• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Has anyone brought up in argument that a MD HQL can not be used to purchase a handgun by itself?

Maryland intentionally made is harder to purchase a handgun, because the ID card by itself doesn't pass the Brady act.

Yes, in the HQL suit. Not directly relevant in the Kolbe litigation.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don't have a sense of what's typically put forward in these briefs, but Viera went (in part) with the argument that the citizenry must have adequate arms to resist and potentially overthrow a tyrannical government. Kudos for not mincing words, but I wonder (if not previously confronted with this argument) how the SC justices will react. Perhaps it carries less impact as an amicus brief.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't have a sense of what's typically put forward in these briefs, but Viera went (in part) with the argument that the citizenry must have adequate arms to resist and potentially overthrow a tyrannical government. Kudos for not mincing words, but I wonder (if not previously confronted with this argument) how the SC justices will react. Perhaps it carries less impact as an amicus brief.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The SCOTUS has never accepted the argument about the 2A overthrowing a tyrannical government, because the SCOTUS is part of the tyrannical government.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I asked this questions here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4912958&postcount=11

I'll ask it again here.

Yes,

Governors can file an amicus brief. Hogan has an entire office of legal counsel.

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/08conoff/html/01govf.html#legal

Hogan can in theory, but I am not entirely sure its a good idea. Any dispute over who was authorized to seek review, file briefs, or intervene in the case could make it less likely Supreme Court would take it. See here:

Given the blizzard of filings over who is and who is not authorized to seek review in this Court under North Carolina law, it is important to recall our frequent admonition that “[t]he denial of a writ of certiorari imports no expression of opinion upon the merits of the case.”

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/051517zor_986b.pdf Its pretty clear that SCT wanted to take this case but the blizzard of filings and dispute made them shy.

If they think that they cannot get to the meat of the case without getting distracted by other procedural issues, they will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom