• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 21234rick

Aug 16, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    "learn to shoot" What to expect? **UPDATE**

Hi guys,

I am registered for a "Learn to shoot" class at PG Skeet & Trap on Saturday.

I was wonder what I should expect from this class?

Will I learn enough to be able to rent a gun and shoot at a local range on my own?

Will I learn how to tel if a gun fits?

Anyone here have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks.

***UPDATE***

Just thought I woul dpost about my experience.

I thought this class was great! I had never shot a gun before in my life and by the end of class I felt very comfortable. I got to shot several different types and guages of guns and learned all the proper safty precautions.

Anyone new to shooting should take this class.

Last edited:

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    A good instructor will FIRST cover gun safety: the importance of eye and ear protection, followed by proper and safe gun handling. The thing to remember here is attention to detail. One split second of cavalier daydreaming can get a person hurt. Next comes gun familiarity/features, along with properly sizing the gun to you. This area is a very personal thing--sort of like a shirt. Some folks like their shirts snug, and some like them looser-fitting. Same thing for guns. What you are comfortable with (within reason) is paramount. Then comes dry-fire (unloaded) practice to demonstrate that you understand and can follow safe shooting principles, followed by actual live fire. It is a lot of fun, but always remember that your own safety and the safety of those around you depends on how safe you are. Even when you KNOW a gun is unloaded, treat it like it's loaded and ready to fire.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I took that class (from Rhys Arthur, I think?) and It is geared towards getting acquainted with the different "shooting sports" - trap, skeet and sporting clays. He goes over gun safety (of course!) and then talks about the different types ie over/unders vs semi, in the clubhouse. A majority of time is then taking turns actually shooting on the ranges there, and discussing/shooting the 3 disciplines. Overall, it was a great introduction, and you'll definitely be able to go from there to renting/shooting a shotgun for the games. He was a great instructor and answered everyone's questions - so if there is something you have a specific interest (like how to fit/"lop" for a shotgun) go ahead and ask!
    Oh and he also offers sport specific intros - so if you wanted to learn more about trap, there is a basic course for that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom