• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Uh-oh... after cleaning my two rifles, there is a leftover spring:

The two candidates are a Windham WW-15 5.56 and a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22LR. Neither seems to be missing anything, so I guess option "c" is "none of the above". Any suggestions? :confused:

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    AR15 buffer retainer spring?

That was my first thought, after looking at diagrams of both rifles. The buffer retainer acts like it has a proper spring under it, so I didn't try to take it out for fear of losing it.

It's also not the front sight post detent spring.

And the safety seems to be working, so I don't think it's the safety detent spring. (But if there's a better test than "does the safety work?", I'll check it.)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    disconnect spring - one end doesn't appear to be larger in diameter than the other. Don't think it's that.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Might be your disconnector or your bolt catch spring.

I can kinda see the disconnector spring between the disconnector and the trigger. I think. I definitely didn't do any disassembly there, but I looked just now to be sure.

The bolt catch seems to be behaving nicely. I didn't try to remove it, again for fear of actually losing something.

I'm kinda thinking it's either from the Plinkster (although I can't figure out from where, since none of the Plinkster springs I can see in the diagram are that size) or it somehow appeared in the wrong place at the wrong time from something other than a gun.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    So, between the YouTube video and the pic on eBay, I was convinced that Boom Boom had nailed it. So, despite the late hour, I went downstairs to check out the hammer spring on the Plinkster. It was right where it's supposed to be.

Then a pair of needlenose pliers I had out caught my eye. Somehow, in my late-night, brain-fuzzed, semi-delusional state, I managed to notice that the pliers didn't have a spring holding them open. And like Cinderella's slipper, the leftover spring was a perfect fit.

So, the correct answer was "c", none of the above. Remember, "c" is the most common correct answer.

Honorable mention goes to Boom Boom, who inspired the trip downstairs that led to the win. Next meetup, the first round is on me, Boom Boom! :party29:

And thanks to all who helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom