• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Wasn't looking for this puppy, it was one of those "bookmark it for research and a possible bargain opportunity" items. Found this Winnie 1907 along with another in a tiny Iowa auction where a respectable Winchester collection was a big chunk of the catalog. What had my eye was a nice example with Kentucky State Police marks. SN dated it to the very early 50's. I was able to glean a bit of information and found another example with a SN and property number just 18 digits off of this one. It also sported an electro-pencil engraved property number. So I was confident that provenance was good and I found it very appealing.
    -The "plain" 1907 sold first when the auction went live. Sadly someone had switched magazines so that the proper 10 round mag for the KYSP example was on the wrong rifle. But I wasn't deterred as there are no lack of factory built 10 round mags out there. Just a bit pricey at around $175-200 these days. So I needed to get the rifle cheap for it to make fiscal sense.
    -Cheap came knocking as the first 1907 with "my" 10 round mag sold for only $375. Hundreds under what I would appraise for one in VG condition. So when the KYSP came up I knew the reserve bidder was fixated on a $350 max bid. And I was right as it sold to me for the same price: $375! Now I could source the correct mag and stil be in it for not much more than $600 delivered. Well under what one of these sold for three years ago.
    -Showed up yesterday and again condition was much better than the subpar auction photos showed. Very pleased! and they were kind enough to pack it in a padded soft gun case which was much appreciated. I fully expect this one to have been carried more than shot and have significant finish wear but no such thing, it was well loved with minimal wear and tear.
    -The Kentucky State police used the Winchester 1907 from about 1952 up to the early 70s when they were retired and sold off. I'm guessing around the time that the new Ruger Mini-14 hit the market with a big splash. The Ruger was less expensive (I remember them selling retail in the low $200 range in the late 70s), with high capacity mags, and a better cartridge. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the direction they went. I know I would have.

Attachments

• IMGP0064.JPG
      IMGP0064.JPG
      195.1 KB · Views: 124
    • IMGP0066.JPG
      IMGP0066.JPG
      131.1 KB · Views: 112
    • IMGP0067.JPG
      IMGP0067.JPG
      101.9 KB · Views: 115
    • IMGP0068.JPG
      IMGP0068.JPG
      198.1 KB · Views: 117
    • IMGP0069.JPG
      IMGP0069.JPG
      157.7 KB · Views: 115
    • IMGP0070.JPG
      IMGP0070.JPG
      234.4 KB · Views: 113
    • IMGP0071.JPG
      IMGP0071.JPG
      190.7 KB · Views: 119
    • IMGP0072.JPG
      IMGP0072.JPG
      237.7 KB · Views: 116

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Do you reload for that round? I've never heard of .351 Winchester until I just looked it up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 1907 in .351WSL was more popular than the 1905 in .35WSL and 1909 in .401WSL .

Also moderately popular for woods hunting , they were popular with LE , Prisons , Industrial and Mine Guard forces .

A popular debating counterpoint about Evil Black Rifles . To wit , medium power , semiautomatic rifles , with detachable magazines , suitable for both defense and sporting use have been in common use for 118 years with no hoopla .

Jul 1, 2012
    That's awesome Mawkie!
    Is the magazine that's in it factory or aftermarket?
    The change to the curved end on the action rod seems like it could be painful :)
    IMGP0069.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's awesome Mawkie!
    Is the magazine that's in it factory or aftermarket?
    The change to the curved end on the action rod seems like it could be painful :)
    View attachment 424708
    That is a Winchester factory mag. Not cheap with these selling for $200 in today's market. I'll sell off the 5 round factory mag to pull back some of that outlay. But had to make it right as the KYSP rifles came with the 10 round mag.
    There are stories about labelling the 1907 a "widowmaker" based around someone supposedly chambering a round with the buttstock on the ground, muzzle facing up. He then proceeds to push down on the cocking plunger and somehow the rifle fires into his head. Sounds a bit preposterous but that's how campfire stories start.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Of you can find it, it can be $3 or more per round.
    That's part of why the Winnie 1907 doesn't sell as well as it's primary rival the Remington 8/81. Most Remington 81s are found in 300 Savage which is much more affordable than .351 WSL. The only advantage the Winnie has is that the factory high capacity 10 rnd mags are not crazy hard to find. Remington never built a high cap mag. Back in the day Peace Officer Equipment made a 15 round mag for the Remington 8/81 but those are stupid hard to find and Lord knows what it would cost.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    One minor thing to add. Note the sling swivels. Something that only police versions had. Odd that a sling wasn't available for a rifle that was heavily advertised for the sportsman to carry in the field. And this puppy is HEAVY for such a compact carbine, you'd want to shoulder it if schlepping for any length of time/distance. 'Tis not an Armalite design!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom