• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -In the course of a typical week I'll scan hundreds if not thousands of listings. After a while you get good at ferreting out the little interesting tidbits that lead to gold. This was the latest that got my attention: Russian – Mod. 1938 Carbine (Modified) – 7.92mm Cal. Bolt Action Rifle – w/Sling. Loaded the auction house photos and while not the best I could make out specific features that told me a road trip to Redding Auction in Gettysburg was in order.
    -Arriving I went directly to the rifle rack and quickly verified I was right to make the drive. Bidding on lots leading up to this item were pretty routine, no crazy money in the room. So I was hoping that maybe I was the only soul to ID this lot. But was so wrong. When bidding on this lot started I found myself in competition with an employee of the house who was representing an absentee bid. Nuts! We quickly went to the limit of what I wanted to spend. Then did something I almost never do: I chased the bid. Luckily for me the absentee bid max'd out at the same number and I only had to go $50 over my limit. But then another live bidder jumped in only to drop away after one bid. She was mine after spending $100 more than I wanted, not the end of the world. Wasn't cheap, the most I've ever spent on a Mosin Nagant, but well under what these have been fetching in the market over the last decade.
    -What I got was not a Russian M38 but a Polish Wz. 91/98/26 built at the Arma facility in Lwow. It started life as a M91 that was reworked to a carbine chambered in 8 x 57mm. Quite a bit of work was involved and I can only think how much it parallels the French M27 Lebel. This article lists all the changes involved in the conversion and it's impressive just how extensive the list is.
    -I've never seen one of these in the flesh before today and rarely see them online, again much like the M27 Lebel. This one had a US web sling installed so it might have been a bring-back. Another possible avenue was via Spain as some of these were used in the SCW along with Polish Mausers.
    Removed the GI sling and replaced it with a proper looking period leather sling. This one goes to the back of the safe with the M27 Lebels!

Attachments

• IMGP7868.JPG
      IMGP7868.JPG
      34.5 KB · Views: 603
    • IMGP7859.JPG
      IMGP7859.JPG
      21.9 KB · Views: 491
    • IMGP7867.JPG
      IMGP7867.JPG
      54 KB · Views: 526
    • IMGP7866.JPG
      IMGP7866.JPG
      54.8 KB · Views: 497
    • IMGP7869.JPG
      IMGP7869.JPG
      84.3 KB · Views: 480
    • IMGP7875.JPG
      IMGP7875.JPG
      90.2 KB · Views: 495
    • IMGP7861.JPG
      IMGP7861.JPG
      44.5 KB · Views: 487
    • IMGP7862.JPG
      IMGP7862.JPG
      48.8 KB · Views: 494
    • IMGP7863.JPG
      IMGP7863.JPG
      40.6 KB · Views: 487
    • IMGP7877.JPG
      IMGP7877.JPG
      54.4 KB · Views: 481

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A few more photos showing the difference between the Wz. 91/98/26 bolt and a M91 Dragoon Bolt and the differences in stripper clip feeds on the receivers.

Attachments

• IMGP7870.JPG
      IMGP7870.JPG
      40 KB · Views: 459
    • IMGP7872.JPG
      IMGP7872.JPG
      32.7 KB · Views: 471
    • IMGP7873.JPG
      IMGP7873.JPG
      62.7 KB · Views: 473
    Jul 1, 2012
    The devil is in the details :)

I've been trying to adhere to the Mawkie Zen lately and not go over my "hard" limit.
    My world is now shattered.

Seriously sometimes you just have to go for it and I'm sure it was still a super-dooper deal !
    besides, when will another one cross your path, right?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That was running around in my head as the bidding rapidly zoomed to my limit. But as you said, when will I run across another?
    Did just fine as these routinely hammer in the $1500-3000 range and I paid much less than that. From all the examples I've found online this one is in better than avg condition. Many of the survivors I've run across were sporterized and had to be restored with modified stocks, much like how the Poles did it in the first place. Simpsons has a much nicer example for sale with a $3200 asking price (remains to be seen if they'll get a buyer at that price).
    What really threw me off my usual game was that there was a 2nd lot with a rare Glisenti M1910 magazine that I really needed going off at the exact same time in the main ring. I was trying to simultaneously watch both and ended up losing track of the Glisenti lot. Sure it went cheap (these routinely sell in the $250-300 range and this mag was immaculate). Even walked about for a bit afterwards looking to see if I could locate the buyer and cut a deal but no such luck. Oh well, can't have everything!

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I held one of these a few years ago in Lou's shop, unfortunately he was not selling. :(

What a awesome example, I am praying one day to find one for sale at a reasonable price. Great pickup!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I held one of these a few years ago in Lou's shop, unfortunately he was not selling. :(

What a awesome example, I am praying one day to find one for sale at a reasonable price. Great pickup!

That was an even rarer early version. Don't think I've ever seen another like it sell here in the US. Call it extreme unobtanium.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome grab Mawkie, glad you got it! I need to go to one of those Redding Auctions, but every time one comes around I'd already spent all my fun money

Let me know when you're ready to go, you know that I'm always happy to help you add to the collection. BTW, got three different Finn T30s now, one of them wants to go home with you some day! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom