• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireWhenReady

Aug 30, 2010
    Cleaning off invisible lead dust

Well, in my opinion, the Hygenall FieldWipes are better than anything else out there because they dont require rinsing, and they actually remove lead (they are recomended by the CDC for firing ranges). We tried to buy them directly from the company, but they referred us to A quick search on the internet, and we found lots of places that sell them for various prices, so check around. They dont contain EDTA either which i believe is bad for you, and they didnt leave behind the gooey sticky feeling and dont require that you wash off with soap and water afterwards like thy Medtoxic wipes do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Lead has been associated with increased violence and aggression in people exposed to it as children. There is a theory with some decent evidence behind it that much of the violence of the late 70's and early 80's in NYC and other cities' public housing projects may have been partially caused by lead-based paint and water pipes used in HUD projects nationwide in the 1960-70s.

A lot of the violence abated once the lead was removed from public housing and the children moved out. New kids didn't share the issues. Studies have demonstrated that lead in kids causes aggression, shortens tempers and attention spans.

DC's aggression "hot spots" are still served with lead pipes for drinking water. The Post is covering the lead story but not making the violence claim.

Norton said:
    I used some of these that a fella brought to my class last week and they seem like a good field expedient clean up for hands while at the range.

You teach in PG public schools, right? How very open minded of them. ;)

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    We have these in our clean up area at our Academy. They create a little bit of suds as you wipe with them. Good idea. I also use their DLead liquid soap at work, but you need water for that.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    They dont contain EDTA either which i believe is bad for you,

That's interesting because EDTA is sold by supplement providers to be taken orally as a chelating compound and has been used like that for lead poisoning.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    20 or so years ago I was casting thousands of 45 bullets from recovered backstop bullets. First casting into ingots and later into buckets of bullets, later lubing and sizing, all bare handed and leaning over the fumes. No one seemed concerned. At the same time frame I worked micro-miniature component repair, namely, soldering electronic circuits all day. The Navy had all of us take a base-line blood lead content to track our build up of lead. No follow up was ever done. I feel phine nodyayz and hav no noticable dame brammage. Hell, we used to play with liquid mercury out of thermometers rolling it around in our palms too, not to mention trying to burn all the asbeotes we could find. Noen of this affected my spell checker at oll. :sad20:

FireWhenReady

Aug 30, 2010

Attachments

• FieldWipes Advertisement.jpg
      FieldWipes Advertisement.jpg
      108.5 KB · Views: 240

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Wet Ones have the same active ingredient. I use them all the time, they work great, and at a fraction of the cost of the others.

I don't see anything under the link you quoted that says the application is removing lead or other heavy metals.

The applications are extremely wide ranging, from disinfectant formulations to microbial corrosion inhibition in the oilfield sector and a multi-surface mould, algae and moss remover[3]. It is used in:

* Pharmaceuticals such as leave-on skin antiseptics
    * Hygienic towelettes and wet wipes
    * Cosmetics such as eye and nasal drops, as a preservative
    * Cleaners for floor and hard surfaces as a disinfectant
    * High-level surgical instrument sterilizing and disinfection solutions
    * Air and surface sprayable disinfectants
    * Over-the-counter herpes cold sore and fever blister single-application treatments such as Viroxyn

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Why do you need something that removes dirty bomb residue,depleted uranium, and cadmium? If you do lets get together, I have some friends that would like to meet you that work for the federal government.

I use those single wrapped baby wipes at the range. They work great taking all the junk off your hands when shooting black powder. Soap, water, and friction will remove any dirt that you could get on your hands at the range.

Cheap Bottled water and JoJo is all we use at the race track to clean up after wrenching on the race car.

Damifinow fish

J13

Nov 24, 2010
    Active ingredients in LeadTech and Hygenall

The Benzylkonium Chloride (sp?) is just a germicide added to the wipes. The active ingredients are a specific combination of citric acid and ISML concentrations. Both wipes are licensed under the same agreement from the CDC/NIOSH so are very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Damn, I was doing some soldering yesterday and it didn't even occur to me to use these. Duh.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Damn, I was doing some soldering yesterday and it didn't even occur to me to use these. Duh.

What type of solder? Any chance it is lead free? I know I have about 1/2lb of lead solder still in my bag from the '90s. I wonder if Kester would do a trade?

I do not even want to think of the old days.

does anyone know if the AGTS Solutions wipes are available from any regular gun supply shops?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What type of solder? Any chance it is lead free?

Hell, no!

Lead free solder is another treehugger solution that creates problems.

In addition to the high melting point, lead free solder is now causing problems in PC boards on which it was used. Tin (and other) whiskers grow and cause shorts.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Great topic. Does anyone here get a lead test when at the Dr's? I've been meaning to ask each time I go. I need to get serious about it.

MH

Feb 22, 2013
    Great topic. Does anyone here get a lead test when at the Dr's? I've been meaning to ask each time I go. I need to get serious about it.

MH
    Because I have to work at shooting ranges as part of my job, I have to be tested yearly for lead blood levels. But there is more to it than just a simple blood test. Many Occupational Health Facilities can administer a simple lead level test, But if you are serious about it and are around lead often then you need to talk to your Doctor about doing a Lead and Heavy Metals Panel. This not only checks for the lead level it also cross checks kidney and liver chemicals to rule out long term or critical over-exposures to lead and other associated heavy metals that indicate your critical organs and their functions may already be compromised. There is much information available through the OSHA sites online about lead levels and exposure. Rule of thumb for normal adult (males and non-pregnant females is that the blood lead level should be less than 20 units. If you work in a lead related field or industry, then it should be maintained at less than 40 units. Anything above those numbers and you start to risk debilitating affects over long term. Children, pets and pregnant women should avoid lead exposure at all times. Children and animals cannot deplete lead in the blood as efficiently as an adult human and pregnant woman or those who may become pregnant soon after exposure risk passing that lead onto the unborn child. For those who shoot or reload often, they should be very careful who in their lives that they interact with on a frequent basis may be more vulnerable than them and take steps to protect them. Things like cleaning up after shooting or loading. Changing shoes so you don't track lead into areas where pets and frequent floor-crawlers can be exposed. And that is just the basic things I have to go through once a year during my required Lead Hazard and Safety training. Like I said before, there is much more information out there just a google or two away.

aemik

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore
    Most cleaning products (wipes, soap, you name it) will remove most contamination from your hands and gear, but the ones designed for lead will have something to actually chelate or complex with the lead (or other heavy metals) to render it effectively inert. It's still there but it's no longer free to interact with stuff in your body, so it just winds up going out with the tide so to speak. 'Benzalkonium' detergents have a lot of different formulations, I don't know the chemistry on them offhand but I would wager that some of them are capable of doing a bit of complexing with metals. They are typically added to most products in order to kill bacteria and inactivate viruses, though, not specifically for their metal binding properties.

The two best things out there for that are EDTA and phosphates, both of which are regulated these days as they screw up wastewater handling. I would personally use EDTA wipes if I could get ahold of them. Citrate salts seem to be the go-to these days for lead wipes, which is valid (they do bind metals) but they are nowhere near as aggressive as EDTA.

I personally swear by TSP (trisodium phosphate) - it's found in a lot of 'lead specific' products and it's a great cleaning agent. I have a three year old, so I use a tablespoon of TSP with the normal detergent in the washer when I clean my shooting clothes. Gets them nice and clean and I know that there's no lead residue left in them. Our house was built in the 20s so I also use a dilute TSP solution to mop now and then. Our kiddo has never shown detectable lead in his blood and we have them tack that test on whenever they're doing regular bloodwork. It's a sample size of one, admittedly, but the science behind it is sound.

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    This seems to be the active ingredient http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride

I'd just look for something cheaper that has this in it.

Benzalkonium chloride is the main ingredient in baby wipes, handi wipes, wet naps, etc any of these wipes made to clean up and toss away, has BZK in it. you an also buy bulk backs of the BZK wipes in the first aid section of any pharmacy! Hope this was some help

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom