• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keymod vs M-LOK

• Total voters

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Key mod looks like metal shelving. It's a solution to a problem that never existed. If you absolutely have to spend hundreds of dollars to save a few ounces there's a bigger problem. I'm really digging the look and feel of keymod but for me I only see diminishing returns on it.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Both are lighter than quad rails and facilitate attachment of accessories directly (or indirectly which allows you to carry over your 1913 accessories as you phase them out over time). Aesthetically I prefer MLOK, though it takes more time to attach. MLOK has a staggering number of accessories given how long it's been out vs Keymod; the Keymod accessories were just starting to hit the market en masse when MLOK launched.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Key mod looks like metal shelving. It's a solution to a problem that never existed. If you absolutely have to spend hundreds of dollars to save a few ounces there's a bigger problem. I'm really digging the look and feel of keymod but for me I only see diminishing returns on it.

See my Building a Lighter AR thread. In speed competitions, lighter usually means faster. If I can shave a few ounces here and there on a competition rifle, it shaves time off of my times. I'm building another upper using parts with an eye towards saving weight. If I can find a significantly lighter handguard in the length I want, it will be the one I choose to get.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I don't see mlok fixing a problem from keymod. Magpul had to do something to look like they were innovative. The keymod was open source, so I don't think it would have cost them anything. I remember being at the magpul booth in Harrisburg last year. I asked their rep why no keymod? He said they weren't gonna do it for some lame reason. It was already in development is why. Pure marketing. I liked their accessories and wanted to put them on my NSR.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If I can find a significantly lighter handguard in the length I want, it will be the one I choose to get.

What length? I went with the SLR Rifleworks Ion Ultra-Lite in 13.7" to cover rifle length gas, but not add unnecessary ounces by going the full 15". SLR claims 9.2oz with hardware for this length. The lightest I could find without going to a custom carbon fiber handguard (glued to the barrel nut) was the KMR magnesium from BCM, but I didn't want to pay $275 or whatever.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I don't see mlok fixing a problem from keymod. Magpul had to do something to look like they were innovative. The keymod was open source, so I don't think it would have cost them anything. I remember being at the magpul booth in Harrisburg last year. I asked their rep why no keymod? He said they weren't gonna do it for some lame reason. It was already in development is why. Pure marketing. I liked their accessories and wanted to put them on my NSR.
    I am not sure it's that simple. I've read that the M-lok exists because it works better mechanically for plastic parts.

For instance
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?164594-any-benefit-to-Mlok-over-Keymod&p=2074944#post2074944

May 13, 2005
    Damn holes are just big enough to get the tip of your pinky in there and then shift your hand and your pinky is now broken. Also walking through brush sucks with them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    MLOK will kill KEYMOD IMHO.

KEYMOD CONS:
    Keymod looks like metal shelving.
    Keymod is harder to machine from what I have read.
    Keymod is not as durable with polymers from what I have read.
    Keymod does not have the fast attach/quick release stuff that MLOK now has.
    Keymod accessories seem to have problems with users stripping out the locking screws.

KEYMOD PROS:
    Keymod is lighter.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    MLOK will kill KEYMOD IMHO.

KEYMOD CONS:
    Keymod looks like metal shelving.
    Keymod is harder to machine from what I have read.
    Keymod is not as durable with polymers from what I have read.
    Keymod does not have the fast attach/quick release stuff that MLOK now has.
    Keymod accessories seem to have problems with users stripping out the locking screws.

KEYMOD PROS:
    Keymod is lighter.

Was wondering where you were.

I just have Keymod because PSA includes the midwest industries SSK-15 with some their uppers. Out the door, no other company is touching their price.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I own rifles with both. I prefer the keymod only because it seems things fasten on easier for me.

Bingo! While I prefer the looks of M-Lok, when I fasten something with Keymod everything is more positive. In spite of that I feel M-Lok is bound to "win" in the long run due to the sheer quantity of Magpul products.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Bingo! While I prefer the looks of M-Lok, when I fasten something with Keymod everything is more positive. In spite of that I feel M-Lok is bound to "win" in the long run due to the sheer quantity of Magpul products.

Agree - prefer Keymod, though I think Magpul will kill it. Beta vs VHS all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom