• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    In my last post in this section of the forum I asked for suggestions on where to obtain an AKMS kit. Since then I stumbled upon a BEAUTIFUL (and inexpensive) Polish AKMS kit, with the original barrel. If this rifle was ever fired then it certainly wasn't fired much. The stock shows genuine wear but it is the only part of the kit that is really worn at all. Even the bolt face has most of the paint left on it...

The kit is finished with, based on my research, black paint over parkerized steel. The kit is in such great shape that I don't want to refinish it. Instead I'd like to finish my Nodak receiver to match. It'll look more correct, plus the stock is worn in such a way that the rifle just looks really good as is.

That being said, I'd like suggestions on how to finish the receiver to match. I'm sure someone has tried to do this before me.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What I would so is bead blast all the metal parts and parkerize them. For some reason some guns just look better with that fuzzy grey coating.
    Without a background in paint matching it may be an excercise in frustration. Of course someone here might know exactly what you need.

Also how did your minivan turn out?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What I would so is bead blast all the metal parts and parkerize them. For some reason some guns just look better with that fuzzy grey coating.
    Without a background in paint matching it may be an excercise in frustration. Of course someone here might know exactly what you need.

Also how did your minivan turn out?

Hah thanks for asking. Seems to have been a bad ignition coil. Runs much better now thanks to everyone's assistance

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    That being said, I'd like suggestions on how to finish the receiver to match. I'm sure someone has tried to do this before me.

Get your trunnions and trigger guard riveted in, but don't put anything else on. Blast, parkerize, and hit it with Norrell's Molyresin, black semi-gloss.

Cause that's exactly what I did with this one. :D

folded.jpg

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Will the molyresin match the current paint well? I really didn't want to bead blast the whole thing (the paint is in great shape). Also this is an older parts kit so the barrel is already pressed in to the trunnion. In fact the whole front end of the gun is totally assembled so just riveting in the front trunnion isn't an option

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Will the molyresin match the current paint well? I really didn't want to bead blast the whole thing (the paint is in great shape). Also this is an older parts kit so the barrel is already pressed in to the trunnion. In fact the whole front end of the gun is totally assembled so just riveting in the front trunnion isn't an option

You press the barrel out, rivet the front trunnion in, then press the barrel back in. It's 'how it's done'

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You press the barrel out, rivet the front trunnion in, then press the barrel back in. It's 'how it's done'

Well crap, I didn't figure I needed to disassemble the rifle quite that far to do this. I'm not about cutting corners, don't get me wrong, I just didn't figure on pressing this barrel out.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yes, they are black paint over phosphate. Sometimes, parts were not painted and simply left in the phosphate finish. It CAN and SHOULD be rebuilt while preserving the original finish. Armed Ferret did it the right way. I didn't want mine refinished either because I liked the patina just as it was. I'm also an enthusiastic proponent of keeping them as original as possible. In my case, I just had them leave the receiver as it came and had the kit assembled onto it without refinishing anything:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Will the molyresin match the current paint well? I really didn't want to bead blast the whole thing (the paint is in great shape).

You think maybe there's a reason i said to only rivet in the front and rear trunnions, then blast just that piece, park it, and hit it with the molyresin, instead of telling you to build the whole rifle then blast/park/moly the whole thing?

Also this is an older parts kit so the barrel is already pressed in to the trunnion. In fact the whole front end of the gun is totally assembled so just riveting in the front trunnion isn't an option

You're right, it's not an option. It's how you build it. You press the barrel pin out, press out the barrel, then rivet the trunnion into the receiver. How were you planning on attaching it, since you didn't think riveting it in was "an option"? Describe in detail, please.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You think maybe there's a reason i said to only rivet in the front and rear trunnions, then blast just that piece, park it, and hit it with the molyresin, instead of telling you to build the whole rifle then blast/park/moly the whole thing?

You're right, it's not an option. It's how you build it. You press the barrel pin out, press out the barrel, then rivet the trunnion into the receiver. How were you planning on attaching it, since you didn't think riveting it in was "an option"? Describe in detail, please.

I had planned on leaving the entire front end of the rifle (barrel, trunnion, etc) assembled and riveting it on to the receiver.

Oh, wait, nevermind. Forgot about those rivets that have to be put in BEFORE the barrel is pressed in to place :sad20:

Guess the barrel is coming out. Bear with me, guys, never done this before

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Fortunately we have a 20 ton press at the shop where I work so getting it pressed out shouldn't be a big deal. Just not something I planned to do

Follow up question: Since this barrel has already been mounted and drilled and all, should I purchase head space gauges and double check it after I press it back in to place?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yes, they are black paint over phosphate. Sometimes, parts were not painted and simply left in the phosphate finish. It CAN and SHOULD be rebuilt while preserving the original finish. Armed Ferret did it the right way. I didn't want mine refinished either because I liked the patina just as it was. I'm also an enthusiastic proponent of keeping them as original as possible. In my case, I just had them leave the receiver as it came and had the kit assembled onto it without refinishing anything:

Forgot to reply to this post. YES, this is exactly what I am after. I don't want mine to look perfect, I'd rather preserve the original finish and patina of the rifle

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Fortunately we have a 20 ton press at the shop where I work so getting it pressed out shouldn't be a big deal. Just not something I planned to do

Follow up question: Since this barrel has already been mounted and drilled and all, should I purchase head space gauges and double check it after I press it back in to place?

if the bolt/trunnion are numbers matching, i wouldn't worry about it.

if they aren't, i'd at least get a go gauge just to be sure. you can put a layer of scotch tape on the back of it to simulate a no-go.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I bought the parts kit from a private party. Friend of a friend. He bought it with the intent of finishing it but never did and since 10/1. I bought a receiver before 10/1 and set it aside so that when I found a nice kit I could finish it.

I won't tell you what I paid because it may upset you

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    look on GB allied armament polish ak's are selling as guns or parts kits

Saw that. Price is high in my opinion but they look to be in nice shape. There are a few parts kits floating around that aren't Allied Armament but they are over priced considering they have no barrel.

Apparently ATF changed the importation rules a few years back which is why you see fewer and fewer kits with the barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom