• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    ICE carry 229's in 40, they were carrying 226's in 357 SIG but switched about a year ago.

Some of the FPS/ICE officers I work with were complaining that they had LOTS of ND's with the 226's. I'm not really sure why. One guy mentioned something about the decocking lever, perhaps just improper training on the difference between SA and DA, maybe a bad run of guns. They all seem to be happy with the 229's.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Some of the FPS/ICE officers I work with were complaining that they had LOTS of ND's with the 226's. I'm not really sure why. One guy mentioned something about the decocking lever, perhaps just improper training on the difference between SA and DA, maybe a bad run of guns. They all seem to be happy with the 229's.

Yea, that sounds like an training/operator problem.

The 226 and 229 are identical triggers and decockers in the DA/SA models, and the DAK triggers in both are identical.

They may have went to the DAK from the DA/SA's which may have prevented some ND's when the 226's were in SA mode after firing. Trainig is all they needed, not new guns. Its second nature for me to decock my SIG's after firing.

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    Yea, that sounds like an training/operator problem.

The 226 and 229 are identical triggers and decockers in the DA/SA models, and the DAK triggers in both are identical.

They may have went to the DAK from the DA/SA's which may have prevented some ND's when the 226's were in SA mode after firing. Trainig is all they needed, not new guns. Its second nature for me to decock my SIG's after firing.

I think you're right, I think they use DAK guns now. I always decock my SA/DA P220 too, but then again I'm not a cop...

:innocent0

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    That's .357 SIG, not ordinary .357

Lol I know. I didn't think I had to specify SIG, as I can't really picture USSS carrying revolvers.

And I wouldn't necessarily believe the hype about a cartridge just because someone in the law enforcement community adopted it...but the USSS? My understanding is that they are a rather elite unit. They must be liking SOMETHING about the cartridge. I don't think the force tasked with guarding the president and so many other important people would be constrained by the same budgetary and political influences that may influence a reglar departmants choice of sidearm.

I could be wrong though. Just pondering.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    NCIS now carries the P229 DAK in .40. Actually we bought them off the ICE contract.

We were carrying the P228/P229s (M11) in 9mm. With a few P232s thrown in for good measure.

I can tell you that is was a very big deal for us to buy a firearm in .40. All of our ammo is supplied through the Navy's Ordnance Supply channels and anything other than 9mm is hard to get.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    My buddy is a MoCo police officer, he carries a Glock 22 sidearm and a Colt M4 service rifle. Oh and lets not forget his taser he carries, then uses as a "distraction" when we are playing Madden on his PS3....

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    NCIS now carries the P229 DAK in .40. Actually we bought them off the ICE contract.

We were carrying the P228/P229s (M11) in 9mm. With a few P232s thrown in for good measure.

I can tell you that is was a very big deal for us to buy a firearm in .40. All of our ammo is supplied through the Navy's Ordnance Supply channels and anything other than 9mm is hard to get.

I bet that pissed Gibbs off:D

Seriously, doesn't that make it tough for your agents OCONUS or do they still follow the fleet and carry a 9mm?

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I bet that pissed Gibbs off:D

Seriously, doesn't that make it tough for your agents OCONUS or do they still follow the fleet and carry a 9mm?

Actually it made it a little easier for the OCONUS guys. In the past, a lot of countries, Italy for example, bans the use of a "Military" caliber by anyone but the actual military. So the guys in the Italy office's had to carry P228/229's in 9X21mm.

Now everyone should be on the same sheet of music.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

I know the USCG switched to them for all personnel a couple of years ago. My friends who are still in were very pleased with them.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Another note about the Baltimore City police, the duty weapons are Glock 22's but they recently required backup / off duty weapon be a Glock 27.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Balto Co SIg Pro, saw one yesterday, guy was a dick

YAY! My world is complete now that this thread has also gone down "that road". :sad20:

Any thread here that has the words "Law Enforcement" or "LEO" or "Police" or "Cop" draws haters like flies. It doesnt matter whether the comment is relative to the topic.

The thread could be about police vehicles, police pay, the band "The Police" - there always seems to be someone who wants to tell their bad cop story or add some other stupid comment. :tdown:

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    YAY! My world is complete now that this thread has also gone down "that road". :sad20:

Any thread here that has the words "Law Enforcement" or "LEO" or "Police" or "Cop" draws haters like flies. It doesnt matter whether the comment is relative to the topic.

The thread could be about police vehicles, police pay, the band "The Police" - there always seems to be someone who wants to tell their bad cop story or add some other stupid comment. :tdown:

Back off, I didnt say they all were dicks, this guy was, if you would have talked to him you would say the same thing.
    So dont go jumping to conclusions because of a comment about 1 LEO.
    You dont know me from Adam, but if you feel so inclined to feel so insulted because a "brother" in blue had something said negative about him, then do so, I cant stop you. I am pro LEO and never said anything bad about LEOs on this forum or anywhere else.
    You ask a guy a question and he acts holier then holy, then he is a dick. Period, dont care if he is LEO or not. Just like the MPD officer who told me the other day when I told him of a situation two blocks down, "What do you want me to do about it". I called him a ass to his face.
    Police Pay scale sucks, they are underpaid for a thankless job.

So if it makes you feel better, I will delete my opinion of this 1 LEO

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Back off, I didnt say they all were dicks, this guy was, if you would have talked to him you would say the same thing.
    So dont go jumping to conclusions because of a comment about 1 LEO.
    You dont know me from Adam, but if you feel so inclined to feel so insulted because a "brother" in blue had something said negative about him, then do so, I cant stop you. I am pro LEO and never said anything bad about LEOs on this forum or anywhere else.
    You ask a guy a question and he acts holier then holy, then he is a dick. Period, dont care if he is LEO or not. Just like the MPD officer who told me the other day when I told him of a situation two blocks down, "What do you want me to do about it". I called him a ass to his face.
    Police Pay scale sucks, they are underpaid for a thankless job.

So if it makes you feel better, I will delete my opinion of this 1 LEO

You're right, I don't know you. I can only infer about you from what you posted.

We all would do well to be mindful about what we post and how it is perceived, because the anti-gun community are watching. Lets hold ourselves to a higher standard.

It appeared to me that although the topic was about the handguns of area law enforcement officers, you went out of your way to post an "a^^hole cop" experience. (BTW, I agree - there was no excuse for the officer to respond like that)

Most importantly, its not even about YOU, its about US and OUR RKBA community and the sometimes overwhelming anti-police rhetoric.

For example, it seems that we hate the liberal press EXCEPT when they publish anti-police stories or comments, then we agree with them and wholly buy into their hyperbole and innuendo.

Some like to cherry pick. Not me. I think if its posted in the likes of the Washington Post, its CRAP.

We hate their "high powered assault rifle," crap, but love it when we see them come down on the "jack booted thugs."

It bothers me a little. :)

mdgsxr

Sep 26, 2007
    Eldersburg, MD.
    Just to correct a few things I have seen posted...

FPS may have had 357 Sigs, but *not* regular ICE SA's. They were carrying Glock 19's (legacy US Customs) and some HK's and Beretta's (legacy INS) prior to the transition to the Sigs they are currently issued.

Also DEA has *not* issued guns in .357 Sig to their recruits in Quantico. Anyone you see with a .357 Sig that is an actual DEA Special Agent (not a Task Force Officer) is carrying a personally owned weapon. At the academy they issue Glock 40's to recruits.

Also i'm not aware of any federal agency that issued a gun in .357 Sig "going away from it". Maybe a different model gun, such as FAMS going from the 229 to 250. But there are alot of federal agencies still carrying the Sig 229 in .357 Sig. Can't think of one that has left that caliber...

Remember that alot of federal agencies allow personally owned weapons to be carried. So just because someone is carrying it, doesn't mean it is issued, rather it' might just be an 'approved' weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom