• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fulci Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    Hey, I had to quit my job at a local range a few months ago due to high lead levels. I had to take a blood test before I worked there. It was a 2. I worked at this place for a good three months, taking all precautions (wearing my suit and mask when I was cleaning down range, etc.) and after just three months of working there, my levels jumped to 19. For my age, lead levels of 20 needs treatment. I will be going back to my doctor soon for another blood test to see where my counts are at.

My question is: How many people here keep track of their lead count? I have talked to a lot of shooters and they don't even know about the risks of high lead levels from shooting.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I never even thought of it before. I hope you are okay. Can you point us to a good website so we can find out more about the risk? I imagine a lot of shooters and reloaders might want to look into this.

I hope you get back to normal soon. It was kind of you to pass the word.

Fulci Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    Thank you. Yeah, the doctor said you can flush lead out of you system with vitamin C. The owner of this store straight up lied to me. He said you can only get high lead levels from ingestion. That is a bunch of crap. You get lead in your system every time you shoot. Lead dust goes everywhere when you shoot a gun. That lead dust can go through your skin or through your eyes, etc.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97lead.html

Last edited:

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i read about this somewhere else but the worst lead area is actually downrange; not where the shooters are. i read that as long as you are doing less then 500 rounds a month in a well ventilated range, then you should be fine

Fulci Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    i read about this somewhere else but the worst lead area is actually downrange; not where the shooters are. i read that as long as you are doing less then 500 rounds a month in a well ventilated range, then you should be fine

Should be, huh? Well, I was range officer alot. That is how I think I got it. Besides, we had protection whenever we went down range. I never slipped up once on safety. Gun ranges don't want you to know about this danger so they will say whatever they can to get you to keep coming and spending money.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    Should be, huh? Well, I was range officer alot. That is how I think I got it. Besides, we had protection whenever we went down range. I never slipped up once on safety. Gun ranges don't want you to know about this danger so they will say whatever they can to get you to keep coming and spending money.

thats what i was implying; you were more susceptible then the average shooter. not to say its not dangerous to just shoot. what i am supprised at, is that even with the safety precautions you took it still found its way inside you.

Fulci Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    yeah, man. In a three month period too. I never was a big shooter until I worked there. I think if the frequent shooters went to get their lead levels tested, they would be very surprised.

Hell, I didn't even really shoot while I was there anyway.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Sounds like their air handling system is in serious need of repair or cleaning! Makes me think that in the winter months they may have turned it off to save on the heating bill, or simply that it is broken.

If is not at all normal if your lead testing was done right.

Buck

Huge deal. I'm pyscho about this sort of thing. After the range it is wipe, change clothes, slower, etc before picking up my boas.

Fulci Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    Thinking about leaving too man.

Lol...how'd you put in your two week notice?

I didn't. I quit right after the doctor told me my count. Who is this? What letter does your name start with? I wrote my letter of resignation and just gave it to Rick. You get tested yet?

gmanflyarmy

Oct 14, 2010
    I didn't. I quit right after the doctor told me my count. Who is this? What letter does your name start with? I wrote my letter of resignation and just gave it to Rick. You get tested yet?

It's Hooper :lol:
    4906-9838.gif

sike nah....it's MJG. This probably freaked you the hell out. Was just looking over some posts. Can't believe I came across this the same day.

Lead is a concern. On my way out. Just need two more paychecks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom