• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Without sharing his general enthusiasm for them , I would take Smokey's one concept a step farther.

Align a laser parallel to the bore on purpose. Ie if the laser has a 1in offset as mounted on the gun, have a 1in offset in the impact, so that you have consistant impact at any vaguely practical distance you'd use it.

By the distance that bullet drop bcomes significant factor, that's farther than you'd use the laser.

I have a laser on my parents' Hi-Point 9mm carbine for that exact purpose. They aren't marksmen or highly polished like many of us here, so this is a great way to help them get on target quickly. At HD distances, bullet drop is non-existent and the rail is on the barrel itself. Makes it literally a "point and click" interface.

I do however think that practice and weapon familiarity beats a laser. I practice with all guns that would likely be used in a SD scenario and a laser doesn't do much for me. At the distances it might be handy, the shots are easy. At any distances beyond that, it's probably too faint to be seen.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I have a Pistol with a Light and one with a LASER. The Laser to me is just another Tool to assist you in a Stressed situation...in daylight your position is obvious. Night Time Not so...but remember at night your in a sleep mode to a Stressed situation when it could occur...generally your Body and Mind needs to assimilate and coming out of sleep your adjustment may take longer. Plus Humans have very poor Night vision...JMO

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know it generalized to the general public. But for 22yrs I've slept in the day, and been up at night.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I got a cheap lazer and it cuts out when I try to use it in the daytime. It's probably poorly made and I may have to return it.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation...

It cuts "Out"? or you can't see it?

A Laser is within "Sun Light" Spectrum. That's why a RED washes out in Daylight and Green is Better for Daylight. Different Wavelengths.

Also the "Wattage" is not very strong BUT IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYEBALL...

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I personally both like and dislike lasers. For range shooting, I find them annoying and distracting. For dry firing practice, I find them very useful. On a home defense gun, I actually love them for a couple of reasons. First, seeing a laser dot appear on one's chest is frightening for most people and could cause an intruder to flee rather than be shot. Two, if you use the laser effectively you can temporarily blind an intruder by shining it in their eyes.

Also, the lasers I like the best are the guide rod lasers (I had one of these on a Beretta Vertec) and the Crimson Trace grip lasers that turn on when you grip the gun. However, I also want an on/off switch on the grip lasers and not all CT lasers have them (my Kimber Solo CT has one, but my P238 CT does not).

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation...

It cuts "Out"? or you can't see it?

A Laser is within "Sun Light" Spectrum. That's why a RED washes out in Daylight and Green is Better for Daylight. Different Wavelengths.

Also the "Wattage" is not very strong BUT IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYEBALL...

Never use laser sights while viewing through magnified optics(scopes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom