• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    In my case, AR, and a muzzle loader (rifle). Had rain get on the AR yesterday, down inside around the barrel and I don't know how to get the shroud thing off to clean and oil. If things keep up, I will be out every non snowy/sleeting day of late ML too, and need to keep the top covered.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Haven't figured out a technique to keep the gun dry while hunting so I choose what I hunt with based on the weather. I'm in western MD this week and chose to bring the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter rather than the National Match M1A. Much prefer hunting with the rifle (I know, M1A isn't exactly a hunting rifle) but can't stand the thought of my M1A rusting. Also bought a muzzleloader this year...got one with a stainless barrel to help prevent rust when the weather is nasty. Will be taking it out in a few weeks...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Get yourself some spray gunnoil, and apply the lube generously

The internals and your scope are what really matter.

For the muzzle loader, use a bit of tape on the end of the barrel to steer rain away from down the barrel when shoulder carying.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Get yourself some spray gunnoil, and apply the lube generously

The internals and your scope are what really matter.

For the muzzle loader, use a bit of tape on the end of the barrel to steer rain away from down the barrel when shoulder carying.

Or a condom.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Rule number one when picking a hunting gun that might get rained on:

Don't get a hunting gun you don't want to be rained on......:D

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    To get the handguards off an AR you have the upper and lower together, the gun vertical with the buttstock on the floor. Grab hold of the conical shaped ring with little ridges on it with you thumb and forefinger of your strongest hand. Hold it close to your body and lean down on the ring with you body weight while you take the two halves of the handguard off with your other hand. I have seen some pretty small soldiers manage to do this. If that doesn't work, buy that tool.

My gun gets a good coating of some sort of gun oil, grease or wax prior to jumping in puddles in the rain. I cut off the fingers of heavy duty rubber gloves to use as a barrel cover. Harbor freight sells them in black also so you can still be color coordinated. The barrel cots that are specifically made for this purpose tear too easily. Condoms are too big for most barrels.

After I get back to the truck, I take the gun apart to field strip condition, wipe the rain off the parts and spray it down nice n heavy with some sort of gun oil spray and let it sit in the case still apart with the case open to air out the moisture. I do a detailed cleaning at home. Alternately, I just hunt with a stainless gun and clean it at home.

Related question to the group. WD-40 is water displacing. Given I would apply real gun cleaning/lubing products at home, anyone seeing a problem with dousing rained on gun parts with WD-40 for the ride home?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    To get the handguards off an AR you have the upper and lower together, the gun vertical with the buttstock on the floor. Grab hold of the conical shaped ring with little ridges on it with you thumb and forefinger of your strongest hand. Hold it close to your body and lean down on the ring with you body weight while you take the two halves of the handguard off with your other hand. I have seen some pretty small soldiers manage to do this. If that doesn't work, buy that tool.

My gun gets a good coating of some sort of gun oil, grease or wax prior to jumping in puddles in the rain. I cut off the fingers of heavy duty rubber gloves to use as a barrel cover. Harbor freight sells them in black also so you can still be color coordinated. The barrel cots that are specifically made for this purpose tear too easily. Condoms are too big for most barrels.

After I get back to the truck, I take the gun apart to field strip condition, wipe the rain off the parts and spray it down nice n heavy with some sort of gun oil spray and let it sit in the case still apart with the case open to air out the moisture. I do a detailed cleaning at home. Alternately, I just hunt with a stainless gun and clean it at home.

Related question to the group. WD-40 is water displacing. Given I would apply real gun cleaning/lubing products at home, anyone seeing a problem with dousing rained on gun parts with WD-40 for the ride home?

The only problem with WD40 is the residue, which is flammable.

If you give firearm a good cleaning before your next use, then no worries.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

That is the only thing WD40 is good at (and what it was designed for). Use it to displace the water, take home, clean, coat with oil.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    That is the only thing WD40 is good at (and what it was designed for). Use it to displace the water, take home, clean, coat with oil.

Noooooo.
    It's good for catching catfish, my uncle said he sprayed it on a rag and catches catfish in Kentucky. He swears by it.:rolleyes:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have hunted in the rain, sleet & snow with bolt action rifles and semi-auto shotguns for a long time and never had any issue.

All I would do is make sure my muzzle was down if it was raining.
    If I'm expecting rain even slightly I have blaze & green ponchos (depending on the game being hunted) and I would try and keep the gun as dry as I could by keeping it under the poncho. That didn't work 100% though. All it takes is having to take a shot when it's pouring and your poor gun is soaked.

At the end of the day I'd dry the gun off using a hair dryer on warm followed by making sure the magazines were dry and pushing an oily patch down the bore.

When I got done with hunting I'd field strip and lubricate normally.

But what 's the problem with a little rain anyway? :D
    [I own a Sig 516 btw]

[YT]?v=3-N_KEhIw74[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom