• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    First deer hunt is Sunday. I live in Darlington but will be hunting with a friend in Emmitsburg. The '94 is all ready to go and I've started pulling out the warmest clothes I can find.

Any last minute advice for my first time out?

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    don't forget your orange, stay alert, stay calm, move slow, stay in longer than the horde

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Make sure you have your license and written permission to hunt on private land. Review the procedures for checking a deer in via the DNR toll-free number, and noting the harvest (and confirmation number) on your license.

If you see some deer, try to stay calm and make sure of the background before taking any shot.

Enjoy yourself, whether you get a deer or not! Good luck.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I will be in a stand. Actually my buddy has a stand large enough for two. He is going with me to keep an eye out and help me if I need it

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Don't expect to shoot anything your first time. Commit to going out several times this season. Keep in mind that once you're committed to going out more than once, it makes sense to wait patiently for an outstanding shot. You want your first shot to be a success and a good memory. Some of the best memories I have of hunting are about the wildlife that I see as a result of sitting quietly for a long time.

Good luck! I think you're going to enjoy it.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    remember to be quite. 1st time hunters tend to talk alot. be aware of your surroundings. oh yeah have fun. good luck

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    A hat is fine, if you will be in an area with several other hunters, you may want to do the vest for increased visibility - your friend can tell you if you'll be close to other hunters.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    He says we will be totally alone. Private land (owned by his mother) and very very rural. I figured that hat was sufficient but I don't want my first outing to end in a negative encounter, whether it's with DNR or another hunter

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I am most nervous about wounding a deer. I know my '94 shoots about 6" high at 50 yards but there is always the possibility of not getting a clean kill

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    When you're in the woods, the best way I know to describe what you're looking for is horizontal motion in a vertical world. If you think you see that, pay very close attention. And don't quickly dismiss it as "I must not have see anything moving". Chances are, that little bit of horizontal motion is what you'll first see. Chances are that what first gets your attention is that you'll have seen a bit of a deer long before the whole deer materializes. Be quiet, be still, and scan your area very slowly. The woods are a different world than the everyday hustle and bustle we're used to. Be patient.

GOOD LUCK!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Move slowly, nothing jerky or swift if you hear something behind you.

When your ready to shoot a deer, BREATHE....long deep breathe in for 5 seconds and out for 5 seconds. Squeeze trigger at the bottom of our breathe.

Good luck have fun!!!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    First, Turn your phones ringer off. Don't know how many times I have been hunting and I hear a phone going off but best yet is they pick it up and start talking. Then they start complaining that they don't see anything. Second, layer your cloths for warmth. That way if it starts to get hot out just take off one layer. Third, enjoy your time out there. Don't stress if your not seeing any deer. Remember a bad day of hunting is better then a good day at work.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    First, Turn your phones ringer off. Don't know how many times I have been hunting and I hear a phone going off but best yet is they pick it up and start talking. Then they start complaining that they don't see anything. Second, layer your cloths for warmth. That way if it starts to get hot out just take off one layer. Third, enjoy your time out there. Don't stress if your not seeing any deer. Remember a bad day of hunting is better then a good day at work.
    I know people that use 'crickets' or 'squirrel' sounds for their ring tones, just in case they forget to turn their ringers off (not on vibrate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom