• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Someone who eats at McDonalds and is obese can then sue for their medical bills? My boat sank so I'll sue the manufacturer for the value of all the firearms I lost!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Some of you folks are ignoring the rationale behind their line of thinking.

To them, guns have no positive social redeeming value. They are only used to inflict death. They've listened, learned, and been programmed by the constant media and political talking heads that guns are bad. Period.

All the other things that people have listed above, from cars to food to restaurants to forks and spoons, all have positive-useful, non-lethal uses, and were not actually designed and built to inflict death. This distinction has been made over many threads and many months on MDS.

We know that guns have non-lethal purposes and uses, and even having one for defense often means that one doesn't have to use it. We also understand sporting and hunting uses. Many of the libs don't, or don't want to. Period.

Edited to add: For those who live in urban areas, e.g. MoCo, you personally know people like this. They are the type of people who, if you asked them where food comes from, would look at you like you're an idiot and respond, "the grocery store."

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Someone who eats at McDonalds and is obese can then sue for their medical bills? My boat sank so I'll sue the manufacturer for the value of all the firearms I lost!

A person (people) who smoked their entire life and ended up with cancer has so why not?

You can lose just about any case with the wrong jury and poor representation.

Some companies are trying to head off future lawsuits. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...foods-high-sugar-salt-eaten-occasionally.html

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    A person (people) who smoked their entire life and ended up with cancer has so why not? You can lose just about any case with the wrong jury and poor representation. Some companies are trying to head off future lawsuits. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3540217/When-sa-Dolmio-day-Just-week-Labels-advise-foods-high-sugar-salt-eaten-occasionally.html

But it was proven tobacco companies were selling a product that was proven physically addictive and making it more so, then covering it up. Of course, I think bushmaster is toast because rule of law doesn't matter anymore.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Next time I hit my thumb with a hammer, I've got a great lawsuit. A hammer is inherently dangerous by it's nature. I don't care if the hammer was used by an idiot (me), the fact is that the hammer's design is flawed and I should be reimbursed for my action while using a tool that is dangerous by design.

Ewing, I'm coming for ya...

Feb 28, 2013

I wanna be a millionaire too, so I might just go buy a cup of coffee from 'em and pour it in my lap. :rolleyes:

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    I read on CNN that the Remington/Bushmaster lawyers had filed a new motion to strike at the end of the week. But I cannot find a link to it anywhere on the internet news sites. Anyone have a link?

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    What if a different company built the upper than built the lower. Which company gets sued? Or what if it was a home build and multiple companies were used in the build, who gets sued? Can you sue the company that made the firing pin? What about the buffer spring? Or is just the serial numbered lower company on the hook? What if it was an 80 % lower?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I saw that and I think it's more the imagination of the plaintiffs than any real truth - if the lawyer bills are killing Remington, that's not necessarily the same as them trying to dodge the suit altogether. They plaintiffs are trying to get themselves listed as unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy, but Remington doesn't actually owe them money yet (ever?), so I don't see how that's going to happen.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    So the families won this suit, to the tune of 73 million. This sets a precedent of blaming the gun, not the shooter and has the potential to put current producers out of business and convince others not to enter the business.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    also every auto maker and pretty much any manufacturer if you can make a product that is not defective and be sued successfully for it's misuse. DUI, Hit & Run...I am suing Ford, they have deeper pockets.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So the families won this suit, to the tune of 73 million. This sets a precedent of blaming the gun, not the shooter and has the potential to put current producers out of business and convince others not to enter the business.

The families won nothing. Remington caved.

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    The families won nothing. Remington caved.

To clarify, the insurance companies and lawyers that owned the entity once known as Remington that was initially dragged into the case settled. The big green cited in this situation is not the one that's still operating today. Much like Remington Ammunition and Remingtion's firearms divisions are no longer connected in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom