• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out: The 16C is listed as banned ("copycat" weapon). http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Note the date (11/9/2015)

Copycat means it has a detachable magazine and any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor.

Folding stock... check.

What the heck is the second feature? Are they banning this based on a threaded barrel, which presents the mere possibility of a flash suppressor??

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Maybe the fact that 1) the stock folds under. 2) has flash suppressor 3) has detachable magazine = magic 3 ... :shrug:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Maybe the fact that 1) the stock folds under. 2) has flash suppressor 3) has detachable magazine = magic 3 ... :shrug:

Doesn't have a flash suppressor. Just a cap on the threaded barrel

The su-16d is the version that has a flash suppressor.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If it really had a flash suppressor, that would make sense. All I saw was a threaded barrel, hence the ?.

Mine has a flash suppressor. I believe the threaded barrel is a feature that counts. But the under folder stock is probably the kicker.

They are probably equating it to the AK47... as in, "a copycat of".

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

The list specifically says 16C. Not D,A, the CA model.

Mine has a flash suppressor. I believe the threaded barrel is a feature that counts. But the under folder stock is probably the kicker.

They are probably equating it to the AK47... as in, "a copycat of".

Threaded barrel is not one of the evil features. Folding stock; Grenade or flare launcher; Flash hider.

It is definitely not a copy of an AK47.

Seems like people have been purchasing this cash and carry for a while, but it just went on the list 11/9/2015?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The list specifically says 16C. Not D,A, the CA model.

Threaded barrel is not one of the evil features. Folding stock; Grenade or flare launcher; Flash hider.

It is definitely not a copy of an AK47.

Seems like people have been purchasing this cash and carry for a while, but it just went on the list 11/9/2015?

I never said it was a copy... I suggested that maybe they see it as one. I don't know why they banned it. I bought mine five years ago OTC. I'm trying to figure out what their thought process is on the subject myself.

Maybe a FFL Dealer can find out why they changed it from OTC to Banned. :shrug:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I never said it was a copy... I suggested that maybe they see it as one. I don't know why they banned it. I bought mine five years ago OTC. I'm trying to figure out what their thought process is on the subject myself. Maybe a FFL Dealer can find out why they changed it from OTC to Banned. :shrug:

Someone must have asked the MSP for "clarification".

Just like the sig brace, someone had to go and screw it up for everyone else.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Someone must have asked the MSP for "clarification".

Just like the sig brace, someone had to go and screw it up for everyone else.

Most likely... Some folks just have to ask silly questions and F it up for others. :shrug:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Is there a problem with Keltec?

Mine couldn't get thru a mag without jamming. SU16CA. Keltec changed the charging handle, polished the carrier, etc. I polished the ejection port. Various mags. I wanted really bad to love the rifle, but it was a turd, and on the Keltec forums there were reports of the bolt carriers hitting the back of the receiver and cracking it. I don't know if the problem has been resolved, but it certainly was a fun range gun between jams, and very light, fairly accurate, and I wanted to love it, but it didn't love me back.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Well, I think I'm going to go for getting the keltec16 SU-C off of the MSP list.

They list it as a copycat

3) Is this weapon considered to be a copy of a banned weapon? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

-No, it has no parts that would interchange with any of the originally banned semi-auto centerfire rifles that were listed in the FSA2013. The parts only exchange with others in the keltec 16 series and none of those were on the banned list.

4) If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

-No, it only has a folding stock, it cannot accept a grenade launcher or flare launcher and does not have a flash suppressor. It only comes with a threaded barrel.

5) If this is a rifle, does it have a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

- No, it has a removable magazine.

6) If this is a rifle, what is the overall length of the weapon? If the stock is fully extended and there are no removable additions to the barrel, is the weapon less than 29 inches? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

-No, it's overall length is fine with the stock extended. It's 35.5" long

So according to this list it should not be banned.

They specifically call out the SU-16C, not the A, B, CA or D (which would be NFA)

Here is a link to MSP's reviewed firearms list:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Attachments

• Keltec16A.jpg
      Keltec16A.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 255
    • keltec16B.jpg
      keltec16B.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 257
    • keltec16C.jpg
      keltec16C.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 225
    • keltec16CA.jpg
      keltec16CA.jpg
      26.1 KB · Views: 256
    • keltec16D.jpg
      keltec16D.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 332
    • Kel Tec.png
      Kel Tec.png
      13.7 KB · Views: 231
    • keltecMSP1.jpg
      keltecMSP1.jpg
      104.1 KB · Views: 230
    • keltecMSP2.jpg
      keltecMSP2.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 311

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Any constructive input is appreciated.

I say GO FOR IT! It would be nice to know why they placed it on the damned list to start with. I suspect that someone with little or no understanding of the platform requested that it be put there. OR used it in a comparison in the attempt to get something else taken off of the list. Folks just can't leave well enough alone until well enough can be rectified and made better. :sad20:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Evidently the online MSP roster has been fixed and this is now listed as not banned. Oddly, the date of determination is the same as before. But they also grouped this under the other 5 Kel Tec weapons.

I am thinking this was a typo in the online list. Some typo!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Evidently the online MSP roster has been fixed and this is now listed as not banned. Oddly, the date of determination is the same as before. But they also grouped this under the other 5 Kel Tec weapons.

Further proof of how much of a joke some of that list is. :sad20:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Cool ... Thanks for checking...

I notice that they also dropped the double listing for the manufacturer.

There were two KelTec listings in the prior screen. The SU16C was a seperate line from the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom