• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Lee 1000 vs 4000. Seems these are very similar presses (same price too) except the 4000 has 4 stations (instead of 3) and seems like it is not restricted in primer brand like the 1000. Anyone have experience with both?

Major difference for me is the 1000 has a kit that includes a 45 Colt die set and the 4000 does not (have to buy separate). I know buy a better press (buy once cry once) but I truly want just a starter progressive press to see if I will stay with reloading.

1000 - https://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/progressive-presses/pro-1000/
    4000 - https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro-pro-4000-kit/

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Can't speak for the pro 1000, but i own the lee ABLP. It's fine for pistol/intermediate rifle progressive loading. Priming system on the ABLP is a manual, up-stroke priming arm system, which isn't bad, but not great either. I wind up sizing/decapping on the progressive, priming off the progressive (either hand prime or use a dedicated bench priming system), then progressive loading with primed cases. I'd go for the ABLP since that has 4 stations instead of 3 on the lee pro 1000 unless you already have a bunch of lee 3 hole turrets.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Can't speak for the pro 1000, but i own the lee ABLP. It's fine for pistol/intermediate rifle progressive loading. Priming system on the ABLP is a manual, up-stroke priming arm system, which isn't bad, but not great either. I wind up sizing/decapping on the progressive, priming off the progressive (either hand prime or use a dedicated bench priming system), then progressive loading with primed cases. I'd go for the ABLP since that has 4 stations instead of 3 on the lee pro 1000 unless you already have a bunch of lee 3 hole turrets.

Thanks I dropped the hammer on the 4000. Can you tell me if this uses specialized dies? I am only finding the Lee breech lock dies at Lee's website. Can I use any dies and just take the breech colored collars off the ones that come with the 4000 kit?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    It uses breech lock collars/inserts. You can just buy those breech lock collars/inserts. They thread on conventional dies and quickly connect along the ablp. I get myns from midway.

You'll like the Lee 4000. They are great until it comes time to change calibers- it takes a good hour or so to swap everything and fine tune the dies.
    If you're only planning on doing .45LC on it, you're gonna be happy.
    Caveat- I do not like the priming system on Lee progressives.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You'll like the Lee 4000. They are great until it comes time to change calibers- it takes a good hour or so to swap everything and fine tune the dies.
    If you're only planning on doing .45LC on it, you're gonna be happy.
    Caveat- I do not like the priming system on Lee progressives.
    Not going to lie, that is why I love the Lee classic. Its slower than a true progressive. But with the turrets it is very easy to caliber swap. I am usually loading smaller batches anyway. So if I load 50-100 rounds, the fact I can caliber swap in about 10 seconds, slap on the pre-set auto drum insert and maybe a couple small tweaks to check how the powder is dropping and in maybe 2-5 minutes I am loading a new caliber (depending on how much tweaking anything needs, but it is rare it needs much).

About the only time I wish I had a true progressive is when I want to sit down and load 300 or 400 9mm. Which is rare. So I am all good with it :-)

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    One Reviewer said. 5.0 out of 5 stars As a beginner to Reloading here's my review of the press, and list of other things you'll need
    Reviewed in Canada on January 5, 2018
    Verified Purchase
    I bought this press as a complete beginner to reloading. I bought my first 9mm handgun, and figured I'd shoot around 5000 rounds of 9mm per year with it. After doing the math I found that if save $100 for every 1000 rounds of 9mm I make instead of buy at a store. This made it look like a pretty quick breakeven for the press, which I paid $450 with free shipping for from a third party seller here on Amazon.

Hornady says all you need to start reloading is a shellplate for the caliber you want to reload, and dies. While in theory that's true, you really need a larger list of things which I'll outline below, and explain why you need them, or why they'll benefit you.

Obviously you'll need the press, caliber specific dies and a shellplate. You'll also need:

1. Bullet puller. This is an important one. When starting out you'll make mistakes. Not only that, but when you're adjusting your seating/crimp die you'll have to pull the bullet off the shell a few times until you get the right COL. (Cartridge overall length). Hornady makes a great bullet puller. You put it in the press, lower the handle pushing he bullet into the bullet puller, lower the bullet puller handle, lower the press handle, and the bullet is off. Takes 5 seconds. You'll need a bullet puller collet for your caliber too. The whole thing will cost around $40.

2. Digital caliper. Also a critical component. You can't reload without it. This will measure bullets to make sure they're not too long, or too short.

3. Reloading manual. Gives you reloading tips, shows you the max length your bullet can be, and shows you a variety of powders and the recommended grains to use with a variety of bullets.

4. Extra lock n load bushings. If you're going to load different calibers you'll want these. That way you don't have to undo the bushings from your other caliber dies. I bought the 10 pack.

5. Electronic scale. I bought the Hornady scale. This is essential for setting up your Hornady powder measure that comes with the press. The powder measure takes tweaking to get dieled in, and you'll need to check how much powder it's dropping. Also, every time you reload you should measure the first 5 powder drops to make sure they're consistent.

6. Brass tumbler or cleaner. I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler off of Amazon, and it's great . If you're planning to save your brass You'll need this. Its cheap, and works very well! To do with it you'll want a media separator.

7. Powder graphite. Canadian tire sells it cheap. Use this to lube the press after you clean it. It doesn't gum up, and always stays lubricated. Amazing stuff! Hornady staff will tell you to use it as well.

8. Bullet feeder die. For $30 you can get a pistol bullet feeder die that automatically drops the bullet onto the case instead of you having to do it. This makes it so much easier.

9. Hornday powder cop. Basically measures the powder in each case and gives you a visual check. I can see a difference in .1 grains of powder. IMO this is a must have.

Overall I love the press! It takes some tinkering to make everything operate smooth, but the price is great (at $450), and it'll save you a lot of money. The build quality seems awesome, the lock and load bushing system is the best in the industry, and Hornadys customer service is second to none. If you're deciding between this and a Dillon, get the Hornady!

I also bought the case feeder for mine, now all I do is pull a handle and it makes bullets!

See all reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom