• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have a neighbor who bought a 2nd vacation home in TN a few years back.
    He is a MD resident and (from what I am guessing) has a collection of Handguns and long arms. He mentioned he keeps some of his collection at is out of state 2nd home. (assuming these were purchased after 2013)
    How does Maryland view that? say if some "safe storage" law was passed and they wanted to inspect,, or say his kid pissed off the school teacher and "red flagged" him and the crown came by to "temporally" hold onto his guns, and he could not produce what is on his list??

Hypothetical "what if",, just curious on how the crown feels about you keeping "Maryland regulated firearms" out of state?

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Interesting question! I have no correct answer, but I suspect it may be answered in the "Transporting Firearms" sections of the MD firearms laws.
    At the very least, I'll bet "you have to notify MSP" etc etc... My Guess:MSP will say "not disapproved", but your "voluntary" registration will remain in the depths of their file room "FOREVER" !!!!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    He is a MD resident and (from what I am guessing) has a collection of Handguns and long arms. He mentioned he keeps some of his collection at is out of state 2nd home. (assuming these were purchased after 2013)
    How does Maryland view that? say if some "safe storage" law was passed and they wanted to inspect,, or say his kid pissed off the school teacher and "red flagged" him and the crown came by to "temporally" hold onto his guns, and he could not produce what is on his list??

Hypothetical "what if",, just curious on how the crown feels about you keeping "Maryland regulated firearms" out of state?

They can't inspect shit. There is no law that says I need to show them a gun on demand or account for it's location if I know exactly where it is and it is safe. Fvck them.

Don't answer questions.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Think about all those boating accidents, what’s that all about?
    Maryland can’t force him to go to Tennessee and bring back anything.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

It’s none of Maryland’s f’ing business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Not sure if it’s relative but more than a decade ago a woman wouldn’t tell a judge where her little children were so he jailed her for contempt. She stayed there until he was convinced she’d never reveal their location. She seemed crazy. I doubt our judiciary would have any such leniency on lawful firearm owners.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    So they come and take your registered guns. 2 weeks later you shoot an intruder. You say nothing. , "I built that last week." You haven't been arrested with the ERPO and are not a prohibited person. They take that PMF. Rinse and repeat.

Your lawyer answers questions.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Nothing at all wrong with what he is doing. I would encourage it even. Especially if this "ghost gun" BS passes, just move 'em all out of state.

As for getting swatted, not much can be done about that. If the LE agency received a report they believed was in good faith, they are coming and the reach of a MD EPO does not extend out of state (IANAL). If the the LE agency should have known the report was questionable and they execute it anyway, it would be at their own peril later to get tuned up in court.

The LE agencies are in a difficult position in these matters, and I think most of them are being as careful as they can to vet these reports first before they go kicking down doors. Or maybe I am naive, but this is what I hope.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So they come and take your registered guns. 2 weeks later you shoot an intruder. You say nothing. , "I built that last week." You haven't been arrested with the ERPO and are not a prohibited person. They take that PMF. Rinse and repeat.

Your lawyer answers questions.

An ERPO band you from possession in this state. So whether it was a PMF you made after the fact or one you failed to turn over you’d be committing a crime.

I am pretty sure Maryland can’t regulate your behavior out of state in this case. So if the person went back to TN they could possess whatever they wanted to there according to state and federal law.

You step foot back in to Maryland with one of those guns though and crime.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    An ERPO band you from possession in this state. So whether it was a PMF you made after the fact or one you failed to turn over you’d be committing a crime.

I am pretty sure Maryland can’t regulate your behavior out of state in this case. So if the person went back to TN they could possess whatever they wanted to there according to state and federal law.

You step foot back in to Maryland with one of those guns though and crime.

An ERPO can suspend a fundamental right? I hope the courts smack this crap out of the park.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    IIRC, the reason an ERPO was passed was because it "does not suspend due process".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom