• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Some things really amaze me, like when I learn something new about something that's been around for a long time. Take for instance the Kestrel wind equipment that is commonly used in long range rifle shoots. Very useful for gathering info to nail a shot. But do you know where the name came from? I assumed it was the inventor's name, but it isn't. It's named after a bird:

220px-Common_kestrel_falco_tinnunculus.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kestrel
    The common kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) is a bird of prey species belonging to the kestrel group of the falcon family Falconidae. It is also known as the European kestrel, Eurasian kestrel, or Old World kestrel.

But this is where it gets interesting:
    https://animalcorner.org/animals/kestrel-bird/
    Kestrels can be easily identified by their hunting behaviour, hovering low over grassland in search of prey. Kestrels have keen eyesight enabling them to spot small prey from a distance. They are able to hover at a height of around 10 – 20 metres over open countryside.

Kestrels hover effortlessly for long periods of time by flying into a light headwind and making continuous small adjustments to its wings and tail while it hangs on an rising draught of air.

While hovering, the Kestrels head is kept perfectly still giving it the ability to spot the slightest movements on the ground.

Video of this happening:

I think it's really cool when someone names something after something else in real life, and they absolutely NAIL it. This is one of those times. The Kestrel bird is able to read minute changes in the wind perfectly in order to find prey and execute a strike. The Kestrel tool does the same thing for long range shooters.

I thought I'd share 'cause I think this is really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom