• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    for those of you who fish tidal waters in your kayaks, do you have to have a sea kayak? I have a 10 ft and have only been on lakes and rivers. i feel like it'd be pretty difficult in any current

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Most guys fishing use SOT's or Sit on Top kayaks and its the best choice if you go out on open water like the bay. When on open water you most likely want a rudder to help fight rough water and the wind to get back in. You can use any kind of SOT for the bay, but most guys perfer the Hobie as you can pedal instead of paddle.

The gy with the Big striper is Alan Battista and that "Light tackle kayak trolling" is the name of his book and you can buy it and read all about it. This shows where to buy it Facebook, Amazon and a bunch of local shops.

This the rig he tells you how to make in the book and similar to what he trolls.
    10468213_1485953708338551_7367886558826754769_o.jpg

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    If anybody wants to go out on the Magothy for some perch fishing let me know. I can borrow another yak if you don't have one. This thread has me wanting to go out

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Any of you pussies up for some perch fishing on the Magothy early sat? I can borrow another yak if you don't have 1. They're calling for rain but F it I am a man

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Well since I am the only one posting here. Woke up at 4:00 am to go out. Couldn't find tackle box,went to walmart to p/u a couple things and made it on the water by 7:45:sad20:. Caught a whole lot of bay grass and 1 fish. Forgot my water bottle and was back in at 10:00. Was good getting out there considering I didn't go out at all last year.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I love kayak fishing. Attached is a picture of my rig. I go out on the Potomac as often as possible. On my maiden voyage I caught a 30# catfish while bass fishing with a spinner bait. That was a fun fight!

I usually put in at Columbia Island Marina or Riverbend.

https://db.tt/5ZkR8won

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    Nice Setup, I really need to get a crate or bucket in mine to organize it a little more. Went out Saturday for the first time this year. It always amazes me how little I need once I'm on the water.

Finally got in the water just past 11am in the upper bay, fished the channel edge, and chose to drift rather than anchor up. Fishfinder found quite a few schools, and some larger fish. Got into the white perch for sure, but they were all on the smaller spectrum so I C&R. Ended up just calling it a day with a big cat that I had to run to shore to secure. Realized I had no bucket to throw him in, so in a mesh bag he went.

Any other options outside of a 5 gallon bucket to hold your catch?

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Man this is something I've wanted to do. What is the weight? I just keep wondering if I could do an "Eskimo roll" and get out. I've seen pics of guys tying a line on their fishing poles just in case.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hows that work for you? im planning on trying that in oc this year. only thing is I don't have an ocean kayak, its just a 10ft sit in

I've caught two 200# sharks by rowing out tuna heads. It's a pretty surreal experience, pitch black, bloody tuna head on a huge hook in the boat with you. And of course trying to beach the kayak in the dark ain't all that easy, have had some pretty rough getoffs and face plants. Again, I rowed out the bait and manned my rod & reel on shore or pier, wasn't fishing from the kayaks. If lucky you can also find a jet skier willing to take out baits for you, or a kite works if the wind is right, as do balloons.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I've caught two 200# sharks by rowing out tuna heads. It's a pretty surreal experience, pitch black, bloody tuna head on a huge hook in the boat with you. And of course trying to beach the kayak in the dark ain't all that easy, have had some pretty rough getoffs and face plants. Again, I rowed out the bait and manned my rod & reel on shore or pier, wasn't fishing from the kayaks. If lucky you can also find a jet skier willing to take out baits for you, or a kite works if the wind is right, as do balloons.

what type of kayak do you have, sit in or sit on top? also, about how far out did you go?

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm currently shopping for a sit on top fishing minded kayak. Some of these things cost more than my first and second car. (that's not saying much)
    Any recommendations on a fishing minded kayak?
    The offerings from Hobie look very interesting.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Anyone on here big into fishing from kayaks? I sure am :party29:, I haven't taken mine out yet but im shooting for this weekend. What kind of rigs do you guys have? Where do you fish? Spring has sprung and im sure a lot of the fishing guys (myself included) on here are getting excited

My stepson has been big into this even entering tournaments in Maryland 2 weeks ago (he won the kayak division for single longest fish) and in New York (where he merely had a great time).

http://mssa.net/standings-results

Look at Kayak Division for single longest.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what type of kayak do you have, sit in or sit on top? also, about how far out did you go?

I just rented - was a sea kayak, sit on top. rowed out 300-400 yards, dropped off the bait and returned to pier/shore. have some big penn reels (9-0 to 12-0).

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I'm currently shopping for a sit on top fishing minded kayak. Some of these things cost more than my first and second car. (that's not saying much)
    Any recommendations on a fishing minded kayak?
    The offerings from Hobie look very interesting.

Hobies are nice! If you live near the water or if you have help loading and unloading the boat or if you never fish shallow or weed filled water. My buddy has one and he is about to buy a sit on top for last minute fishing excursions.

I bought the VersaBoard because it is a kayak and a stand up paddleboard. Its nice to be able to stand up and stretch out after several hours on the water. Also its nice to be able to stand up and sight cast.

Another neat thing is the ability to dodge the wind or use it to your advantage.

Its not for everyone, my buddy's hobie is way faster and he can fish while peddling.

A few pros and cons off the top of my head....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom