• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Sadly she is actually right about this. The catch and release and lighter pleas are disgusting. If I punch you in the face and steal your iphone the "system" is allowing you to plea to simple assault and theft 2 (both Misd cases) instead of Robbery.

Stab your brother and when it's all said and done , if you even get convicted, its of simple assault and ATTEMPT possession of a prohibited weapon (don't get hung up on that term prohibited.)

you have to have 2-3 felony convictions before anything really happens to you in this city. before I left my last Unit I was working with another .GOV agency and we were sort of tracking a guy who hadn't charged his GPS device (on probation for robbery) in 2 months yet his probation hadn't been revoked.

Police take the blunt of the blame for you all aren't doing this or that but we can only complete our jobs when the other agencies complete theirs and sadly there has been a lack of attention on that. Half the time when people are released on probation/Pre-trial the addresses they provide aren't even verified. I've dealt with cases where defendants have provided addresses of houses that have been vacant for 20 years and the other .gov agencies will use that as their address. I'm sure these other agencies are over worked and understaffed as well be these critical errors lead to serious monitoring problems.

Coupled with the fact that Depart of Youth Rehabilitation Services (DYRS) can essentially release respondents (juvenile defendants).

Please don't take this analogy as UN-PC but police are the citys garbage men and what the city does with the garbage after we drop it off is up to them. I 100% don't mean that all arrestees are garbage, that wouldn't be a fair statement. A lot of good people get caught up in poor situations. I am just using that as an analogy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't disagree one bit MPDC. You are the garbage collectors for DC's failures. But perhaps if she truly honest, she would also says that with the system broken, law abiding citizens have a right to protect themselves.

she has nothing to lose now by speaking the truth. her pension is intact.

crickets.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't disagree one bit MPDC. You are the garbage collectors for DC's failures. But perhaps if she truly honest, she would also says that with the system broken, law abiding citizens have a right to protect themselves.

she has nothing to lose now by speaking the truth. her pension is intact.

crickets.

Sadly again she is smart not to address these types of concerns. That would be construed as a political comment and the last thing she needs is to take a hardline political stance on something before starting a high profile job.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Isn't her statement that the Justice System is broken a hard line political stance?

Some could view it as thinly veiled racism.

just my opinion.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Please don't take this analogy as UN-PC but police are the citys garbage men and what the city does with the garbage after we drop it off is up to them. I 100% don't mean that all arrestees are garbage, that wouldn't be a fair statement. A lot of good people get caught up in poor situations. I am just using that as an analogy.

To keep going on your analogy, it appears as if once you turn in the cities garbage to the dump, the dump is then going around returning the garbage right back into peoples trash cans. This isn't anything new. Look at the rap sheet of Freddie Grey.

We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world and we are saying that we need to lock up more people. While I don't disagree completely and let me say, this isn't a poke at the police or criminal justice system at all... but I guess locking people up is a lot easier than dealing with the issues that are causing the crime in the first place. We wouldn't want any resemblance of real leadership in our government now would we? This lady is no exception. This is just like SRB in Baltimore saying that the system is broken and that no one is responsible for it. Even though she is by definition in charge of the system and the leader of the system in Baltimore City. You can't make this stuff up.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    To keep going on your analogy, it appears as if once you turn in the cities garbage to the dump, the dump is then going around returning the garbage right back into peoples trash cans. This isn't anything new. Look at the rap sheet of Freddie Grey.

We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world and we are saying that we need to lock up more people. While I don't disagree completely and let me say, this isn't a poke at the police or criminal justice system at all... but I guess locking people up is a lot easier than dealing with the issues that are causing the crime in the first place. We wouldn't want any resemblance of real leadership in our government now would we? This lady is no exception. This is just like SRB in Baltimore saying that the system is broken and that no one is responsible for it. Even though she is by definition in charge of the system and the leader of the system in Baltimore City. You can't make this stuff up.

We make up a ton of reasons why these problems are occurring but I can say RARLEY is actual poverty the issue.

I've had kids tell me straight up that being a thug is the cool thing to do.

I wish I knew the answer to this problem buts it's a super dynamic issue but I do believe that zero accountability is a factor in this problem. At least in the areas I've worked I can say poverty is less of an issue then people make it seem. I've never seen drug dealers using their proceeds to buy food......but I've seen some 300 dollar shoes and nice cars.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    We make up a ton of reasons why these problems are occurring but I can say RARLEY is actual poverty the issue.

I've had kids tell me straight up that being a thug is the cool thing to do.

I wish I knew the answer to this problem buts it's a super dynamic issue but I do believe that zero accountability is a factor in this problem. At least in the areas I've worked I can say poverty is less of an issue then people make it seem. I've never seen drug dealers using their proceeds to buy food......but I've seen some 300 dollar shoes and nice cars.

I hear ya completely. I agree that the issue is very complicated and dynamic as well. Some of the root causes of these problems are systemic and culturally ingrained. There aren't any easy solutions, but there are solutions. I've seen kids get hit by their parents because they scuffed up their shoes.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Sadly she is actually right about this. The catch and release and lighter pleas are disgusting. If I punch you in the face and steal your iphone the "system" is allowing you to plea to simple assault and theft 2 (both Misd cases) instead of Robbery.

Stab your brother and when it's all said and done , if you even get convicted, its of simple assault and ATTEMPT possession of a prohibited weapon (don't get hung up on that term prohibited.)

you have to have 2-3 felony convictions before anything really happens to you in this city. before I left my last Unit I was working with another .GOV agency and we were sort of tracking a guy who hadn't charged his GPS device (on probation for robbery) in 2 months yet his probation hadn't been revoked.

Police take the blunt of the blame for you all aren't doing this or that but we can only complete our jobs when the other agencies complete theirs and sadly there has been a lack of attention on that. Half the time when people are released on probation/Pre-trial the addresses they provide aren't even verified. I've dealt with cases where defendants have provided addresses of houses that have been vacant for 20 years and the other .gov agencies will use that as their address. I'm sure these other agencies are over worked and understaffed as well be these critical errors lead to serious monitoring problems.

Coupled with the fact that Depart of Youth Rehabilitation Services (DYRS) can essentially release respondents (juvenile defendants).

You put it perfectly. If the average citizen would see what happens in the courtroom for one year we would would have riots in the street. Murderers and violent criminals doing less then 10% of their sentences if they even get sentenced to prison at all. People with 3+ DUI convictions getting 1-2 days in jail with court cost fines only. Sexual offenders getting outrageously lienient sentences.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    ... I do believe that zero accountability is a factor in this problem....

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner.

Zero accountability is more and more prevalent in all aspects of our society.
    This is at the work place, in the streets, on the news, embodied by our politicians.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    C. Lanier has always been and always will be a lame ####! She's overrated as was the dude who preceded her and is now up in Philly. The only Chief of Police we've had with a pair of gonads in the DC/Balt area in the past 30 years was Ed Norris, and he stepped on his cord and got fired after carousing and getting caught with his hand in the till.

And yes, the legal system is stacked against the hard working men and women in law enforcement who toil on the streets day in and day out. They deserve our unrelenting 100% support.

Lew--Ranger63

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There's no doubt that our justice system is broken. It also happens to be the best in the world. Go figure.

I'm not sure I agree. The system is deliberately loaded against the little guy, and justice is dispensed to favor the side who can afford the best lawyer. Meanwhile the head of the DoJ is corrupt, the head of the FBI, who is in an appointed position to shield him from political influence, is obviously unwilling to do his job, at the state and city level there's serious revolving-door issues, the law-writers are only interested in re-election, so they fill the lawbooks with self-serving crap until shelves groan under the weight, and unelected administrative law judges do whatever they and their sponsors want, with no recourse.

If that's the best we can do, I'd give the thing a D-, while admitting that there are a few practitioners who are worthy of an A grade. Sadly, they cannot do much to repair the system.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm not sure I agree. The system is deliberately loaded against the little guy, and justice is dispensed to favor the side who can afford the best lawyer. Meanwhile the head of the DoJ is corrupt, the head of the FBI, who is in an appointed position to shield him from political influence, is obviously unwilling to do his job, at the state and city level there's serious revolving-door issues, the law-writers are only interested in re-election, so they fill the lawbooks with self-serving crap until shelves groan under the weight, and unelected administrative law judges do whatever they and their sponsors want, with no recourse.

If that's the best we can do, I'd give the thing a D-, while admitting that there are a few practitioners who are worthy of an A grade. Sadly, they cannot do much to repair the system.

Again, I agree that it's broken. Where in your opinion exists a better system of justice elsewhere in the world?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    She's upset about lenient treatment of felons but wants to work for the NFL?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Mpdc. You are not the garbage men. More like the recycling folks. Except that the transfer station just sends out a truck that drops the recycled goods back at the citizens curbs.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007

I don't agree. I see the full spectrum of people getting light or no sentences for guilty convictions. The only real justice and accountability in the system is usually administrative law judges. Basically our country is seeing a shift away from sentencing and accountability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom