• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    The UTAS 15 has received many mixed reviews. NutnFancy (yeah, he's a douche, but still, he really puts guns through their paces) had multiple problems with his, and FPSRussia supposedly had issues with all three of his during testing. {Shrug} I'd wait till they get it figured out. New designs don't instill confidence in me, particularly when they are made in Turkey. If it was $500, maybe, but $1200...no way.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Neither.

Both haven't truly instilled the thought of "100% Reliable" in my mind yet.

I can deal with ugly, I can deal with primarily polymer - if it's reliable.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Neither.

Both haven't truly instilled the thought of "100% Reliable" in my mind yet.

I can deal with ugly, I can deal with primarily polymer - if it's reliable.
    You say you can "deal" with polymer...but if you had a choice..would you? I know they've made truly miraculous advances in polymers, but still; I'd rather sacrifice a little weight and have metal. I love my AUG/MSAR, but it would never be my go-to rifle just because of the polymer trigger group (even though it's never had so much as a hiccup since I've bought it). I'd consider the Kel Tec, but something made in a Third World country?

Jeb Uberstead

Apr 19, 2013
    Carroll Co
    You say you can "deal" with polymer...but if you had a choice..would you? I know they've made truly miraculous advances in polymers, but still; I'd rather sacrifice a little weight and have metal. I love my AUG/MSAR, but it would never be my go-to rifle just because of the polymer trigger group (even though it's never had so much as a hiccup since I've bought it). I'd consider the Kel Tec, but something made in a Third World country?
    True.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Tough decision to make.

"Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain".

For me it depends on the platform, in a handgun, sure. Even in a rifle, ok. But a shotgun, ehhh..., I think I'd take a touch more weight if it meant piece of mind.

Time will tell if either is worth their salt, for now though, I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The KSG feels better in the hands and I think it is a shorter OWL. Both look badass but I am leaning KSG if prices ever come to earth.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Mossberg 590a1 can't afford either....but if I could I would choose UTAs it looks like something out of halo...:innocent0

Jeb Uberstead

Apr 19, 2013
    Carroll Co
    Polymer

Almost all guns are made with some sort of polymer these days. It comes down to the gun functioning. The fore end of the KSG breaks (on some occasions) due to stress placed on a very little section of the bottom pic rail. You need an angled grip to distribute the stress evenly.

carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I've lusted after the UTAS ever since I first saw them on Fringe. Iffy reviews aside, if my LGS had one, I'd walk out with it.

Anyone know of a place with them in stock?

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    I have not shot either one, but if I will have to choose it will be KSG because of Kel Tec! Kel Tec's reputation on their product, and warranty/customer service stand behind their firearms is unbeatable!!

Jeb Uberstead

Apr 19, 2013
    Carroll Co
    I have not shot either one, but if I will have to choose it will be KSG because of Kel Tec! Kel Tec's reputation on their product, and warranty/customer service stand behind their firearms is unbeatable!!
    I've heard good and bad about Kel Tec customer service. I've only heard good things about UTAS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom