• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Primers at five times the price they used to be just a few short years ago.

There was a time when a dropped primer would remain on the carpet.

Now I crawl around like a kid looking for a lost M&M.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    At the BCFG gun show/swap meet sellers were readily getting $100-$110 for bricks of primers. Not asking, getting that. I won't say people were lining up, but I assure you they were sold out by the end of the day.

For the guy looking for only a brick of primers, by the time he adds shipping and hazmat, he's pretty well there. So yeah, I can see them selling, even if perhaps not the best available price.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No, that was their marked price. I just checked my last purchase from Shydas for LRP and their cost was $69.99 per 1000 about 6 months ago.
    It'll be awhile yet, but I am seeing LRP more and more often. The prices will come down too. Me thinks it is the last squeeze. Of course, some other big panic or change in the market could reverse the trend.

Difficult to find, but BPS/Cabelas/Academy and a few the other big ones will sell them for ~$90-100 for 1k when they have them in stock. Which is uncommon, I know, but it does happen.

Fortunately, I am sitting on enough to take care of me for a few years. A lesson learned there, unless your finances can't stretch, get enough primers to last a few years and then keep those topped up when availability is high and prices low. I just moved, and about a 10 year supply of most primers (based on current usage) that I have took up one home depot small moving cardboard box and one small amazon box for the "extra". If the few k federal primers I had were any other brand, it would have fit in the HD moving box with room to spare (damn Federal, you got some chonky packaging).

That said, I would like to hunt down a few k more LRP eventually. My biggest primer problem is a lot of mine I bought early 2020 with whatever was available and trickled in over the few years since. So I don't have a lot of consistency in primers. I've got 4k LRP. But it is 2k Rem, 1k CCI, 1k CCI NATO 7.62 primers (I shoot probably 500-600 rounds combined of .30-06 and .308 a year). I hate needing to work up new loads because I have to switch components.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    It'll be awhile yet, but I am seeing LRP more and more often. The prices will come down too. Me thinks it is the last squeeze. Of course, some other big panic or change in the market could reverse the trend.

Difficult to find, but BPS/Cabelas/Academy and a few the other big ones will sell them for ~$90-100 for 1k when they have them in stock. Which is uncommon, I know, but it does happen.

Fortunately, I am sitting on enough to take care of me for a few years. A lesson learned there, unless your finances can't stretch, get enough primers to last a few years and then keep those topped up when availability is high and prices low. I just moved, and about a 10 year supply of most primers (based on current usage) that I have took up one home depot small moving cardboard box and one small amazon box for the "extra". If the few k federal primers I had were any other brand, it would have fit in the HD moving box with room to spare (damn Federal, you got some chonky packaging).

That said, I would like to hunt down a few k more LRP eventually. My biggest primer problem is a lot of mine I bought early 2020 with whatever was available and trickled in over the few years since. So I don't have a lot of consistency in primers. I've got 4k LRP. But it is 2k Rem, 1k CCI, 1k CCI NATO 7.62 primers (I shoot probably 500-600 rounds combined of .30-06 and .308 a year). I hate needing to work up new loads because I have to switch components.
    "(damn Federal, you got some chonky packaging)" I'm glad it's not just me !!

~IF~ given a choice - I'll buy something else in a box 1/4 of the size as that damn brick they're using, not that beggars can be choosy these days..

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    "(damn Federal, you got some chonky packaging)" I'm glad it's not just me !!

~IF~ given a choice - I'll buy something else in a box 1/4 of the size as that damn brick they're using, not that beggars can be choosy these days..

I think it goes without saying that Feds are the most sensitive primer to detonate and most stories of hand primers blowing up are with Fed, so their packaging is warranted iMHO. :innocent0

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I think it goes without saying that Feds are the most sensitive primer to detonate and most stories of hand primers blowing up are with Fed, so their packaging is warranted iMHO. :innocent0
    I do agree with you, but it doesn't do any favors for storage, especially if you are a hoarder, like me;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO, also why I do and don’t want to use them. I’d much rather use them in pistols in case of a light strike. I don’t want to use them in rifles in case of floating firing pins.

In my SKS dropping the bolt on a round the second time will set it off. With Win primers and CCI it takes a third time.

Though I switched to a spring loaded firing pin and now even federal takes an improbably number of chamberings to set one off.

But they make me really nervous in ARs and SKS

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Been using the Federals in my SKS and haven't had any detonate on the bolt drop. That said, I have only ejected live rounds a couple of times which were later re-chambered.

Since I never charge the SKS until the muzzle is pointed down range, it should not present an issue.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Been using the Federals in my SKS and haven't had any detonate on the bolt drop. That said, I have only ejected live rounds a couple of times which were later re-chambered.

Since I never charge the SKS until the muzzle is pointed down range, it should not present an issue.
    Just make sure you charge it with muzzle down range and you behind it with the stock on your shoulder. Even two rounds of x39 in a tenth of a second is…lively if you aren’t expecting it. Let alone don’t really have control over the rifle.

(And my SKS has been clean of cosmoline for years and the bolt and firing pin are very clean)

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County

Looks like free ship offered also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member