• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Recently, I've been wanting a Ballester-Molina...and I had some extra money...and I had a couple of beers...So, naturally, this showed up in the mailbox today:

20130508191422.jpg

20130508191524.jpg

Absolutely covered in dirt and crud inside and out. No obvious rust, but a nice film of rust and dirt on the extractor, firing pin, mainspring, and trigger spring--basically everything inside. Complete disassembly, and liberal application of mineral spirits, brush, and 000 steel wool took care of most of that, though. Hosed everything down with kroil and broke out the picks and qtips for nooks and crannies.

It seemed really..er...not "used" at all when I first opened the box and worked the slide a few times. Then I got it apart and was all, "oh, right, dirt and crud...like putting 50wt in an old car you're gonna sell."

However, after cleaning for two hours and getting it back together, it's only a TINY bit looser. This thing is well put together. I approve.

Serial on the backstrap matches the one inside the slide...and the "issue number" on the top of the slide matches the barrel. Unfortunately, the Mag number doesn't match either (note mandatory foot):

20130508191724.jpg

Externally?

tumblr_lthtl8QfpK1qfu4tho1_250.gif

The finish is...er...well seasoned and the grips are shot (already have replacements coming from Sarco), but what do you expect from a $300 retired federale?

20130508191756.jpg

20130508191633.jpg

20130508191603.jpg

This old girl is NICE. Feels better than most 1911s I've fooled with...including the wife's Kimber.

Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Nice piece! Glad you snagged that one. I'm rather partial toward Argentine and (most) Spanish pistols. The Ballester is very similar to the Star B ... and that's a good thing! The fact that it's a National Police gun makes it that much more interesting. Now you need one from the Army, the Navy, the Coast Guard, provincial police departments, etc.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    ... and the grips are shot (already have replacements coming from Sarco), but what do you expect from a $300 retired federale?

Soooo...the "Original Ballester Molina Grips" came from Sarco today...

37739189.jpg

They're not the right size. I mean, TINY. Maybe 1 1/4" wide...barely cover the mag well, and they're maybe an 1" too short. Needless to say, the holes don't match up.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Soooo...the "Original Ballester Molina Grips" came from Sarco today...

37739189.jpg

They're not the right size. I mean, TINY. Maybe 1 1/4" wide...barely cover the mag well, and they're maybe an 1" too short. Needless to say, the holes don't match up.

Another reason not to due business with Sarco.....:sad20:

I stopped since they refuse to recognize C & R license from Marylanders. Won't even sell a C & R gun to us FTF at their PA store. Spend your C & R $$ elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom