• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I finally took out my Sub2000 this morning. Went to my local indoor range so I was only able to test it out to 25 yards.
    I thought I was going to have to spend some time sighting it in but lucky for me, the factory set zero was right on the money at 25yrds. I have read here, and on other forums that the Kel Tec has a 2-300 round break-in period. Another thing I read is that it doesn't like anything under 147gr 9mm during the break-in period. Unfortunately, all my 9mm stock is 115gr Freedom Munitions stuff. Decided to take it out anyway and have some fun. Here are my pros and cons/observations:

Pros
    - Very tight groups at 25yrds, would like to see how it does at 100yrds.
    - Trigger is a little heavy but breaks quickly.
    - The carbine itself is extremely light, I felt like I was shooting a toy gun.
    - Very little recoil.
    - It folds nicely and fits in my small range bag.

Cons
    - I had 6 stove pipes and they all happened on the last round in the mag.
    - Stock is very short, it felt like shooting an AR with the stock collapsed all the way.
    - It's very hard to get a good cheek weld with ear pros.
    - After shooting 150 rounds, the gun was extremely filthy (nastier than my AR after 500 rounds).

Overall, I am very pleased with this carbine. It was accurate, and fun as hell to shoot. I am hoping that the stovepipe problem will stop once it's "broken in". BTW, I was only using Glock 17 factory mags, not the POS 10 round mag that came with it.

Anyway, I just thought I would give a quick range report. I'll be sure to follow up once I've truly put some rounds through it. Hope this helps anyone out there lucky enough to find one.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I finally took out my Sub2000 this morning. Went to my local indoor range so I was only able to test it out to 25 yards.
    I thought I was going to have to spend some time sighting it in but lucky for me, the factory set zero was right on the money at 25yrds. I have read here, and on other forums that the Kel Tec has a 2-300 round break-in period. Another thing I read is that it doesn't like anything under 147gr 9mm during the break-in period. Unfortunately, all my 9mm stock is 115gr Freedom Munitions stuff. Decided to take it out anyway and have some fun. Here are my pros and cons/observations:

Pros
    - Very tight groups at 25yrds, would like to see how it does at 100yrds.
    - Trigger is a little heavy but breaks quickly.
    - The carbine itself is extremely light, I felt like I was shooting a toy gun.
    - Very little recoil.
    - It folds nicely and fits in my small range bag.

Cons
    - I had 6 stove pipes and they all happened on the last round in the mag.
    - Stock is very short, it felt like shooting an AR with the stock collapsed all the way.
    - It's very hard to get a good cheek weld with ear pros.
    - After shooting 150 rounds, the gun was extremely filthy (nastier than my AR after 500 rounds).

Overall, I am very pleased with this carbine. It was accurate, and fun as hell to shoot. I am hoping that the stovepipe problem will stop once it's "broken in". BTW, I was only using Glock 17 factory mags, not the POS 10 round mag that came with it.

Anyway, I just thought I would give a quick range report. I'll be sure to follow up once I've truly put some rounds through it. Hope this helps anyone out there lucky enough to find one.

Run some Federal or Blazer through it, mine does fine. Hates UMC primers, hates frangibles (hope it does better with HPs). Strange, mine came with an actual glock 10rd mag. Awesomely accurate for what it is given the sights, extremely light and poorly crowned barrel and all the other stuff that are typical Keltec. As I have mentioned before I realy need a a .40 one to go with my Sig 226.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Run some Federal or Blazer through it, mine does fine. Hates UMC primers, hates frangibles (hope it does better with HPs). Strange, mine came with an actual glock 10rd mag. Awesomely accurate for what it is given the sights, extremely light and poorly crowned barrel and all the other stuff that are typical Keltec. As I have mentioned before I realy need a a .40 one to go with my Sig 226.

Sorry, should have specified that the 10 rounder is a Glock mag. It just sucks that it's the same size as the G17 mag but only holds 10. I ordered a couple of Glock factory 33 round mags specifically for the Kel Tec. :party29:
    I only hear good things about it and overall, I am very pleased with it.

If your cons outweigh the pros I'll take it off your hands lol

LOL...the list of cons may be longer than the list of pros, but the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for offering though :D

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    great report!!!

I love my SUB2000 and your report is accurate and I have to agree with all your points except that I've got about 500 rds of the crappiest ammo through mine and its never stove piped. did you try out different mags and different ammo?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    great report!!!

I love my SUB2000 and your report is accurate and I have to agree with all your points except that I've got about 500 rds of the crappiest ammo through mine and its never stove piped. did you try out different mags and different ammo?

Thank you!
    I tried out different ammo (PMC Bronze). I shot my Glock 26 first and then switched over to the Kel Tec so I was only left with 10 rounds of PMC Bronze and 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions. I didn't have enough PMC to really conclude whether it was the ammo or the mag. As for the magazine, I only had one G17 mag with me (more are on order). I wouldn't think the mag would be the issue but you never know. Once I get my other mags in, I will take it out again and be a little more prepared with a variety of ammo and mags.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks for the report. I borrowed my friend's and loved it. Now time for me to find one

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Quick question for those of you in the "know". I don't like the feel of the grip and would like to put a grip sleeve on it. I've used the Hogue before but don't like the palm swell. Has anyone tried the Pachmayr and if so, what size fits the Sub2000? I tried to google it but keep getting conflicting info.

Thanks.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Sounds right, I have one in .40S&W Glock mags. I love it, I want to put a bunch more through it until I can rely on it though...I will occasionally and without rhyme or reason get FTEs where the round comes out and is then rammed into polymer around the ejection port. Sucks because they get really jammed in there, not an easy thing to clear.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Quick update:

I went out this afternoon and shot another 150 rounds using a Glock 17 mag and a 33 round Glock factory mag. I also split the 150 rounds between 3 brands. I shot 50 rounds of Federal Walmart stuff, 50 rounds of PMC Bronze, and 50 rounds of Freedom Munitions reloaded ammo. I only had 2 stove pipes this time and they were both with the Freedom munitions ammo. I have never had an issue with the FM ammo so I am attributing this to the whole "break in" thing. I can tell you that even though this is only the 2nd time I have shot this, I am a big fan. I cannot emphasize enough how much fun this gun is.
    Another thing that made it more enjoyable is the Pachmayr grip glove I put on it. After doing a little research, I ordered the Pachmayr grip glove made for the S&W Sigma and it fit perfectly. The grip feels so much more comfortable and doesn't give you the palm swell that the Hogue grips have.

Once again, I am very happy with this little carbine and cannot wait to get it to run completely without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom