• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Given the power situation around the country and my chances of ever finding any H335, is there a powder measure that is accurate with the extruded powders such as IMR 4198 that I can use on my L&L AP?

The Hornady measure can't handle extruded very well.....

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Not that I know of.

When loading with extruded powders I prefer a trickler type powder measure. The one I use is an RCBS Charge Master Combo. It does not mount on a progressive press.

This process will slow you down.

Instead you will have to get a powder funnel die to put in place of your powder measure. This will allow you to drop powder using the scale tray from the Charge Master after a correct weight has been measured.

This eliminates cutting the extruded powder.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    The Hornady powder measure is about as good as they come.
    Now, what makes you think that the powder measure is not "good enough?"
    Stick powders have been winning benchrest competitions for decades and virtually all charges are thrown by volume and not by weight.
    Any charge variation less than 0.5% (and, usually 1%) of the target charge weight will have no impact on group size.
    Finally, if you wedded to the thought that weight is critical, then get a powder dispenser. RCBS makes a great unit.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    The Hornady powder measure is about as good as they come.
    Now, what makes you think that the powder measure is not "good enough?"
    Stick powders have been winning benchrest competitions for decades and virtually all charges are thrown by volume and not by weight.
    Any charge variation less than 0.5% (and, usually 1%) of the target charge weight will have no impact on group size.
    Finally, if you wedded to the thought that weight is critical, then get a powder dispenser. RCBS makes a great unit.

I prefer precision, but it's more than that.. When IMR 4198 causes damage to the case mouth/neck trying to cut through the stick, I figure it's time to look for an alternative. :D

Last edited:

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    How can the powder ding up the case? It is being "cut" in the powder measure between the hopper and the cavity. The powder than drops an inch or so into the case. Explain your complaint.
    Precision (notice, your spelling is not too precise) is all the benchrest shooters ever want and they certainly don't, or didn't, sweat the exactness you want.
    Are you even shooting a benchrest or long-range target rifle that MIGHT even see the difference?
    However, it is your load and your happiness. As I said, get a powder dispenser. All your issues solved at once.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some of the long range guys are getting VERY a**l about charge weight. They are going to high end scales that measure down to .01 grains. Less the one piece of an extruded powder.

Funny thing is, commercial match ammo is done by volume.

I prefer to scoop/trickle extruded powders. I don't like cutting the grains. Or use one of the electronic measure/scale setups. RCBS Chargemaster, Hornady, PACT, etc.

The Lyman 55 powder measure is setup so you can use a deep measuring chamber, so there is less cutting, as the opening is smaller.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Some of the long range guys are getting VERY a**l about charge weight. They are going to high end scales that measure down to .01 grains. Less the one piece of an extruded powder.

Funny thing is, commercial match ammo is done by volume.

I prefer to scoop/trickle extruded powders. I don't like cutting the grains. Or use one of the electronic measure/scale setups. RCBS Chargemaster, Hornady, PACT, etc.

The Lyman 55 powder measure is setup so you can use a deep measuring chamber, so there is less cutting, as the opening is smaller.

The RCBS Charge Master is great for extruded powders. I prefer to load my bolt action rifle ammo on a single stage press.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    How can the powder ding up the case? It is being "cut" in the powder measure between the hopper and the cavity. The powder than drops an inch or so into the case. Explain your complaint.
    Precision (notice, your spelling is not too precise) is all the benchrest shooters ever want and they certainly don't, or didn't, sweat the exactness you want.
    Are you even shooting a benchrest or long-range target rifle that MIGHT even see the difference?
    However, it is your load and your happiness. As I said, get a powder dispenser. All your issues solved at once.

The case activates the drop, so when the sticks bind the rotor it causes the case mouth/neck to deform.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The RCBS Charge Master is great for extruded powders. I prefer to load my bolt action rifle ammo on a single stage press.

It works well with other powders also.

I am sitting priming 500 .308 cases for loading on my single stage press. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom