• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Hey, guys, words mean some very specific things. This isn't an attempt to be the grammar cop here, but only to let people know--if they don't already--what certain terms mean. Here are a couple that get misused a LOT in the gun world:

Unique - This does NOT mean that something's unusual, sort of rare, hard to find, or things like that. It DOES mean that it is the only one of its kind in existence. So ... something can't be "very unique" or "the most unique _____".

Mint Condition - In perfect condition, exactly as it came out of the factory as a perfect specimen. It doesn't mean "a pretty nice example," or one that's in very good condition. It means that it is absolutely perfect. So ... something can't be, for example, "In mint condition with normal handling dings and scratches". That's sort of like saying that someone's a virgin ... other than the fact that they've had sex with a hundred partners.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So my mint Mosin M38 that has a dull bore with minimal pitting, that should clean up nicely, is not unique because it has an M44 stock?

;)

Jul 1, 2012
    Even guns straight out of the factory are usually not "mint", if they've been test-fired :)
    Even if not, there's almost always some sort of handling mark or tiny flaw here and there from working the bolt, racking the slide, finger-banging it, etc.
    Hence IMHO there is no such thing as a truly mint gun "out in the wild".

which leads to....

My favorite is "minty" - I assume that's like "almost mint" which seems to be some sort of arbitrary sliding scale
    (I've seen it used to describe 90% or worse guns).
    Either that or it smells/tastes like a mint julep.

Jul 1, 2012
    Frosting - used to describe bore should be basically a light film-like coating but typically used to cover everything up to heavy pitting

Patina - well, y'all know this one :)

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    according to the NRA:

NRA MODERN GUN CONDITION STANDARDS:

NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.
    PERFECT: In New condition in every respect. (Jim's note - in my experience, many collectors & dealers use "As New" to describe this condition).
    EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).
    VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.
    GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
    FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

theres a good read here:
    http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-research/evaluating-firearms-condition.aspx

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Recently I saw someone advertising a mosin 91-30 (for the life I can't remember where):

"One of kind" :lol2: :innocent0 :rolleyes:
    :lol:
    Really? There's only been about a gazillion of those things made!

It was the only one with that particular serial number?

I've noticed that some sellers will say that about an otherwise very common rifle because they've done something stupid like drilled it for a particular scope, or they've put it into a plastic stock and painted it with snakes and lilies, or something like that.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012

Attachments

• Meh.jpg
      Meh.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 272

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    The more you learn and educate yourself on a particular example you'll notice how subjective terms as mint and unique, rare or even scarce evolve rapidly and change as you learn.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Agreed - Good Stuff!

Recently I saw someone advertising a mosin 91-30 (for the life I can't remember where):

"One of kind" :lol2: :innocent0 :rolleyes:
    :lol:
    Really? There's only been about a gazillion of those things made!

But... but... it was owned by the Czar of Australia and used to assassinate the Grand High Duke of Absurdistan to start the 98 year War of the Black-Eyed-Susans. :D

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    But... but... it was owned by the Czar of Australia and used to assassinate the Grand High Duke of Absurdistan to start the 98 year War of the Black-Eyed-Susans. :D

The 98 year War Of The Black-Eyed Susans. Is that the term that evolved into modern day terminology as wife beating???

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom