• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I found a box of WRA 6 M/M USN in a box of my dad's (in with 32 acp and 380 Auto of all things).

Do you know of a source for this ammo?

I found this site: http://oldguns.net/catammo.htm#USRfile - Where empty and partial boxes are listed.

I wish I had a full box, but technically don't since the one round with a different primer is REM UMC. Also, the box says full copper jacket, but they don't look it... would it have aged like this? Are they reloads?

Any info would be appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
    upper right is marked REM-UMC

5.jpg
    the one on the right is the REM-UMC

6.jpg
    Compared to 30/30 and .223

The following is a folding card that is in the box...
    7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Those are definitely reloads, since the box says they are not only copper jacketed, but FMJ.

Very interesting find. I saw a Lee Navy rifle at the Chantilly show back in December for a little over $3k in decent condition. While the Army was using Krag, which had a five round magazine that had to be single loaded, the Navy and USMC were using the Lee Navy rifle which was loaded via five round en bloc clips.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Those are definitely reloads, since the box says they are not only copper jacketed, but FMJ.

Very interesting find. I saw a Lee Navy rifle at the Chantilly show back in December for a little over $3k in decent condition. While the Army was using Krag, which had a five round magazine that had to be single loaded, the Navy and USMC were using the Lee Navy rifle which was loaded via five round en bloc clips.

Thanks for the info.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I didn't know the Lee navy existed until a few months ago. After reading about it I ddon't understand why the Army didn't adopt it after the Spanish american war

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There is usually a 2 or 3 old ammo guys at the Nations Gun Show in Chantilly that collect and sell. They are good people and may have what you are looking for, or give you a lead on it.

Bring the box. The guy on the endcap to the right about 4 rows from the entrance is your best bet.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I didn't know the Lee navy existed until a few months ago. After reading about it I ddon't understand why the Army didn't adopt it after the Spanish american war

Because the Dons shot our asses off with Mausers in Cuba. Suddenly, nothing but a Mauser would do. If you didn't have a Mauser, you didn't have nothing. The 1903 Springfield is an American Mauser.

The British came to the same conclusion after the Boers shot their asses off with Mausers in South Africa. A committee was charged with designing a British Mauser. Their version, the Pattern 13 was sidetracked by the outbreak of the Great War.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    There is usually a 2 or 3 old ammo guys at the Nations Gun Show in Chantilly that collect and sell. They are good people and may have what you are looking for, or give you a lead on it.

Bring the box. The guy on the endcap to the right about 4 rows from the entrance is your best bet.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I'm not really looking for it, except to try to get a value on it. Empty boxes or partial boxes are listed on that site I posted above for $35 and up, but I don't know what they actually SELL for. Also they have rounds listed for 3.50 per round I think. So if they were SELLING for what is listed, my find would be worth the trip... but if not, all I'd get out of it was a Gun Show. Hmmm.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

The fact that it was a Navy and Marine Corps weapon also probably didn't help matters with the Army.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The fact that it was a Navy and Marine Corps weapon also probably didn't help matters with the Army.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

It is amazing how territorial the services can be.

And how stupid the Army Quartermaster Corps can be.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This ^^^^^^^^^^

It is amazing how territorial the services can be.

And how stupid the Army Quartermaster Corps can be.

It apparently used to be much worse prior to the National Security Act of 1947. Before that, there was no Department of Defense, but instead a Department of War and a Department of the Navy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom