE supply companies, rather than those primarily dealing with the public. This stance is not uncommon, and not unique to ASP Inc. Notwithstanding the mass marketing of some brands of OC lots of the "good stuff" of LE equipment is similar. There are online sources, and some LE supply stores will sometimes sell to "civillians" on case by case.

ASP is both top quality and comparitively expensive. There are more widely available knockoffs, of varying quality, and usually less expensive.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Comes down to the ol' "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" argument, sounds like. Not suggesting breaking the law though.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    ASP Inc , and most of their distributors as a matter of policy, market to the LE/ corrections/ security market. Most of their brick and mortar sellers are LE supply companies, rather than those primarily dealing with the public. This stance is not uncommon, and not unique to ASP Inc. Notwithstanding the mass marketing of some brands of OC lots of the "good stuff" of LE equipment is similar. There are online sources, and some LE supply stores will sometimes sell to "civillians" on case by case.

ASP is both top quality and comparitively expensive. There are more widely available knockoffs, of varying quality, and usually less expensive.
    Having broken 3 ASP ( actual brand name ) batons doing security I have come to the conclusion that an extendable baton is a one time use item. I would rather have a cocobolo straight stick if I was expecting to use it. The only area the extendable batons excel at is that they are small enough to be on your belt with out it being noticed. I will say that at a minimal an extendable baton should be lightly oiled monthly. A light corn oil or your favorite gun lube should be sufficient to keep it opening nicely.

Comes down to the ol' "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" argument, sounds like. Not suggesting breaking the law though.

When it comes to carrying a baton there is no legal restriction between open and concealed carry in the laws. But there is a possession charge if it is on you if you are in the commission of a crime. Depending on how anal the officer is if it is on you during speeding ticket you could face the additional charge for possession of a dangerous weapon in the commission of a crime. The best way to describe it would be that having the baton is not a crime but a multiplier of sorts when it comes to charges being brought. But this should not be a surprise when it comes to the scattershot method of the MD legal system. Keep throwing up charges something until something sticks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The topic started out with collaspable batons on purpose, I didn't adress the relative merits of collaspable vs old school straight stick.

To my person thinking, I see an ASP as a major upgrade to a blackjack, instead of obsessing over the shortcomings vs a good wood or fg straight stick. Make your personal decisions regarding ease of carry ( hopefully implying always at hand ) vs max effectiveness ( that probably isn't at hand unless trouble was telegraphed well in advance).

To roughly translate impact weapons into firearms terms, an ASP would be analog to a 380 or Airweight J Frame. Easy to carry, somewhat decent eeffectiveness, better than the alternatives that really suck. PR-24, full size sticks would be equiv to .40 or .45 , but uncomfortable and always getting in the way.

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    they dont build them like they used to 25 + years old
    2c99634be79165e9e5580cf89a1ecd35.jpg

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    My personal observation sitting in a court room a few times, is that you can carry anything not otherwise prohibited. However, if you use your tool, it must be in self defense. In MD, using pepper spray offensively can get you 3 years. Apparently, the homegirls seem to do this a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    How about using one to bop foxes to dispatch them on the trapline? I walk in a lot and I don't like shooting foxes due to all the blood soiling their delicate fur. It's hard to get blood out of it. Raccoons are no issue, so I get to legally open carry for them.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    IIRC, an expandable baton is not considered a weapon if it is not used in an offensive manner and cannot be carried concealed. After asking several officers from various jurisdictions the answers varied as to if it was legal to carry one. After our "incident" with another dog attacking our dog (and its owner being a total @$$ hole), I do carry one when I walk my dog.

NOTE: I last read up on the expandable baton almost 2 years ago, so my information may be flawed. I am NOT a lawyer.

Perfectly said. If your intention is not to inflict harm then your good. Its all in the articulation.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I use this in my car. Blinding light.

Just a flashlight for late night emergencies.

Attachments

• 41FUep26NtL.jpg
      41FUep26NtL.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 484

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With flashlights there is a point of diminishing returns on reach vs balance/ weight. The longest practical lengths are 5 D cell, and 7 C cell. And at those lengths you need to experement with alkaline and old school "heavy duty" batteries for balance.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I have several, one in my truck, several strategically place around my home...

I also have a 22" fiber-glass Policeman's "Night Stick" in my truck, under my seat...

I keep a pocket knife in my center console of my truck & a sharp "rapid deployment knife" in my front right pocket at all times...

I've never had any trouble in my life, but I'm prepared for any unwanted encounters...

Marines, even old ones, don't make good or easy victims...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom