KeyMod rail - anyone put one through it's paces??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    There are modular handgaurd tubes like that on the LWRCI IC and SPR rifles that have screw holes for the purpose of attaching rail segments for only the item you want and need. The Keymod serves the same purpose. So why bother if you are going to use rail to attach to anyways. I feel the Keymod is redundant unless the items are made to be able to attach directly to it. So there would be less parts , weight, and simplified.

Jester, I saw the Jack Carbine with the attachments, but it looks like it still required a Keymod plate. Which would serve the same purpose as the LWRCI modular tube handgaurd.

Their are plenty of modular rails available already. Not just the one found on the LWRCI IC and the PRI tubes on the SPR builds. Geissele, Centurion and KAC make some very nice modular rails. The problem with them is that there is no standard. They all use proprietary mounting solutions and some of them require back plates that not only add weight but can be hard to install.

The purpose of Keymod is to standardize the mounting solutions and cut down on the amount of Picatinny you need covering the handguard. It's meant to work in parallel with Picatinny. It's not meant to replace it.

Here is a video of the Thorntail Keymod Mount. It might give you a better idea of how it works and how Keymod works parallel with Picatinny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rguk8GJJsWM

At the end of the day, Keymod is still very new so there isn't going to be a ton of accessories available for it. The larger players in the industry such as KAC, Noveske, BCM and VLTOR are all in the process of developing and testing Keymod accessories. If I had to guess, you're going to see Keymod blow up this year.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    No, mounting accessories at 45 degrees is not one of the main selling points of Keymod although accessories such as flashlights and offset irons benefit greatly from it.

Keymod is supposed to work in parallel with Picatinny which is why you see rails with a mixture of both. The main benefits are weight savings, smaller diameter and they don't feel like a cheese grater on your hand.

You can still use any Picatinny accessory you already own with Keymod.

I understand the concept. It gives you more flexibility to mount Picatinny rails where you need them instead of covering the whole rail with them. This makes for lighter rails without gobs of unnecessary sharp corners. Brilliant idea IMHO.

My point was that one of the benefits of that concept is that it becomes easier to mount accessories at 45 degree angles. The rail in the OP lacks that ability because it doesn't have KeyMod slots off the primary axes (i.e. up/down, left/right).

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I can kind of see the benefit of a lighter rail system for some applications (namely military where you actually will be lugging around a rifle at all hours of the day) otherwise I couldn't see buying one unless it was for a virgin build and the price was comparable to 1913 rails.

That being said of the personally owned rifles I have seen I'd say 9 out of 10 only have rails to hold rail covers. It's like putting steel wheels on your car so you can buy fancy hubcaps.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've considered getting one for my Colt Commando-alike.

Right now, it's wearing an old Surefire carbine quad rail, and while the Surefire does the job, it's really rather obsolete; heavy, non-free-float, and doesn't give me a same plane top rail. I'd like to shave some weight off the rifle if I could...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    It's like putting steel wheels on your car so you can buy fancy hubcaps.

You got a problem with my 15" spinner hubs, son?

lowb2.jpg

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I can kind of see the benefit of a lighter rail system for some applications (namely military where you actually will be lugging around a rifle at all hours of the day) otherwise I couldn't see buying one unless it was for a virgin build and the price was comparable to 1913 rails.

That being said of the personally owned rifles I have seen I'd say 9 out of 10 only have rails to hold rail covers. It's like putting steel wheels on your car so you can buy fancy hubcaps.

All things being equal, they are priced the same as Picatinny handguards.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I just built a rifle for a friend with a key mod rail. It is definitely lighter. But installing panels and key mod accessories wasn't as easy as I imagined. If this is the future. I hate it already.

If you ever paint the handguards. Any coating that changes dimensions. The key mod accessories won't slide in. If you do get them on. You won't get them off without a hammer and some kind of punch.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I just built a rifle for a friend with a key mod rail. It is definitely lighter. But installing panels and key mod accessories wasn't as easy as I imagined. If this is the future. I hate it already.

If you ever paint the handguards. Any coating that changes dimensions. The key mod accessories won't slide in. If you do get them on. You won't get them off without a hammer and some kind of punch.

What kind of paint did he use? Depending on how much paint he used and what kind of paint he used, it could easily throw off the tolerances Keymod accessories are made to.

Also, what kind of handguard was it?

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009

Which handguard?

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    You make it sound like BCM invented Keymod. It was actually invented by VLTOR and first introduced by Noveske.

About a year ago, VLTOR released the blue prints and patent on the design in hopes to standardize the platform. It's still very young but as you can see, all the major players are jumping on board.

Here is a article talking about how Keymod came to be and what it's advantages are. Like the article says, VLTOR doesn't want Keymod to replace Picatinny. They want Keymod to work parallel with it.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/07/25/vltor-gives-the-keymod-tdp-to-you/

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

I'm guessing you know as I didn't read article (on phone) but Eric Kincel was the one that made it free domain while at vltor. He's widely credited with being at the forefront of these systems. He's director of something now at BCM.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'm guessing you know as I didn't read article (on phone) but Eric Kincel was the one that made it free domain while at vltor. He's widely credited with being at the forefront of these systems. He's director of something now at BCM.

Eric Kincel is director of their Research and Development out in Las Vegas. BCM opened up a second facility out there a little over a year ago. The facility does nothing but test and develop new BCM products.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The intent was to build a super lightweight carbine with quality Lightweight components. Less than 6 lbs empty.

So this build consist of:

Noveske lightweight( pencil bbl, 1/9 twist, 16" with switch block), SS
    NSR keymod rail , relief cut for the switchblock
    AAC brakeout, 51T
    magnesium lower
    magnesium upper
    BCM CH
    BCM bolt
    NEA PDW stock with bolt carrier
    tac Con 3MR trigger
    magpul grip
    Eotech w/3x magnifier
    Durakote FDE( as th parts came in in various shades of gray/ black)
    Keymod panels, hand stop, KM to 1913 rail section
    magpul AFG, BUIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom