• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cspafford

SSG, MP, SC
    Mar 9, 2010
    I was poking around the MD DNR website and found there is late season light (aka "snow") goose hunting in MD. I'm looking to get in on this, but don't know where to start looking for hunting grounds. I would prefer not to pay for a managed hunt or use a hunt club - simply because I'm broke all the time...lol

Any suggestions as to where to hunt snow geese in MD? Would prefer Baltimore County or Anne Arundel County areas.

vwluv10338

Jan 13, 2009
    Just a disclaimer: I just got into hunting this year so I have no direct knowledge.

I looked into this as well and in my reading this is what I have found. Snow geese fly in hudge flocks, as in thousands. The problem with this is they do not like to land in fields unless there are more birds on the ground than in their flock. Because of this you need a lot of decoys. I have seen people use bags to be cheap and easy to get a lot of decoys out.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Just a disclaimer: I just got into hunting this year so I have no direct knowledge.

I looked into this as well and in my reading this is what I have found. Snow geese fly in hudge flocks, as in thousands. The problem with this is they do not like to land in fields unless there are more birds on the ground than in their flock. Because of this you need a lot of decoys. I have seen people use bags to be cheap and easy to get a lot of decoys out.

been told the same by guides, you need hundreds of decoys, their honk is very different it is more of a bark compared to Canadian geese

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    been told the same by guides, you need hundreds of decoys, their honk is very different it is more of a bark compared to Canadian geese

a good guide will use over a thousand decoys. They are hard to hunt most of the time they know where they are going and you need to be where they want to go. I don't think you will find many in AACO or balt county. most of them are more towards the eastern shore, Delaware and New Jersey.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was poking around the MD DNR website and found there is late season light (aka "snow") goose hunting in MD. I'm looking to get in on this, but don't know where to start looking for hunting grounds. I would prefer not to pay for a managed hunt or use a hunt club - simply because I'm broke all the time...lol

Any suggestions as to where to hunt snow geese in MD? Would prefer Baltimore County or Anne Arundel County areas.

I have no clue but welcome to the forum. We need more telephone repair...I mean 25u's around here :D.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't think I've ever seen a light goose fly over my neck of the woods. I have not seen enough Canadians to even worry about setting up this year.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I hear them flying over western md but i bet they are a mile high heading for water.

You hire a guide to hunt them, don't think its possible to do well on your own unless you have all the spots and gear, and few do or even try.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Gents,

Trust me, snows are tough to hunt and your best bet is a guide with access to multiple properties and a large decoy spread. Kent and Queen Anne Counties are a good place to start.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Draw a line at rt. 213 and go east from there. Very rarely do I see them cross that. Not sure why exactly, but that's just the way it is, I guess. You will need quite a bit of decoys, but nothing fancy. About 100-200 texas rags or plywood decoys will do if you are in the right area. Diapers with a black X on the end worked, but not as good, methinks. The most important thing is movement though, IMO. DNR has a few areas down there if you don't mind the drive.

You really are better off getting a few friends together and going with a guide, though.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    They all must be here in Bryans Road,I've seen more this year than years past.

I'll be right there, just give me the address LOL I would love to find a good waterfowl spot in this area. Indian Head is surrounded by water on 4 sides and not a single waterfowl spot to be had.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Saw these in a field this morning outside Milsboro, DE. In fact, I saw two other fields with over 1k of snows this AM, on Rte 24 behind Mountaire Farms, and on Beaver Dam Rd outside Lewes, but neither of those groups were as big as this one.

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    I'll be right there, just give me the address LOL I would love to find a good waterfowl spot in this area. Indian Head is surrounded by water on 4 sides and not a single waterfowl spot to be had.

Amen to that. I've run across a couple of public ponds around here but haven't had a chance to hunt them yet.But of coarse you have the public blinds like down at Blossom Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom