• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Anyone have a recommendation based on ownership?
    It going to be used on mostly milsurps which bring a few unique things into play.

It will be used on a Lee Enfield No4 Mk2, A Lee Enfield SMLE, a second SMLE, but with the .22 sub caliber insert barrel tube, A Lee Enfield No5 Mk1 "Jungle Carbine" (with the conical flash suppressor) & an Imbel made FAL with the Imbel combo device.

Use will be occasional & sporadic only, so I do not want to spend big bucks. (call it $50 or less)
    Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Laser boresighters should only be used to get you on paper, not precision.
    With those bolt guns you listed, you could just manually boresight them- just remove the bolt and look down the barrel and compare that to the sight picture.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Laser boresighters should only be used to get you on paper, not precision.
    With those bolt guns you listed, you could just manually boresight them- just remove the bolt and look down the barrel and compare that to the sight picture.
    I've done the old-fashioned bore-sight once - that wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be, but it did work.

I've had a mixed bag result with the one 223 laser bore sighter I have, and like Rocinante says, it's not for precision - it's to get you on the paper so that you can dial in easier. I've never been particularly close - just close enough to see where I'm hitting so that I can dial in afterward - and I think it might be the "quality" (or lack thereof) of the laser bore sighter.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Depending on time and distance you can use most that are out there, I have found some that are accurate to within 2 inch diameter most will be slightly off center. starting at 10 yards put the bore sight in mark the target rotate it 90 degrees in the bore and mark the target again, repeat this to get at least 4 marks. now you can move it out to 25 yards and repeat now you can shoot the gun to dial into the second circle drawn before moving it out further. I have found ones that were horrible out to 25 yards I am talking like 8 inches on 2 points.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Depending on time and distance you can use most that are out there, I have found some that are accurate to within 2 inch diameter most will be slightly off center. starting at 10 yards put the bore sight in mark the target rotate it 90 degrees in the bore and mark the target again, repeat this to get at least 4 marks. now you can move it out to 25 yards and repeat now you can shoot the gun to dial into the second circle drawn before moving it out further. I have found ones that were horrible out to 25 yards I am talking like 8 inches on 2 points.
    Mine is off a good 4-6 inches at 25 yards - it gets me close enough so that I can do the rest on the scope.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    That's one reason I picked models where you can adjust the dot for centering.
    I'm not expecting miracles, but These tired old eyes & stiff old neck are taking a break finally.
    Yes there will be some setup time I expect that.
    I'm not expecting sub MOA either.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Well it arrived here today.
    It has a rechargeable CR-2 battery which I charged. Not 3X button batteries needing daily replacement.
    I picked it because:
    A: Its green & so more highly visible. Particularly outdoors.
    B: Its adjustable for center, so I checked with rotating in Vee blocks. At 35 yds outdoors (to my garden shed) its less than 2 MOA deviation when spun.
    C: I'll twiddle the grub screws & fine tune that a bit.
    D: the price was right at under $22.oo.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom