• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    UPDATE # 2 he entered his serial number into their online recall database and it wasn't recalled.

UPDATE #1 we learned there is a recall
    We have recently identified an issue with the heat treatment of certain steel tubes received from a third-party supplier from which the barrels for a limited number of Gen 2 SUB-2000 rifles were manufactured. This could potentially cause the barrel to rupture when a cartridge is fired and could result in serious personal injury. The safety of our customers is our primary concern, so Kel-Tec has voluntarily initiated this recall because of the possibility of a barrel rupturing.

________\\\

Brand new Kel-Tec 2000 .40 cal, following the 2nd shot the frame fractured.

Friend cleaned it, brought it to the range this AM, all of us waiting our turn to shoot.

Friggin amazing, no injuries.

Attachments

• 48F7240B-6F58-4868-A29E-EC8678D0EC5A.jpeg
      48F7240B-6F58-4868-A29E-EC8678D0EC5A.jpeg
      366.4 KB · Views: 184
    • 44073897-79C7-4D38-BB69-7497757E5E46.jpeg
      44073897-79C7-4D38-BB69-7497757E5E46.jpeg
      299.2 KB · Views: 175
    Last edited:

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Yikes! I've put hundreds of rounds through my .40 model without issue but this is definitely a concern with a very plastic-y design. One of the few guns I have that I feel like I could easily snap in half if I wanted to...

Do you know the year made on the gun (I know you said brand new but not sure if it had been sitting somewhere)? Wasn't there a recall around the barrels being able to handle certain pressures a few years ago?

Good news is that I haven't heard of this being common and I have confidence that Kel-Tec will take care of you (and probably throw in some extras for your troubles).

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wow, my gen 1 9mm still running strong .... I think. Thanks for posting and keep us updated.

Edit: Any chance it was ever shipped FEDEX? j/k

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am sure kel-tec will make it right. It is a very "plasticy" gun could be anything from over pressure in the chamber to a flaw in the polymer.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    I see you learned of the recall. But if this is a new gun with a new manufacture date then that recall may (should?) not be applicable.

Definitely interested so please keep us updated!!!

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Wasn't that recall a 5 years ago?
    Yeah several years ago at least because I had to send my gun in. At the time I recall on the forums that .40 was likely not impacted at all and Kel-Tec was just being super cautious. My gun was fine and they just stamped the barrel to show it was tested.

Which is why I wonder if this is related if it's a new gun. Could be an entirely different issue.

Was there anything funny with the ammo? Assuming it was the factory magtech in the picture? Any odd recoil on the first shot (super soft) or second (super hard)?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Yeah several years ago at least because I had to send my gun in. At the time I recall on the forums that .40 was likely not impacted at all and Kel-Tec was just being super cautious. My gun was fine and they just stamped the barrel to show it was tested.

Which is why I wonder if this is related if it's a new gun. Could be an entirely different issue.

Was there anything funny with the ammo? Assuming it was the factory magtech in the picture? Any odd recoil on the first shot (super soft) or second (super hard)?
    Both rounds sounded normal, following the issue, we examined the spent brass, no issues. He is going to send them back with the firearm.

The recall was in 2017, that was 5 years ago. As u stated maybe new issue. Waiting to hear back from friend on his conversation with Kel-Tec.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Haven’t shot mine yet, several years old. Checked the numbers for the recall. Odd thing is I thought I bought a 40, the price tag says .40. But nope barrel is 9mm.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom