• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Now why would anyone except the unluckiest, clumsiest Private First Class need an optic that can withstand being thrown out of a helicopter? There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to optics, does the everyday shooter really need a $600 mini red dot?
    Kevp, tell us what your guns are used for that requires such extensive waterproofing, shockproofing, and night vision capability in your sights? I'll bet you're just like the rest of us, and use your guns to punch tiny holes in paper. Anyone that slams their gun into a concrete floor needs that gun taken away from them and replaced with a rubber ducky. You just need to justify the ridiculously high price you paid for the Aimpoints, and knowing that it can take extreme abuse does that for you. Admit it, Aimpoint is the flavor of the month and you bought into the hype.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Great, just what we need, another internet tough guy.

Look, to some everything isn't about the money. It's about quality & durability.

Some people don't just shoot from a bench, they compete, they train, they hunt, they use their guns as patrol rifles or home defense rifles. They want their guns to be capable of taking the abuse. They don't want to get to a class, a hunt or on duty and have some piece of shit optic go down on them.

If you're too cheap to buy quality, and you think its good enough for what ever your uses are then buy cheap. Some of us can afford and want one of the best optics on the market.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

Look, to some everything isn't about the money. It's about quality & durability.

Some people don't just shoot from a bench, they compete, they train, they hunt, they use their guns as patrol rifles or home defense rifles. They want their guns to be capable of taking the abuse. They don't want to get to a class, a hunt or on duty and have some piece of shit optic go down on them.

If your too cheap to buy quality, and you think its good enough for what ever your uses are then buy cheap. Some of us can afford and want one of the best optics on the market.

:thumbsup: well said

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Now why would anyone except the unluckiest, clumsiest Private First Class need an optic that can withstand being thrown out of a helicopter? There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to optics, does the everyday shooter really need a $600 mini red dot?
    Kevp, tell us what your guns are used for that requires such extensive waterproofing, shockproofing, and night vision capability in your sights? I'll bet you're just like the rest of us, and use your guns to punch tiny holes in paper. Anyone that slams their gun into a concrete floor needs that gun taken away from them and replaced with a rubber ducky. You just need to justify the ridiculously high price you paid for the Aimpoints, and knowing that it can take extreme abuse does that for you. Admit it, Aimpoint is the flavor of the month and you bought into the hype.

Oy!

It's well known here that I'm not a fan of Aimpoints. I can's see for shit with them. I have too much difficulty picking up the target, and for weak eye shooting? Forget it!

I've tried them, again and again, but they don't work... FOR ME!

That said, they are fine optics! So are EOTechs. They are my preferred red-dot sights. They work soooo much better, FOR ME!

But don't even think about coming here and trashing Kevp, when you don't know who you're trashing. He knows his shit.

If you're gonna' trash someone, make it clandestine. He lives for that shit... :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Jamie

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    If you're gonna' trash someone, make it clandestine. He lives for that shit...

Oh, now you've done it. :)

:popcorn:

And personally; yes, I only punch holes in paper (though I plan on getting into some competitions now that I've finished grad school and have some free time). But I prefer to put a good quality optic on my guns. I can't see putting a $50 optic on a $1500 rifle. And while I don't depend on my guns like some forum members, I like to think that if the need arose, I wouldn't have to worry about either my weapon of its optic failing me.

Nothing wrong with getting cheaper optics (I've had a few), but if you can afford a quality optic and chose to get one; whats the problem? And the whole AimPoint vs EoTech debate is like Porsche vs Corvette IMO. Just a matter of preference and what features are important to you.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    You all have good points and i agree. I wa just saying it would be nice to see more videos like the dd video. I know others would like to see other optics put through these torture tests too. It would be nice to actually SEE what those optics can do. Not just go by what ppl say. I dont doubt aimpoints are strong, i plan on upgrading my strikefire to one, even though there is NOTHING really wrong with it, i just want a comp m3. Still, spending that kind of money id like to see the actual tests, not hear, oh socom tested it. That means something but its just nice to see the test done. I know the t1 or h1 guys felt really good after the dd video.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looks like this thread has added 3 more to my ignore list.

KevP is not a keyboard commando. He is a respected Member of the U.S. Armed Services and isnt just a Grunt, he is well beyond that. His opinion carries weight. You are disresepectful.

Im involved in the gun industry as well and I agree with everything KevP has said here. We both know these things based on actual experience, and actually handling them and seeing what works under harsh conditions.

Theres lots of people who have handled one of a buddies, finger banged one at a gunstore/gunshow or happens to own ONE example........these people arent the ones to listen to.

Oh, now you've done it. :)

:popcorn:

:sad20:

If you're too cheap to buy quality, and you think its good enough for what ever your uses are then buy cheap. Some of us can afford and want one of the best optics on the market.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    To those backing me up- thank you.

I guess "Kilroy was here." To clarify- the AP on the concrete was a demonstration of its durability. Obviously you've never served and don't understand the abuse equipment takes in training and combat. I'm sure our Soldiers rest easy knowing you do not select their optics or anything else.

Does a civilian abuse their gear like that? Those that actually train and compete probably do. Those that hunt hard and care about not wounding animals due to optics malfunctioning probably do. Do guys that just paper punch need that? No.

On EO Techs- I've owned multiple versions and been issued one on a duty weapon. I've had at least 5-10 occasions where they've shut down while firing. They do have some nice features. If L3 would get serious about their shortcomings and improve durability, they would be a fine optic.

Too many people get personally attached to their purchases. If you buy something uninformed and find out it is lacking, either accept that it is ok for you or dump it and move forward. I've made plenty of uninformed purchases and been disappointed. Sheesh.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

Oh, and Kilroy don't "suppose" what I do or don't do.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    After a brief look over the Aimpoint models, the C3, M2, and M3 look similar, C3 being the cheapest. Besides no NV capability and the lowest waterproof rating, is there anything else that makes the C3 "cheap"? Seems like a good deal to me, but I haven't spent much time looking at optics yet.

Do you prefer the 2 or 4 MOA dot?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    To those backing me up- thank you.

I guess "Kilroy was here." To clarify- the AP on the concrete was a demonstration of its durability. Obviously you've never served and don't understand the abuse equipment takes in training and combat. I'm sure our Soldiers rest easy knowing you do not select their optics or anything else.

Does a civilian abuse their gear like that? Those that actually train and compete probably do. Those that hunt hard and care about not wounding animals due to optics malfunctioning probably do. Do guys that just paper punch need that? No.

On EO Techs- I've owned multiple versions and been issued one on a duty weapon. I've had at least 5-10 occasions where they've shut down while firing. They do have some nice features. If L3 would get serious about their shortcomings and improve durability, they would be a fine optic.

Too many people get personally attached to their purchases. If you buy something uninformed and find out it is lacking, either accept that it is ok for you or dump it and move forward. I've made plenty of uninformed purchases and been disappointed. Sheesh.

Kev, you're clearly uniformed because you're a keyboard commando paper puncher, so i'll inform you with my extensive spec-ops-uber-ninja-wow-gamin knowledge.

1) My BSA illuminated mildot scope is better than your nightforce at 1/10 the cost
    2) i bathe my guns in militec and then wipe them dry because everyone knows that's better in the sandy md environment than those crappy overpriced slip products
    3) My strikefire is better than your aimpoint or acog for lots less money. they're just overpriced anyway
    4) The taurus judge with birdshot is the best defensive handgun ever made ever...well, maybe next after the deagle. All you got to do is shoot them in the face from 20 yards as you're tactically retreating and the birdshot will blind them and make their head explode.
    5) DPMS, del-ton and bushmaster all make rifles just as good or better than those overpriced noveske, DD, colt and les baer's

there, now you should be better informed to participate in discussions. It's not your fault, i know you've probably never done anything honorable or important that should earn everyone's respect and attentive ear.

p.s.-*sarcasm off* people here do still pull up your recent posts to see what they can learn from someone who knows. It's good you're still posting and putting up with the haters :thumbsup:

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Both are great but is it not frustrating buying an Aimpoint and then paying extra for a mount? It should be ready to go out the box for that price...that's my only quirk with them. Battery life is not that serious for civilian use/practical shooter is it!?!

chalwie

Apr 27, 2010
    Battery life is not that serious for civilian use/practical shooter is it!?!
    It depends what you're using your guns for. Even if your guns are for range fun, it's a good idea to make one rifle and one handgun highly reliable for self defense. Then shoot it a lot to work out the kinks.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    It depends what you're using your guns for. Even if your guns are for range fun, it's a good idea to make one rifle and one handgun highly reliable for self defense. Then shoot it a lot to work out the kinks.

I'm just cautious to hear what others have to say. AA lithium is readily available and I keep an extra 2-4 on me at all times. Costs a few bucks so it's not a big deal.

I do want the Elcan Specter which I hear is pretty damn reliable.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I'm just cautious to hear what others have to say. AA lithium is readily available and I keep an extra 2-4 on me at all times. Costs a few bucks so it's not a big deal.

I do want the Elcan Specter which I hear is pretty damn reliable.

I want whats in your Avatar

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Christ on a crutch. You need to gear the eff down and pay attention to who you're talking to and how you say it before you go spouting off any more of this nonsense.

Guys like KevP got more time behind a gun before taking their morning dump than 99.9% of the people on this forum do in their lifetime and you're just making an ass out of yourself for running this sort of drivel.

Sometimes I think we ought to have a month waiting period between joining and the ability to post and force people to actually pay attention before running off at the mouth with this sort of crap.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Christ on a crutch. You need to gear the eff down and pay attention to who you're talking to and how you say it before you go spouting off any more of this nonsense.

Guys like KevP got more time behind a gun before taking their morning dump than 99.9% of the people on this forum do in their lifetime and you're just making an ass out of yourself for running this sort of drivel.

Sometimes I think we ought to have a month waiting period between joining and the ability to post and force people to actually pay attention before running off at the mouth with this sort of crap.

Pwned.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh

See, I was trying to be nice.

Norton is bad mofo !

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Go with a primary arms or a vortex red dot. They are both around $100 with mounts and are pretty much as good as an aimpoint micro (which is rediculously overpriced for what it is). If you want a full size, you can find a nice used M2 with mount in the $300 range. I dont like micros beacuse the FOV is so small and it makes everything look cramped. I have a PA on my .357 Marlin lever gun and it has held zero through hundreds of full power loads.

This is hilarious..... Put the crack pipe down... :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom