• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sernv99

Mar 20, 2009
    Fairfax
    I live in Loudoun County, VA and it is about a 45 minute drive to Charles Town, West Virginia from where I live. I would like to explore about buying some land out near the Kearneysville area. What is the area like in terms of land availability? I guess a big enough parcel to target shoot guns (max caliber would be .308 for rifle and 12 gauge for shotgun) and to hunt on without neighbors complaining about it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well for $300/yr you can shoot to your heart's content at 340 defense range (goes to 400 yds, you can shoot .50 bmg there) 5 miles up rt 340 from rt 7. no hunting there though. on the way there recently i recall seeing at least one farm up for sale.

just shot at peacemaker range today (they're only $200/yr with a ton of different ranges, but again no hunting) and noticed a handful of real estate signs for 20 acres up to i think 200 something acres, taking the back way (up rt 9).

i also live in loudoun on 5 acres and have got a few deer with bow and shotgun slugs, so you don't need a ton of land, but it does need to be situated nicely.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    IMO you'd be better of looking for something west of I-81 in either western Berkeley or Hampshire County.

I work in Kearneysville; Jefferson County is pretty well zoned and developed at this point.

Oh and welcome to WV - if the property you own isn't your primary residence, your tax rate is doubled. Take that into account with annual expenses. I found out the hard way. :mad54:

sernv99

Mar 20, 2009
    Fairfax
    Thanks for the info on this. I was looking at houses near Kearneysville and man, you can get a nice, fairly recently built house for under $300k.....something that would go for over $400k here in northern VA.

davsco: is Peacemaker worth the trip (and the membership fees)? I shoot mostly sporting clays and some trap but would like to find a range where you can shoot everything (shotgun, pistol, rifle) without having to trek to different ranges, like what we have here in northern VA.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    check out peacemaker's website. they will give you a full tour, not sure if shooting is included. can't hurt to schlep out there to check them out, maybe an hour and a half from ffx. $200 seems to be a pretty good price for all they have (1000 and 1200yd ranges, handful of tactical bays, shotgun, etc, but it's not just a quick 15 min drive.

340 range will be half an hour closer. no shotgun, but pistol and rifle.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I was looking at houses near Kearneysville and man, you can get a nice, fairly recently built house for under $300k.....something that would go for over $400k here in northern VA.

before you think about moving there (or anywhere), absolutely do the work commute during regular commuting hours, to and from!

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I live in Loudoun County, VA and it is about a 45 minute drive to Charles Town, West Virginia from where I live. I would like to explore about buying some land out near the Kearneysville area. What is the area like in terms of land availability? I guess a big enough parcel to target shoot guns (max caliber would be .308 for rifle and 12 gauge for shotgun) and to hunt on without neighbors complaining about it.

We are looking down there too. I would like to live out further in the WV but need to stay within commuting distance. Wild and wonderful! Good bye Maryland!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Oh and welcome to WV - if the property you own isn't your primary residence, your tax rate is doubled. Take that into account with annual expenses. I found out the hard way. :mad54:

I'm curious to know how they compute that, other than self disclosure. I assume this is property tax.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    I'm curious to know how they compute that, other than self disclosure. I assume this is property tax.
    Most likely it's cross-reference with state DMV records. Also, if the property is unimproved then obviously no one's living there.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Most likely it's cross-reference with state DMV records. Also, if the property is unimproved then obviously no one's living there.

From what I understand you don't need too much documentation of residence to register your cars in WV, just a utility bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom