• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    What you are referring is generally called a baffle. Very little to no actual noise reduction. What you hopefully do is redirect sound.

Also, if the law does allow for more aggressive noise reduction if not attached to the firearm, then you don't need to limit yourself to typical baffle construction approaches.

NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    Don't know about your area when I lived in HarCo I called the Local LEO, they were happy to tell me the ordinance for were I was. Turned out all I had to do was walk into my backyard and shoot.

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Sykesville, I seem to recall that Howard County either attempted to change or in fact changed requirements about a year ago after a day care center was hit by a round from a hunter. I may be mistaken...

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Sykesville, I seem to recall that Howard County either attempted to change or in fact changed requirements about a year ago after a day care center was hit by a round from a hunter. I may be mistaken...

I remember that. I believe they ultimately decided to increase the fines for being an idiot. Not sure if it made a difference to any laws on firing firearms on one's own property, but you never know in this county. thanks.
    ________
    yamaha information

Last edited:

rac74

Si vis pacem,para bellum
    May 27, 2009
    Occupied Carroll County
    "For example: If I've got a range on my property that meets all legal requirements"

What constitutes a "legal range" on private property? We shoot on ~ 275 acres in Carroll County and (knock on wood) have not had any issues to date........

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I was wondering if it were legal to target shoot guns on Carroll County Private Residential property? Does anyone know any laws or regulations regarding this?

Thanks.

Is it your property?

If not, do you have the permission of the landowner?

surplusfan

Feb 2, 2009
    PA
    Those boxes you shoot through at hap were there to catch errant shell casings, I thought. Not as some sort of sound reduction tool. I could stand to be corrected however.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    So, what are the regulations concerning shooting a shotgun/rifle/handgun on private property (farm) in Howard County Maryland ? It does not seem that anyone here actually answered this question ?

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Hi rabbit I am on very large farm in Ho Co. ( 850 acres) and do a lot of long range shooting here. I never really worried about it to much until they started build all theses McMansions along the perimeter of the property. So I had a Howard co. Cop friend of mine check into this very subject. He said that as long as you have at least 10 acres and your rounds stay on your property and obey the noise ordinances you can shoot what ever you want. Hope this helps and be safe..

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Hi rabbit I am on very large farm in Ho Co. ( 850 acres) and do a lot of long range shooting here. I never really worried about it to much until they started build all theses McMansions along the perimeter of the property. So I had a Howard co. Cop friend of mine check into this very subject. He said that as long as you have at least 10 acres and your rounds stay on your property and obey the noise ordinances you can shoot what ever you want. Hope this helps and be safe..

Yep. A friend and I went shooting at a another friend's 80 acre farm near Fredneck Saturday before last. We set up targets in front of a small hit. Shot everything from 22lr to 7.7 Jap, loads of 5.56 and 7.62x39. About 2/3 of the way through we heard another person or group shooting nearby. No issues.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So, what are the regulations concerning shooting a shotgun/rifle/handgun on private property (farm) in Howard County Maryland ? It does not seem that anyone here actually answered this question ?

http://cc.howardcountymd.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294968594

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a gun from, onto, across or within one hundred (100) yards of the right-of-way of any public highway in the county and shall be unlawful at any time for any person other than the owner and/or occupant to shoot or discharge any gun within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any dwelling, house, residence or other building or camp designed for occupancy by human beings, the area within that distance being hereby defined as a safety zone, or to shoot on, from, onto or
    across any safety zone or any public or private land for any purpose, without the express prior written consent of the owner thereof

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom