• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Suggestions for a lefty bolt-action 308 with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine? If it could use AR-10 mags all the better.

I’d love to add an AR-10 to the family, but as a DC resident any semi-auto with a pistol grip is a no go. Originally I was thinking a Savage 10 FLCP-SR, but then my battered gun owners syndrome subsided and I realized that a pistol grip rifle is ok as long as it is bolt-action. That led me to the Mossberg MVP, but not available in a lefty configuration.

I’m well familiar with the advantages of a pistol grip in a semi-auto, but am I really missing much in a bolt-action? Certainly I’d rather have the lefty bolt than a pistol grip. I’d also really like to be able to use AR-10 mags. Suggestions??

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I have a savage model 10 bolt action. It's a nice gun but I don't care for the priority magazines that cost 1/5 of the rifle. I wish it took AR10 or ACIS magazines. You could put a different grip on an AR10 like the ones they use in NY to get around the AR15 pistol grip ban too.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Are you sure you want a LH action? 10x more difficult to get parts later on. I'm LH and all my bolt and semi-auto rifles are RH. I shoot them LH. As long as you mind your left thumb on top of the buttstock, you can work the bolt like a boss with your right hand.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Are you sure you want a LH action? 10x more difficult to get parts later on. I'm LH and all my bolt and semi-auto rifles are RH. I shoot them LH. As long as you mind your left thumb on top of the buttstock, you can work the bolt like a boss with your right hand.

For the most part I’m with you. The rest of my bolts (mainly for deer hunting) are RH, as are all my semi-autos (Ares SCR, etc.). I suppose I’ve never had or tried to get back on target quick with any of my bolts...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Here are the problems I ran into with LH rifles, bolt-action especially. I've been used to RH actions my entire life. About seven years ago, I convinced myself I needed LH rifles. I bought a LH AR-15 first, then went shopping for LH bolt rifles. Not long into my adventure, starting with range time on the LH AR-15, I realized I'm not used to where everything got moved to. While you might think you'll get used to it, it just never felt right to me and still doesn't. It was really awkward with a LH bolt. Felt like to trying to learn to drive a RH-drive car with a manual transmission shifter on the left and a clutch under my right foot, on American roads. A subsequent eye-opener was me wanting a spare BCG for the LH AR and having to wait months to get it after ordering. I eventually gave up on it all. Just not worth the hassle to me. Plus, resale value for LH rifles tends to be bad. I didn't want to continue throwing thousands of dollars down the drain.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Here are the problems I ran into with LH rifles, bolt-action especially. I've been used to RH actions my entire life. About seven years ago, I convinced myself I needed LH rifles. I bought a LH AR-15 first, then went shopping for LH bolt rifles. Not long into my adventure, starting with range time on the LH AR-15, I realized I'm not used to where everything got moved to. While you might think you'll get used to it, it just never felt right to me and still doesn't. It was really awkward with a LH bolt. Felt like to trying to learn to drive a RH-drive car with a manual transmission shifter on the left and a clutch under my right foot, on American roads. A subsequent eye-opener was me wanting a spare BCG for the LH AR and having to wait months to get it after ordering. I eventually gave up on it all. Just not worth the hassle to me. Plus, resale value for LH rifles tends to be bad. I didn't want to continue throwing thousands of dollars down the drain.

Sounds like me prior to a LH bolt adventure.... Looks like a Mossberg MVP is in my future.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Couldn't you add a featureless rifle grip to an AR10? Someone on this forum also recently listed a troy pump action AR10 for sale.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    Sounds like me prior to a LH bolt adventure.... Looks like a Mossberg MVP is in my future.

I have one available. Savage 10 FLCP in a MDT TAC 21 Chassis.

Attachments

• 20170108_071525.jpg
      20170108_071525.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 82

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    lefty tikka t3, lefty rem 700, in some sort of chassis system, such as MPA. actually tikka has their own chassis option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom