• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    The girlfriend would like to get some training on the use of folding knives as a last resort defensive weapon (she carries one anyway for miscellaneous tasks as many of us do.) Is there anywhere in MD that offers such training/classes/seminars? I'd rather not suggest she fly out to take a class with Michael Janich. $$$$

Thanks!

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Has she considered pepper spray instead?

I second this motion. I don't know your girlfriend, but I do know human nature, character, knives, pepper spray and the will to survive and confidence.

In order to use a knife defensively, the user needs to manipulate it in a very violent and forceful feat of fighting. Close quarters requires skill and strength.

Pepper spray allows for distance, incapacitation. It requires very little physical strength and is very forgiving in that you cannot kill someone with pepper spray if you didn't mean to (read legal).

My .02

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I suggest she look into Krav maga. I took it for many years and it does touch on knife fighting as well as disarms for knives, firearms and other weapons. Krav maga on my opinion is one of the most practical martial arts, and doesn't matter how big or small you are. There was a 90 pound woman in my class that was paired up with a 280 pound guy. She took him down.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I suggest she look into Krav maga. I took it for many years and it does touch on knife fighting as well as disarms for knives, firearms and other weapons. Krav maga on my opinion is one of the most practical martial arts, and doesn't matter how big or small you are. There was a 90 pound woman in my class that was paired up with a 280 pound guy. She took him down.

Krav and many other "defensive tactic" classes require weekly/monthly consistent training in order to be effective. It is just like working out going to the gym.
    Learning to deploy and use pepper spray simply requires a class on how to properly use it and when. Pretty sure the OPs girlfriend isn't looking for a lifestyle of classes to be proficient in defending herself.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    The post was more intended if she decides to use knives, I would recommend her using pepper spray without proper training.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I second this motion. I don't know your girlfriend, but I do know human nature, character, knives, pepper spray and the will to survive and confidence.

In order to use a knife defensively, the user needs to manipulate it in a very violent and forceful feat of fighting. Close quarters requires skill and strength.

Pepper spray allows for distance, incapacitation. It requires very little physical strength and is very forgiving in that you cannot kill someone with pepper spray if you didn't mean to (read legal).

My .02

+1

I just taught a small SABRE pepper spray class today. We would have been happy to have her.

Attachments

• sabre051014d.jpg
      sabre051014d.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 145
    • sabre051014de.jpg
      sabre051014de.jpg
      56.4 KB · Views: 138
    • sabre051014a.jpg
      sabre051014a.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 139

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    RE: pepper spray...I bought my wife some a few years back and got her started carrying it. I wanted her to know what it felt like to actually spray a person so I tried to get her to spray me. I've been direct sprayed a few times in training and it sucks but I don't mind doing it for the wife. Anyway, she flatly refused. So I got a training can of OC and had her spray me with that while it was in her purse and I ran at her from the other side of the living room.
    After she saw how difficult it was to deploy and use it, she took it more seriously. I inflated a balloon and moved it around and had her hit it with the training OC.
    She now carries her OC everywhere. Point to all the above; pepper spray is better than a knife in unskilled hands but if you (the OP) go that route, make sure she get's a little practice in. Training OC cans are pretty cheap.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As ProShooter stated, pepper spray is a great alternative. I teach the SABRE CSAP class too and find many of my attendees never realized just how important it is to know how to use the spray.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    To answer your question. Look at self defense martial arts schools, there programs will probably eventually train in knife defense and maybe knife fighting.

Otherwise: The first rule of knife fighting is: don't...run instead. You don't win a knife fight. The BEST you can do is make your attacker lose worse then you.

If you are not training regularly in how to fight with a specific weapon, you are not going to be effective with it.

Either train properly or just get some pepper spray.

Think of it this way. Having never played golf, would you take a golf lesson or two, then go to golf course and play for money against some random player? Even if you are playing against someone who completely sucks, the odds are they are going to slaughter you.

Rob.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Thanks for all the advice.

Regarding the pepper spray, she already carries it. While she hasn't been to a class for it, we did do some informal training. I bought a couple extra ones so she could practice spraying a small target eye to eye. That way she understood what to aim for, and she had a good grasp of how the stream actually deploys. (stream vs fog vs foam, etc.) She also understands blowback from the wind and even experienced it a little bit.

So yes, we've done pepper spray, and she may be interested in taking a pepper spray class in the future.

However, I am asking specifically about knives. While she doesn't carry it for self defense, rather utility tasks, she understands that it can be deployed that way in an emergency if pepper spray and escape are not viable options. She just doesn't know how to deploy it in that manner in any meaningful way other than, as ASOIAF says "stick him with the pointy end."

Thanks for the tips!

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Otherwise: The first rule of knife fighting is: don't...run instead. You don't win a knife fight. The BEST you can do is make your attacker lose worse then you.
    Rob.

This

Was watching the Black Belt class at my daughters Karate Dojo the other day...
    In essence they were told...you will most likely get cut in a knife fight, the trick is to be better at disarming the attacker than he is at cutting you...if you can just get away from the threat first

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    This

Was watching the Black Belt class at my daughters Karate Dojo the other day...
    In essence they were told...you will most likely get cut in a knife fight, the trick is to be better at disarming the attacker than he is at cutting you...if you can just get away from the threat first

Tristar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom